The AUSSIE ONLY FUEL SURVEY

Preferred fuel and location

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I tried BP Ultimate when I first bought my bike but now prefer to run on Premium Unleaded from any garage although I seem to get best results from Caltex.
We all use different 'servos', country and city, inland and coastal.

I am interested in what you use and where it comes from.

I am also interested in success stories like this one.
**I Stopped at a little country milk bar once with one pump at Anakie in Victoria and paid 10c a litre more than the city to fill up and got a whopping 300km before the Fazer switched to reserve mode.
** Rode the exact same ride today in similar conditions using BP Ultimate and only got 250km before reserve tripped in.

Are those servos doctoring their fuel?
Are we paying for Premium Unleaded and getting 91 Octane?
HMM maybe I am just a suspicious Barrister but......
I will certainly get some evidence here.
Rumpole

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
I used to work in servos before eagle on the hill turned into a race track!

I personally choose BP ultimate every time unless I am stuck in between states and have no choice but some other random servo.

I have tried Mobil in the city but their equivalent did not seem to have the same get up and go as the ultimate. It also did not seem to last as long.

Last time I put some random country servo fuel in I noticed the change almost instantly and promised my bike a decent refuel as soon as i could find it. You have to remember that these old servos get a delivery once a month?

BP Crafers I always avoid due to the fuel looking a different color than barker and glen osmond.

Now I am going to take a stab and say most here will use BP ulitmate. Mainly due to the first ride I went on with the guys here in SA.

When looking for fuel we stopped at BP and we all waited in turn to use the Ultimate pump!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah i use BP Ultimate, but dont mind the Caltex or mobil premium 98 octane fuel..

As for consumption...i never get good numbers...in fact i struggle to get 200km's out of a tank ever...no matter how i ride!

But i really dont care now much fuel i use...it's still way cheaper to fuel up the fizzer, than to take the 6 cylinder falcon, that has a very heavy drinking problem!

:D

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
BP Ulti is my first choice.

I have a total personal ban on Shell however, even if I am with other riders filling up there I won't, and alot of bike shops I have talked to have admitted similar sentiments, including some who used to run race bikes, saying that Shell in Australia is just crap fuel and causes ALOT of problems. (I had issues on my old bike, as did a HD rider I knew, and once we stopped using it at the recommendation of our different workshops the problems dissappeared)

I get 200ish K's city riding pretty consistently, but I've had well over 300 on the rare nail biting occasion :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BP Ulti is my first choice.

I have a total personal ban on Shell however, even if I am with other riders filling up there I won't, and alot of bike shops I have talked to have admitted similar sentiments, including some who used to run race bikes, saying that Shell in Australia is just crap fuel and causes ALOT of problems. (I had issues on my old bike, as did a HD rider I knew, and once we stopped using it at the recommendation of our different workshops the problems dissappeared)

I get 200ish K's city riding pretty consistently, but I've had well over 300 on the rare nail biting occasion :D

Yes, i wont use Shell, it's crap...makes my bike's run like $hit! Evil fuel it is....caused a valve to stick on my Ducati one day....Evil!

:D

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BP Ultimate ONLY. We live in the country so Mike quite often takes the jerry can to work and fills up on Wednesday (when it's cheap....), so we can ride country roads at the weekend with no probs.

Otherwise we fill up in Midland or Belmont - wherever we are but we always hunt out the BP for the bikes.

Won't use Shell - crap for bikes (but I use it for my car ;))

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have started using Shell V Power these last few months , the FZ only ever drank BP Ultimate & I suckled the XJR on it aswell :D untill I was riding to work one day & I noticed I was nearly out of motion lotion :( Off into the Shell I headed & I have never looked back , the V Power is at least 30k's a tank better economy wise & has noticeably better throttle response & pulling power :rockon:

I have been told by my old boss who worked in & around the oil industry that Mobil Synergy is the absolute best fuel on the Aussie market but as I dont have one near me I cant validate that with any figures.... I need fuel on the way home tonight so I might google Mobil's around the office & see what shows up :thumbup:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually noticed the V Power did feel alot better on my last bike, as did my HD mate, which is why we used it.
My bike ended up with massive problems, and just wouldn't run normally, while his HD would literally just randomly stall while doing 110km/h on the way down the highway to Sydney, wouldn't reliably run, and just generally did bad things.

As soon we as changed the bikes problems disappeared. It did take a while for them to really become an issue, but I'd never use it again, despite the extra oomph compared even to the BP Ultimate, I'm sure there is something in it that isn't good for bikes. Just my 2c tho.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually noticed the V Power did feel alot better on my last bike, as did my HD mate, which is why we used it.
My bike ended up with massive problems, and just wouldn't run normally, while his HD would literally just randomly stall while doing 110km/h on the way down the highway to Sydney, wouldn't reliably run, and just generally did bad things.

You cant blame the fuel for a HD's problems , they come standard from the manufacturer :D

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Only run my bike on BP 98. Only use 95 if im country towns where 'premium' to them is 95.

Will also use Caltex, but no way in hell is Shell getting near my tank.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Always use BP Ultimate here, but I noticed this morning that my local Caltex has just got the Vortex 98 on the pumps now. Might give that a go.

:rockon:

Yep, that's the good stuff, the Caltex Vortex 98! Seems to be especially good from the Caltex near the old workshop on Marion Road...which was handy...

:thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fueled up with 18.96 litres of Mobil Synery on the way home tonight, 1st thing I noticed is NO decel popping , its vanished :eek: Instanly........ And im thinking slightly smoother idle , better test will be in traffic tomorrow morning so I can check for pinging & throttle response but for now I cant explain what happened to the decel popping :don'tknow: Watch this space for mileage figure aswell :thumbup:

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
MOBIL Premium Unleaded
A 98 RON octane rating premium fuel manufactured to meet Australian Fuel Quality Standards.

Is this what you guys are trying?
I might swap from the 95 and see if there is a difference myself.
Rumps

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
I generally just use standard.. Am I a bad person? :BLAA:
Never ethanol blends though!

I just always thought the better fuel only benefits a bike if it gets tuned for it?

Is 98 really that much better than standard (I know it's not much money, just wondering).

Cool :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
MOBIL Premium Unleaded
A 98 RON octane rating premium fuel manufactured to meet Australian Fuel Quality Standards.

Is this what you guys are trying?
I might swap from the 95 and see if there is a difference myself.
Rumps

Yeah, i think most of us are using the 98 octane stuff, even though an FZ6 is supposed to be fine on 91 octane...in fact, can run with as low as 89 octane...i have read!

IMHO, the bike runs just that little bit more "sharp"....for want of a better word...Cleaner burning, and with all those "you beaut" additives to increase ecomony, clean your injectors, etc...there has to be some reasonable reason why we pay 10-15 cents a litre for the stuff.

I have always used 98 octane fuel, more so, because of my theory that my bike only gets the best...decent quality fuel & oil, etc, etc...rather than for performance reasons, in trms of HP...

i posted a similar thread to this a while back, and if i remember correctly, somene told us that Caltex premium & Mobil premium are the same fuel???

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I just always thought the better fuel only benefits a bike if it gets tuned for it?

Is 98 really that much better than standard (I know it's not much money, just wondering).

Azz, you're a very naughty boy :spank:

The difference you will hear in the engine from standard fuel to 98 is huge.

Treat your bike like a girlfriend - spoil her ;)

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site

Nope you aint a bad person :D

The regular V super unleaded petrol is the same as the mineral V synthetic oil debates
If you search,you'll see that it's all down to personal choice,with some swearing by the expensive stuff and others seeing it as purely marketing gimmicks to relieve you of your hard earned. ;)