BP Ultimate...is it the petrol of choice amongst Aussie's?

What fuel do you use?

• BP Ultimate, and nothing else

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • BP ultimate as a first choice...but will go with other if not available

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Any premium unleaded between 96-98 octane

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • the cheapest unleaded petrol available, as long as i dont run out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Regular unleaded petrol

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, something that i have noticed when riding in groups, is that a lot of us prefer to use premium fuel in our bikes....96-98 octane rating, and a lot of riders tend to use BP ultimate if they can get to it before they need more petrol!

so while i am in a "poll" type of mood, thought i would ask the questions, is this an Australia wide trend???

personally, i am a BP Ultimate type, although, not at all costs, but if i cant get it, i will put the highest octane rating available to me at the time, in my bike.

I know our bikes are designed to, and are quite happy running on the "garden variety" lower octane unleaded fuels available, but i just dont think it hurts to give your bike, cleaning burning fuel regardless.

:thumbup:

dantow

The Phoenix
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm the same mate. BP ultimate then vortex 98 or optimax. regular will do if i can't get the above

Dunny

Hit the road jack
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will use BP ultimate when ever I can. Further more if I use Shell V Power I get pinging. My company uses Shell and the cars definitely Ping, now an then we use Caltex and don't have the problem.

Something a Shell person acknowledged but would say any more

Food for thought

krushnuts

Where did I put my keys..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer the Mobil 8000, then optimax, then whatever. I try and avoid caltex and the no names.

Unsure why though, I did some scratching around about this subject and came across quite a few who reckond that the mobil sauce burned the cleanest and provided more power.

Also, I've a mate who's been a chemist for BP for over 20 years. He said that the regular fuel is all the same and the petrol companies buy from each other depending on distribution and availability. But the premium stuff is actually formulated differently by each oil company. There aren't that many components that go into making fuel with the ratios of these components making up the particular oil companies 'brand' of petrol. He rides an old harly road king which has a govenor on it. As a 'controlled' experiment we thought it would be reasonable to test different fuels out on his bike. When we used regular fuel, his top speed is about 150kph. When he uses the high octane fuel he gets 160kph.

Texperkin

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm the same. BP if I can get it. I actually think though that this is pure marketing (not the high Octane bit - the company bit). Maybe there's something more to it but their pumps are so much nicer :rolleyes:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm the same. BP if I can get it. I actually think though that this is pure marketing (not the high Octane bit - the company bit). Maybe there's something more to it but their pumps are so much nicer :rolleyes:

LoL! Aint we just suckers for a pretty face!

:eek:

Z

Zealadin

I have been told at 3 different dealerships, and one workshop:

DO NOT USE SHELL

Apparently the shell fuel is really bad in bikes, particularly the premium.
I ran my old bike almost purely on shell, has engine problems now, and a few places I took it too seem to agree that it was probably cause by running it just on the shell premium.

Always fillup premium, but BP or Caltex are highest on my list.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the normal old unleaded fuel,fill up at the same Mobil servo every week and never had probs with it .Used premium in my CBR and got better mileage and power........enough to warrant the extra cost ? ...............for some maybe but not for me.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been told at 3 different dealerships, and one workshop:

DO NOT USE SHELL

Apparently the shell fuel is really bad in bikes, particularly the premium.
I ran my old bike almost purely on shell, has engine problems now, and a few places I took it too seem to agree that it was probably cause by running it just on the shell premium.

Always fillup premium, but BP or Caltex are highest on my list.
Interesting, I might stop using the Shell (Premium) in the bike. I'm wondering if the mix is the same there cuz here our high octane is like 91. Just did a little search on Google and found out why our premiums have a different number.
Here's a link:Octane rating conversions between US and EURO gasoline - M3 Forum 2010 2009 BMW M3 2008 BMW M3 BMW E90 M3 E92

Good post!

Later,
Cliff

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
Always used regular unleaded, was told by my bike mechanic not to use premium, he did explain why but i don't recall. Something to do with the plugs i believe but I just took the advice not the lecture to follow.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Australian fuel is crap, what we consider premium other countries consider regular, found this alot when working for toyota. Our diesel is crap, that is why common rail injection is so far behind here, we are about 3 specs behind europe, euro cars now can only just tolerate our diesel to be able to run and not blow up. I mad my missus run premium in her pulsar when i met her instead of regular, and she got around 100km more per tank, but speaking to others they have said their cars run better on regular. When i got my first bike 6 years ago, the guys at work said suzuki had done testing to problems they were having her and found alot of them were caused by shell fuel, so i have always kept away. I use to use caltex vortex, untill woolworths got involved and then found the same issues as with early liberty fuel cars were breaking down due to fuel. So first i would use vortex from a non wollworths servo, then bp ultimate, must admit bp is what gets used the most, definately nothing that gets discount from shoppig at a supoermarket.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BP Ultimate is my 1st choice but after that whatever Premium is around at the time , have been told by a independant fuel rep that Mobil Synergy is by far the best fuel on the Aussie market but up here in QLD Mobil are very few and far between these days :(

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Aww crap. I always use Premium... From a woolies servo.
Thanks for the heads up Jules, I'll be heading to BP from now on... They're the same distance from home, just the opposite direction.

:rockon:

Z

Zealadin

I actually have to admit I could feel the difference in power with the shell premium, but the damage it did to my last bike.... well it wasn't normal wear and tear thats for sure!
I avoid normal unleaded because as someone else said our fuel quality is TERRIBLE.

I've also heard from some shops/dealers to avoid premium because the bikes aren't made to run it..... :scratches-head:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Could be, I remember something about 12.something to 1... Still means the engine is well equipped for higher octane fuel.

:rockon:

yeah the FZ6 is 12.2.1, R6 donor motor is 12.4.1, and yes your right....is perfectly fine with high octane fuel.

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
This has been an interesting thread, I'm motivated to try some different flavours of premium. I normally just use unleaded, but after heaps of people have said they use premium, I feel like a bad owner now! I even used shell unleaded a few times! Damn, I think that could be enough to be charged with Motorcycle Abuse!...LOL