BP Ultimate...is it the petrol of choice amongst Aussie's?

What fuel do you use?

• BP Ultimate, and nothing else

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • BP ultimate as a first choice...but will go with other if not available

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Any premium unleaded between 96-98 octane

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • the cheapest unleaded petrol available, as long as i dont run out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Regular unleaded petrol

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

b3nje909

Reaction score
Visit site
The place I got my first bike from is a Ducati/Triumph dealership and say to steer clear of shell, and that no race teams use it

Are you sayting, that a major sponser of both Ferrari and Ducati, would allow their premier international classes. to use another fuel??

I highly doubt it.

Given how stringent sponsership/placment has become for international tv events. to say that neither team would use anything else but Shell to me seems a bit a tall story.

Also, how did your dealer know this? Seems like a bit of a huge conspiricy tbh.

This topic, has come up a few times on different forums I frequent.
Generally the consensus is that Shell is crapola, but it could be for a few reasons.
1 the age of the tanks they have here (dirty)
2 how far away we are
3 our population size, is just not worth the effort..

Who knows, perhapes shell is good in other countries.
When I have travelled overseas (ok asia) I have never seen Caltex or Mobil or BP, only Shell and Petronas

Z

Zealadin

E10 also apparently lowers the octane rating of the fuel the higher revving a vehicle is, so with cars its negligable, but for bikes its a major issue since they rev so hard.
Was an interesting article in a magazine a while ago (threw out all my oldies due to space or I'd try and find it).

Also just to clarify before you continue to jump on my back, I'm talking about a -dealer- not a race team, making that comment (that no race teams they know of use Shell, they didn't mention what class of racing it was), shell fuel is considered total crap by every single person I have ever asked, which is about 4 different workshops and every dealerships I have visited from here on the north side all the way to parramatta/blacktown.
Not sure if you work at a Shell or something, but before I was told I ran my last bike on Shell, and would never do so again, unless it was a choice between pushing the bike and Shell fuel.

I also very much doubt that actual race teams are receiving the same fuel that we receive at the servo's.

It doesn't matter why the fuel is terrible, everyone pretty much agrees it is (in this country, which is where the poll was for). I wouldn't encourage anyone to use it, and I actively discourage any motorcycle user who mentions fuel from every buying it.
A friend of mine who has a HD also used Shell, and after many issues swapped, and since then his anchor has had fair sailing.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
vortex is what i use to use and what i got my missus to put in the car, but now, i dont know. Caltex is huge, they are a pain in us in the oil trades side. They have just bought 60 mobil sites i think.

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
I get more kms per tank on BP Ultimate than any other fuel I have resorted to buying. The Mobil equivalent was used last week and I got less than 2/3rds the distance and the responsiveness seemed lackluster.

Once I put a fresh tank of BP Ultimate in I was surprised on the performance gained..

SA riders should avoid filling up at Crafers tho. the fuel was not the same vibrant colour and the bike coughed a bit.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I get more kms per tank on BP Ultimate than any other fuel I have resorted to buying. The Mobil equivalent was used last week and I got less than 2/3rds the distance and the responsiveness seemed lackluster.

Once I put a fresh tank of BP Ultimate in I was surprised on the performance gained..

SA riders should avoid filling up at Crafers tho. the fuel was not the same vibrant colour and the bike coughed a bit.

Thanks mate:thumbup:.I've filled up at Crafers a fair few times and had no troubles so far, but you never know. (I think I've filled up a fair few times at most places...lol. I'm getting close to the 5 fills per week mark now:eek:)

Cheers
Mike

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Australian bikers sure do seem to love Pappagallo Brand Gasoline. They'll do anything to get their hands on it.

TankerClimb.JPG

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Caltex Vortex ( The 95 octane version)......filed up on this last week, bike has been running very smooth since....

:rockon:

mickdesu

Reaction score
Visit site
nn... I only used Shell V-power cos always available... now after reading your comments, I require wide eye open to find BP!! Not much BP available around Northern Beaches Sydney??

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to the BP Australia website and put in my postcode.
It has a map with the nearest 5 BP outlets showing that have the Ultimate 98 octane juice.
As I am riding to Shepparton this week, I will do same with the postcode thing for there and plan my refuels. It appears I will get at least 250 km before reserve if I keep it on the 2 wheels.
H.

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike lives on BP 98.

Only when im in those out of the way places ill use Caltex 95 or 98 or BP 95.

Ive had a few people warn me off using Shell, believe it has something to do with the additives in Shell that bugger up some bikes fuel systems

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wolfman and I only just discovered that other places have Vortex 98. We only have 95 in SA.

And :welcome: to the forum mate. Hope it is as good for you as it has been for me:thumbup:.

Cheers
Mike