The KTM Duke is growing on me

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always been intrigued by the performance but never liked the styling queues of the KTM naked bikes. For the last couple years I've been pondering my next bike, and since I've decided to keep the FZ6 for the rest of its life, whatever I get will be an addition rather than a replacement. I thought it would be cool to add a punchy twin to contrast with the inline 4 screamer. The obvious choice is the MT07, but in a new bike I am also considering stepping into the world of sophisticated electronics. The KTM has everything but active suspension. Then again, I could save the tech for my next, next bike and get an MT07. I am sure it would be great fun.

The early 790 had issues with leaking oil and coolant, and I'm not sure but I think they blew head gaskets like the 390 did. At 13:1 and getting close to middleweight 4 cylinder peak horsepower numbers, it's no surprise they had some reliability issues. I think the issues are fewer with the newer bikes. Definitely keeping an eye on them and will try to ride one when the weather warms up.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I go through newbikeitis every now an again, and the 890 or 890R would certainly be on my list (as would about 1/2 dozen other bikes). The circular discussion I always have is "how is this bike really any different, or serve a different purpose than, the FZ6?". I find that I lust over bikes just like the FZ6 (100hp, lightweight, sport-standards). Sure the FZ6 doesn't have an EMU or ABS, but it has well sorted out EFI. I've also invested in improvements to my bike that quite frankly stop me dead in investing $10,000+ in a new machine. A new sport standard will not make my life any better.

Now, if I was looking at something completely different like a K1600 so my wife and I could two-up around the country - that's a different story (and that will never happen). But to replace one sport standard that I like with another that I will love at first...but then just like - I ain't spending the money on that.

With that said, if my FZ caught on fire and I had to replace it, the 890R would be on my short list.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have that same circular discussion which is why I haven't bought anything yet. Lately I'm just thinking the variety would be nice, and if I can keep from wrenching on them at the same time I would always have a bike that is together. Plus, for the first time in a long time I have nobody to tell me I can't buy whatever I want.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had this FZ for 12 years now...

I believe it's the longest time, (not highest mileage yet) I've ever owned one particular bike. I sold my other 3 (FJR, Goldwing and KLR-all bought new)after I bought this as a beater (2 years old and wrecked).

With that said, I'm still NOT bored with it, and like the pink bunny, "keeps going, and going and going"! Plenty of pep, not too much to loose you license over either (un-less your really trying), maintenance minimal(ya' all know that), etc..

I don't miss having numerous bikes and actually prefer the basic, no ABS, no excessive electronic gizmo's, etc the new bikes have...

* On an FJR forum, there was a post about a new BMW R1250 (I believe), opposed twin. I noticed the tach red lined(red back drop) at 5,500 which sounded kinda low. Apparently the red line CHANGES higher (digital) as the engine warms up...

I guess it's innovative, but really? You think that's still going to be working correctly after 12 years along with all the electronic crap? I dunno, I guess to each his own...

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a great video where two editors from Motorcyclist (I think) do a track comparison on a brand new Panigale V4s and 2005 GSX-R1000 with 55K miles on the clock. Both editors are expert level riders who raced at the professional level, and both turned faster laps on the Gixxer than the Panigale. Both bike wore race slicks, and they even took the Ducati back to a service center to make sure all the electronics were working properly and not inhibiting the bike's performance. It was still no contest, the K5 Gixxer was decisively faster around the track.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That would be Zach and Ari from Revzilla's "Common Tread" - probably the best motorcycle content creators out there. Certainly in the top 3. Independently Zach produces "Daily Rider" where he takes you on a 30-minute motorcycle review, and Ari produces "The Shop Manual" which is a how-to series. Together they make some very enjoyable, usually funny, content. They are life-long friends and it truly shows. Where most moto content seems forced with unnatural dialogue, their banter is no different than what you would have with your friends.

Here is the link to the review noted above . Subscribe, you won't regret it.

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just rewatched that video...it's so on point for this entire discussion. Maybe these electronic aides aren't so important. Maybe they have been added by the OEM's as a way to increase sales - tell everyone why they have to have them and customers will line up to buy the new bikes. But at the end of the day, the best technology is a well trained rider, exercising good judgement. Yes, electronics can save you...but if you are in a position where the technology has to save you - should you've been there to begin with.

Last edited:

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, those guys are my favorite moto journalists making youtube content.

200+hp bikes need electronics to keep dentists from killing themselves (no offense meant to dentists; I can't cope with that much power either).

I'm still intrigued though. I've haven't needed ABS, traction control, or ride modes *knocks on wooden table* but I'd never say never. Like a helmet, when you need it, you need it. The rest of the time it isn't necessary.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One of my customers had a Suzuki B-King (geared down/naked Hyabusa((SP?)) I did some work on and was asked to break it in. Dunno what the HP was back then but was substantial being geared down, WAS a BEAST...

Aftermarket pipes (got rid of those bug ugly things) among other things were installed/modded.

This was at least 10 years ago and none (little) of the fancy electronic stuff was around. That WAS the fastest, 0-whatever speed bike I ever rode (red light to red light). Would wheelie at 50MPH, two up, throttle only(did a small one passing a car)..

I could NOT hold first gear to red line as the G force literally pulled your hands off the bars/throttle..

No throttle control, no traction control, no auto anything but my goodness, it WAS fun to ride...

With that said, (he changed bikes often) when he decided to sell / trade it in I was offered first dibs.
I turned it down as I knew I would either loose my license or get get killed, no doubt.. Talk about an adrenaline rush...

I'd rather have ^^, than all the fancy safety crap/gizmo's myself.. My throttle hand has chilled out a bit over time but with the FZ, it's generally not an issue like that B-King..

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've owned many sport bikes including a 1989 GSX-R1100 and 2001 GSX-R1000. Both were just insane analog machines. They could easily exceed 150 mph with little effort. They accelerated so hard that it hurt. And after years of riding and loving liter class sport bikes, the GSX-R1000 taught me something - I don't need the fastest or the best bike. When I turned 40 I sold the R1000 and purchased a used 2001 SV650. I was never so happy on a street bike than on the SV. I could twist the throttle and not have to pray for my life. I could easily keep up with any sane rider, and gladly let the squids have their fun. And with this new found control of the machine I started to really refine my riding technique. Grabbing the throttle and the brakes was replaced with choosing the line with the best viability and learning that street riding isn't about racing from corner to corner. Safe and smart riding is a lot more fun, and a lot more sustainable.

So above I stated "Yes, electronics can save you...but if you are in a position where the technology has to save you - should you've been there to begin with". The argument to that would be "well, what if you come through a turn and find/see something unexpected?" to which I would say "if you can't see through the turn, you shouldn't be carrying speed that you can't recover from." Slow the eff down and look for the next curve that you can see through. Learn to late-apex your corners. Be smart...not a statistic.

ABS, IMU, Traction Control, Throttle Moods...mood rings...it's all there to replace a smooth and smart riding technique. I don't wanna pay for it. I don't wanna carry it (there is a weight penalty). I don't wanna maintain it. And I certainly don't wanna have to pay to have it repaired. Nope. I'll be quite happy buying the analog motorcycles that people just don't want anymore. There were a lot of great bikes made in that past that I'm looking to own for cheap.