The NEW Buell 1190RX

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Guess he will probably also think it's worth as much as a Harley too...

I looked up the 2012 1190rs and it goes for 40k.

Compare the specs to a 15k$ R1

With that being said it looks cool, but with that being said It's way too expensive, probably why they bit the dust to begin with.

Last edited:

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Guess he will probably also think it's worth as much as a Harley too...

I looked up the 2012 1190rs and it goes for 40k.

Compare the specs to a 15k$ R1

They are salty! Besides my big a$$ wouldn't last 20 minutes on that seat! LOL!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I gotta tell ya.. I love it!!

BlackSideWallpaper1024.jpg

And the numbers..
Peak Torque
101.6 ft-lbs. @ 8200 rpm (137.8 Nm @ 8200 rpm)
Peak Horsepower
185 hp @ 10,600 rpm

Yes please!! :thumbup:

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What's up with that v-twin? Harley still sourcing them or what?

I'm sure everyone knows Erik Buell and HD split paths a few years ago. And of course Erik Buell Racing is it's own company now.
The specs say "ET V2". I do not know who makes that. Maybe someone with more knowledge then I can speak to that. Buell's when under HD as you know, use to run a hopped up Sportster engine. Bad idea IMHO... Then at the end ran a Rotax in the 1125CR. But I'd have to say no HD isn't sourcing them. If I were Erik Buell, I wouldn't put anything HD on my bike. Well maybe a cool set of orange and black b!tch wips on the handle bars! LMAO!

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Not an HD but not sure about Rotax, it's a pretty good V Twin and they actually go pretty well. Talked to them last year during AMA and their bikes were very close to the production models. Interestingly they had to take the carbon fiber fairings off and put plastics on for the race bikes. Considering the budget difference between them and Yamaha, they go pretty good on the track. In stock trim it would be interesting to see how they compared to an R1, probably pretty close. The details on the bike are great. Stuff like the brake rotor, the air scoup for cooling the brake caliper, etc. Probably would not buy one but like to see that kind of thought and innovation. My understanding is the RX is a more street oriented version of the bike.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Harley never souced that motor, was Rotax, now made in house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose you could say it's Rotax designed motor, re-engineered by EBR?

A friend of mine has a dealership that added EBR last month. He's currently in Florida at the show.

EBR assembles the motors in house, however they've not said where the castings and final machining are taking place. Could be Austria, probably not Canada (Rotax is owned by Bombarier), or a very long shot is India. Hero Motors owns 49% of Buell. Hero is a very progressive Indian company and EBR is designing bikes for the Indian market.

Regardless, at $18K it appears to be a hellva deal. The torque "curve" is billiard table flat, and max torque is spread over a 7,000 rpm range!!! It has a bitchin' electronics package and a top speed of 185 or so.

I hope the 1125R bugs are worked completely out, and they become a popular bike.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought it would be like the older model in price range, good for them for seeing their previous **** was way over priced.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah the original EBR was pretty pricy, but it was CF, with all kinds of hand made/built goodies.

My 1125R was pretty inexpensive. IIRC, the thread is on the site here, I paid about $8,000. It was a great bike, when it wasn't broken. I only did two track days on it so I didn't get totally comfortable with it. However a couple more and we would have been one. Part of it was not wanting to bin a brand new bike.

I'd like to ride one of the new bikes and see what it's like. I like to keep an open mind...unless it's an HD. I hate all of them equally. Except for an XR750.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol weight savings really don't matter when my big ass is on it as well LOL I try to rely on skill to make up for the weight haha

Still could do more with a Yamaha :) and I like inline 4s better.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I hate TapaTalk 4!!! What a coocoo bananas app!

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose you could say it's Rotax designed motor, re-engineered by EBR?

A friend of mine has a dealership that added EBR last month. He's currently in Florida at the show.

EBR assembles the motors in house, however they've not said where the castings and final machining are taking place. Could be Austria, probably not Canada (Rotax is owned by Bombarier), or a very long shot is India. Hero Motors owns 49% of Buell. Hero is a very progressive Indian company and EBR is designing bikes for the Indian market.

Regardless, at $18K it appears to be a hellva deal. The torque "curve" is billiard table flat, and max torque is spread over a 7,000 rpm range!!! It has a bitchin' electronics package and a top speed of 185 or so.

I hope the 1125R bugs are worked completely out, and they become a popular bike.

So, is this based on the 1125 engine or totally different? I loved the 1125 and the way it reved so quickly for a big twin. The track day group that I am part of provided instructors for Buell Days a few years ago and we had several at our "disposal" to test ride.

After the way the motor company treated Erik, I wish him the utmost success. He has some very big plans over the next couple of years. Volume is expected to be well over the big European manufacturer by 2017 and yes, India is part of that plan.

The pic in the earlier post is pretty cool. I like the lines and you have to love EB's innovations!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the basis of the motor is the 1125R Helicon motor.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of pics to share from Mid-Ohio when we did the Buell Day. The red bike is my old SV (the 242 gives it away!) and the black is the 1125CR. And a good time was had by all :thumbup:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate EB for his modifications that sound like they make a lot of sense -- the in-frame gas tanks, the belt drive, the centered under-engine exhaust. I wonder though why these designs wouldn't be used by the Japanese manufacturers if they were measurably better.

IIRC he is credited with implementing a radiator that functions like a jet -- hot air is ejected from the back of it in an attempt to create thrust that reduces drag. One wonders how successful such an idea could possibly be.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But they are. The FZ9, the FZ6R, the CBR1000, and the Duc Panigale just to name a few.

EBR does not use a belt drive, chain drive. Belt drive was forced on them by HD.

And none of the performance bikes have a traditional gas tank any longer, it's a plastic cell under the seat.

Last edited: