Thinking About Getting A FZ6

Bwilson545

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

A little background on me as a rider. I have only been riding for about a year and spent most of that time riding a Vrod (I know a bit strange for a first bike and honestly a bit strange as a bike but that's another subject).

I inherited this bike so I am looking to buy a bike I can really be able call my own. After spending a season riding something that is not the best cornering machine (Not even close) I want something that can do just that.

For that reason I was looking into getting a R6 or CBR600RR but I have been thinking that I love long rides and those bikes are not the epitome of comfort.

After looking around I happened to stumble upon a 2008 FZ6 with 6000 miles that looks in great condition and honestly I have become a little fixated on it.

The bike has a few add-ons such as
Puig smoke double bubble racing screen
Two Brothers Carbon fiber exhaust
Rear fender eliminator (needed with exhaust)
Yamaha Gel comfort seat
FZ1 Handle Bars with 1.25" risers, 1" forward

The seller has all the stock parts so I am not to worried about not being happy with any of these add-ons.

Down to the questions
The seller is asking $5000 to much? I think it is a little much but he was willing to go down but will not include the exhaust which, I like anyway and would want to buy if he did not include.

After reading reviews and trolling this forum I have found the two biggest gripes about this bike are the lack of low end power and the soft suspension. Should these two reason scare me out of getting the bike?

I find that the biggest mistake a lot of people make when deciding what bike to get is getting something they are only happy with for one season. I really want something I can be happy with for a few years. Will I be? I would love to hear from someone who owns both a R6 (or something similar) and a FZ6.

It really just seems to be a compromise either way I go. I get a R6 and wish I am more comfortable or get a FZ6 and wish I had better performance.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long write-up. I appreciate and look forward to any input you all have.

Last edited:

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my stock 2008 FZ6 in December of 2013 for $3100 (It did have a Top Sellerie seat on it.) It had only 3600 miles on it.. There are deals out there on them. I was like you, had a bike and really liked everything about the FZ6, so I shopped and shopped for one, procrastinated and lost a couple of great deals but really got lucky on mine.. (plus the guy threw in a helmet, 3 jackets and a tank bag - sold them all on Craigslist for $400! :) )

I don't agree with the lack of power.. Its a great bike! I am 280# and it will about scare me at times. Keep in mind its not a GXR, but its very fun and easy bike to ride.

Here it is the day I got it home..

7EE3D798-1C65-48A1-BF2D-6B1EFA3953E2.jpg

BBE1A59A-E3A1-4266-A4B5-6DB64F65D8E0.jpg

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles have you put on the vrod? If it wasn't actually yours, I'm guessing probably not a whole lot. If less than 1000 miles I'd suggest something with a smaller engine. What do you want out of your next bike? You mentioned better cornering ability- is it primarily a weekend spirited ride and track day bike? Mostly commuting? Mostly longer trips? Be able to ride paved and dirt roads?

And yes, 5000 is too much. He could maybe get 3600-4000 for that bike next spring.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The price is a little high but it does have a bunch of add on's.

Blue book, at least down here doesn't mean squat. Its what the market gets and the condition of the bike. My bike has a bunch of accessories, 4x the mileage and I wouldn't sell it for less than at least $4,500. However the bike is cherry, taken care of, etc.

Re the suspension. I'm 200 lbs and don't have an issue with the stock suspension. Yes the engine does NOt have much low end power (especially compared to a larger displacment twin) but the power is above in the RPM range. After 8k, with those pipes, (W/O DB killers), it will scream and put a smile on your face. :thumbup:

I've been riding for 40 plus years (easily 200,000 street miles) and purchased mine needing work. It was going to be my beater. I've since sold my other bikes and have ONLY the FZ and am very happy with the overall performance and have NO intentions of selling it.

IMO, give the bike a good going over (or bring a mechanic) ride the bike, then start dealing if you like it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Now, if your looking for a LD, many day ride across the country, IMO, its too small and would look at something bigger (other have done it W/O issue). I personally wouldn't do a LD trip W/O a Wing or FJR inbetween my legs.

My 07 "beater";

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've owned FZ6 and now own FZ1 and R6.

I feel that R6 or any other super sport is the wrong tool for the job, if you like long riders. It also has a huge turning circle (in stock form) due to very limited steering lock.. so u-turns are tricky.

FZ6 can easily handle the tightest of u-turns and still devours twisties with ease.

Ideally, it would be great if you could test-ride one. Perhaps the seller would have an easier time allowing a test-ride if you showed up on your own bike.. showing the seller that you can in fact ride one :)

One item you didn't mention is the vibration: FZ6 is a buzzy beast. There are inexpensive ways to address this though (grip puppies and/or heavier bar ends)

Bwilson545

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the amble amount of responses. I'll try to get to everyone

I put about 4500 miles on the Vrod and found it to actually to be a decent bike to grow into. It definitely had a lot of power to start with and was heavy but I just always tried to keep good throttle control. By the end of the season (I just winterized it two weeks ago) I felt very comfortable on the bike.

while I have only been riding on the street to for a year I have always been riding dirt bikes so I would say I picked it up fairly quick.

Someone mentioned the bike being too small for long rides but I am actually a small dude so I don't think that would be a problem but weighing only 170 I would think I would need to adjust the suspension.

Also regarding getting the price I definitely feel like I should try for lower or look elsewhere.

Also I agree I feel like I need to just got on it and ride it to really know if I can commit to it so I am going to try for that this weekend

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I have owned my 2006 FZ6 since it was brand new in 2006! I since bought a touring bike but still kept the FZ6 because it's a blast to ride, is super reliable and inexpesive to insure! I'm paying $14/month FULL COVERAGE! An R6 would be at least 2.5 times higher to insure and I'm 35.

An R6 has the same lack of low end torque as the FZ6, in fact it might even be worse on the R6 because it is tuned for high-end power.

As a small guy the FZ6 will positively fly! I'm 145 lbs and my FZ6 is quicker 0-100 than most cruisers and probably as fast as older VRODS while blowing any of those bikes away once the road starts to wind. Blah

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The 600 is a nice machine and will do all that you want. Price is a bit steep but considering the extras not too bad.

How are you doing on street gear? Be sure to get a good jacket & pants that zip together along with full face helmet, gloves and boots. More important than what you ride.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First major mod was the front forks. They are soft and lead to pogo stick action in the corners. Least favorable is having to make mid corner corrections from the nose diving from a gentle surface irregularity.
- but, throw $300 at it and the problem is solved! Best money I ever spent.
- that said I love the bike and its a jack of all trades able to be tame or play with more expensive equipment and do so pretty well.

I have to disagree about them being a buzz bomb. That is IF the bike is properly maintained. No worse than any other I4.

IMO - its a great bike for the money. 4 years ago and bone stock I dropped $4,300 w/4,300 miles on the clock. If you like it as is, and they'll shed $500 or so from the asking price, well - if you're happy then do it.

Bargaining chip, open the filler on the tanks look for rust. 6000 miles on an 08 says its been sitting a bit. Rust in the tank once being ridden could mean some service time for you.

Bwilson545

Reaction score
Visit site
The 600 is a nice machine and will do all that you want. Price is a bit steep but considering the extras not too bad.

How are you doing on street gear? Be sure to get a good jacket & pants that zip together along with full face helmet, gloves and boots. More important than what you ride.

Already ahead of you there I had to have been one of the only Harley guys out there with full gear on from boot to helmet.

Didn't realize it was such a jump in insurance from an R6 to a FZ6 definitely worth keeping in mind. Thanks!

As long as everything going goes well this weekend when I ride it I think it is going to be hard to turn this bike down.

Thanks all again for all the comments, to me seeing a bike have such an avid fan base shows there is something special about it.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

Down to the questions
The seller is asking $5000 to much? I think it is a little much but he was willing to go down but will not include the exhaust which, I like anyway and would want to buy if he did not include.

After reading reviews and trolling this forum I have found the two biggest gripes about this bike are the lack of low end power and the soft suspension. Should these two reason scare me out of getting the bike?

I find that the biggest mistake a lot of people make when deciding what bike to get is getting something they are only happy with for one season. I really want something I can be happy with for a few years. Will I be? I would love to hear from someone who owns both a R6 (or something similar) and a FZ6.

It really just seems to be a compromise either way I go. I get a R6 and wish I am more comfortable or get a FZ6 and wish I had better performance.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long write-up. I appreciate and long-forward to any input you all have.

To me you sound kind of like and FZ6 kind of guy, looking for something sporty, but still able to log some major mileage, and dislikes the ergos of a full on sport bike.
I've had mine for 2 seasons now, and log between 10 and 12,000 miles per season. I love the bike. Each year I've taken some long hauls too. One trip was 4,000mi in 7 days from WI to CO and back. It got a little uncomfortable by the end of the 500mi freeway days, but hey, i think you'd be uncomfortable on any bike after that long (with exclusion of a Wing, those things are like barka loungers!!)

Any 600cc I-4 engine bike is going to feel like its powerless in the low end when comparing to a V-Rod, but let it sing and you'll feel the power up top.
I went to the drag strip with my friends, one on a pretty well tuned up 08 R6. He ran 11.30 in the quarter mile, I ran 11.94, so yea the R6 is a bit faster, but if 113mph in 1/4 as apposed to 124mph doesnt bother you too much. It wont matter.

We switch up and trade bikes every now and then, it could be the way my friend has his r6 suspension tuned, but I hated it running down the concrete freeway. Every crack, every bump, and every concrete heave was like a sledge hammer on my spine. I usually ride it for 30 minuted then give it back. Its a thrill to ride, but it gets sickening in a hurry.

I couldnt imagine running something like that for more than a 100 miles in a day.
But then again, I have another friend who rides Iron Butts on his 2005 r6... i guess it comes down to personal choice.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Didn't realize it was such a jump in insurance from an R6 to a FZ6 definitely worth keeping in mind. Thanks!

Huge difference on insurance between super sports and "standard" motorcycles which the FZ6 is classified as.

Do yourself a favor and get insurance quotes on any bike you are considering! When I was looking for my first bike I was also considering Honda CBR600RR and R6. In the end it was the much lower insurance cost and the comfort of the FZ6 that convinced me to NOT get a crotch rocket. The FZ6 is 90% of the performance of the R6 while being MUCH more versatile and suitable for touring. I've never met a newer rider disappointed in their FZ6.

I aggree the price is a bit high. I only paid $5,499 for my FZ6 BRAND NEW almost 9 years ago! Winter in New England is a time when bikes should sell for 15% less than they would in April as well. I would offer the seller $4,200 and walk away if he says no. My guess is if he says no he will change his mind in 24 hours because though these bikes are great, less people are looking for them specifically, most people want crotch rockets. You have all winter to shop!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To me you sound kind of like and FZ6 kind of guy, looking for something sporty, but still able to log some major mileage, and dislikes the ergos of a full on sport bike.
I've had mine for 2 seasons now, and log between 10 and 12,000 miles per season. I love the bike. Each year I've taken some long hauls too. One trip was 4,000mi in 7 days from WI to CO and back. It got a little uncomfortable by the end of the 500mi freeway days, but hey, i think you'd be uncomfortable on any bike after that long (with exclusion of a Wing, those things are like barka loungers!!)

Any 600cc I-4 engine bike is going to feel like its powerless in the low end when comparing to a V-Rod, but let it sing and you'll feel the power up top.
I went to the drag strip with my friends, one on a pretty well tuned up 08 R6. He ran 11.30 in the quarter mile, I ran 11.94, so yea the R6 is a bit faster, but if 113mph in 1/4 as apposed to 124mph doesnt bother you too much. It wont matter.

We switch up and trade bikes every now and then, it could be the way my friend has his r6 suspension tuned, but I hated it running down the concrete freeway. Every crack, every bump, and every concrete heave was like a sledge hammer on my spine. I usually ride it for 30 minuted then give it back. Its a thrill to ride, but it gets sickening in a hurry.

I couldnt imagine running something like that for more than a 100 miles in a day.
But then again, I have another friend who rides Iron Butts on his 2005 r6... i guess it comes down to personal choice.

Well said ^^....

And to your point, the borrowed machine may be over sprung or too aggressively dampened for street use and/or your weight.

One thing I have to advocate; If folks take the time and fix the suspension on the FZ, its night and day and makes it joy to run. That said, mine is a little harsh on rough roads and by the end of 300 miles you're needing a break. But I don't run those distances often so it does well in the mountains as is... --> info here: Final Impact, Condensed build thread, 08-FZ6

Along the way some of the basics were done.
  • Black Levers
  • Black FZ1 Bars and Spider Grips!
  • Installing Integrated Blinkers/Brake and running lights
  • Puig Wind Screen
  • Tail Tidy
  • Pod Lights - R1 sockets installed
  • Headlight - to Dual
  • Rear sets - Powder Coat black
  • Triple Triple for Powder coat balck
  • Polish those Headers!
  • R6 Fork, Best Investment EVER!
  • R1 Rear Shock w/Pics
  • Two Brothers Exhaust
  • Fix Throttle Chop (by F/I)

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i think its a great choice, op. i am so pleased with my 2007 bike. i feel $5000 is high but have not seen or rode the bike you are looking at. but knowing what i know today about the bike if its an "almost like new" condition example and with the extras, $4,250 is something i would consider paying. but i'd offer $4,000

price notwithstanding and your business, however, i paid $3,000 for mine bone stock with 6700 miles on it and put $550 into it for DMV, tires, and a small service, of sorts. so that is $3550 right there and i could not be happier! it feels and runs like a new bike 6000 miles later at 13700 miles with no issues but what i now believe to be vapor lock at certain temp, and a kickstand switch issue which i think was solved by a good "degriming." the bike has always started and ran flawlessly for the last 8 months. i run it everyday, too

i find it so comfortable on long rides, its near silly. never am i sore, never do i wish i had another bike. it is FAST on the highway up to around 125mph. it just flies and knows no end until the very top end. i have also found it does well in the rain as we have had some wet weather lately. this comes as a relief to me as i thought the somewhat snatchy throttle response would be a bit of a....problem. but seems i have grown into my bike well because i've had no trouble riding this bike gently at slow speeds. my tires are fairly ordinary and a bit worn but the bike has not slipped, tripped, or skidded in wet weather even when moving along pretty good. i can accelerate nicely still, and get down the road feeling secure. so if you ride wet, its good at that, too

how much do i like this bike? well i am a daily rider and if buying another bike to share daily duties and going used....guess what? i'd have TWO FZ6's in my parking space, side by side. its just fast, a bit furious, and sure....imo very comfortable for all day rides

Last edited:

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone mentioned the bike being too small for long rides but I am actually a small dude so I don't think that would be a problem but weighing only 170 I would think I would need to adjust the suspension.

I could be wrong but I believe Yamaha set the suspension up for a rider weighing in the 150-170 range without gear. So you should be fine in that regard. I weigh 150 without gear and the suspension is fine for me. I think the FZ6 is a great all around bike with plenty of power, just not the best track bike. As far as power down low, it can be sluggish but if you keep the RPM's up it wont be an issue.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something not really addressed and you having dirt bike experiance, the FZ definitly has a power or "rev range".

Unlike the smooth power delivery of the V-rod, the FZ is tame down low but will "get on the pipe" about 8,000 RPM's all the way up to red line (pretty similar to the old YZ 125, 250's, 2 strokes but with MORE RPM's and way more HP, torque).

Bone stock, it will lift the front wheel W/O trying in at least first gear, once "on the pipe". Second gear will get to 100 pretty quick as well...

As FI noted, with some fine tuning and checking, the "vibs" can be reduced to almost nill and very acceptable. (I almost sold mine until I got it sorted out).

Should you ride the bike, make sure you safely get it above 8,000 RPM's or you just won't do it justice...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something not really addressed and you having dirt bike experiance, the FZ definitly has a power or "rev range".

Unlike the smooth power delivery of the V-rod, the FZ is tame down low but will "get on the pipe" about 8,000 RPM's all the way up to red line (pretty similar to the old YZ2125, 250's, 2 strokes but with MORE RPM's and way more HP, torque).

Bone stock, it will lift the front wheel W/O trying in at least first gear, once "on the pipe". Second gear will get to 100 pretty quick as well...

As FI noted, with some fine tuning and checking, the "vibs" can be reduced to almost nill and very acceptable. (I almost sold mine until I got it sorted out).

Should you ride the bike, make sure you safely get it above 8,000 RPM's or you just won't do it justice...

Ahhhaa - - - the truth comes out! Are you perhaps, maybe, possibly admitting, you **may have** checked the plug caps and found some kinda voodoo action going on there causing vibes?? haha!

Now, back to that "pipe!" Your gonna need it 24 hrs! :D:D

Bwilson545

Reaction score
Visit site

Unlike the smooth power delivery of the V-rod, the FZ is tame down low but will "get on the pipe" about 8,000 RPM's all the way up to red line (pretty similar to the old YZ2125, 250's, 2 strokes but with MORE RPM's and way more HP, torque).

I see what you are saying and that is the jist of what I got from reading about the bike. It sounds like hitting the 8,000-redline range on the FZ6 is similar to hitting the powerband on a 2 stroke.

Also the vibration problem sounds a little disconcerting but as long as it is fixable I guess it is not a big deal.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I see what you are saying and that is the jist of what I got from reading about the bike. It sounds like hitting the 8,000-redline range on the FZ6 is similar to hitting the powerband on a 2 stroke. Its extremly similar but MUCH wider and intense.. The old 2 stroke YZ's I don't think went to 9k RPM's..

Also the vibration problem sounds a little disconcerting but as long as it is fixable I guess it is not a big deal.

A good throttle sync, keeping engine mounting bolts to spec, perhaps a seat or seat mod (Spencers), etc (potential spark plug caps coming loose from the wire, mine NEVER had that issue :D), it really isn't an issue.