Throttle question

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I've noticed that occasionally, when I'm upshifting or downshifting, the engine will wind up revving even though I'm trying to close the throttle to make the shift (like they've mentioned in the MSF course, I shift like I'm wringing a towel out...close the throttle, pull the clutch, shift, let out the clutch and get back on the throttle). I've tried exaggerating the movements a bit thinking it's how I shift, but I still notice this. It's not something that happens all the time, but enough that I'm bothered by it.

As far as my technique, is there anything that I should be paying more attention to as I'm shifting? Or could this be a mechanical problem? My throttle snaps back fine, so it's probably not that.

Thanks.

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I've noticed that occasionally, when I'm upshifting or downshifting, the engine will wind up revving even though I'm trying to close the throttle to make the shift (like they've mentioned in the MSF course, I shift like I'm wringing a towel out...close the throttle, pull the clutch, shift, let out the clutch and get back on the throttle). I've tried exaggerating the movements a bit thinking it's how I shift, but I still notice this. It's not something that happens all the time, but enough that I'm bothered by it.

As far as my technique, is there anything that I should be paying more attention to as I'm shifting? Or could this be a mechanical problem? My throttle snaps back fine, so it's probably not that.

Thanks.

Has your bike been checked out for the TPS recall? I think 2005 was affected. Search this forum for TPS Recall and it will help you figure it out.

Hope this helps.

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know off hand, but I have a servicing appointment on Tuesday and I'll definitely have them check that out. I had a feeling that if it was something wrong with the bike itself, it could be the TPS.

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
So this morning, I started the bike and without touching the throttle, the bike revved to ~8000 rpm. I killed the engine immediately and restarted...then it was fine.

Update: I just called Yamaha, and apparently my bike is not affected by the recall. Grr...

Update 2: Maybe this belongs in the Technical section...

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So this morning, I started the bike and without touching the throttle, the bike revved to ~8000 rpm. I killed the engine immediately and restarted...then it was fine.

Update: I just called Yamaha, and apparently my bike is not affected by the recall. Grr...
:eek: :eek: Sir, even if your bike was not part of the recall, I don't think I'd even ride it again until the dealer checks it out thoroughly! That sounds like a really unsafe condition!

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
yea that's weird...at first I'd say just work on timing your clutch lever with shifting, cuz sometimes you'll rev the engine while shifting just because it isn't timed right (I'm guilty), but then you mentioned the starting rev...weird...definately take to the dealer or shop.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site

Update 2: Maybe this belongs in the Technical section...

Your bike is likely affected by the recall - you should verify if the answer is:
1. that the recall was already performed on your VIN number before
2. if whoever you were talking to made an error and it is affected and not performed yet (go get it done if this is the case)
3. really not affected.

link to more info http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/181-throttle-position-sensor-issues-you-experiencing-poor-idle-mileage-stalls.html

That said the symptons are not exactly as described in the recall notice which references mostly lower than expected rpm as opposed to higher.

Last edited:

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike is likely affected by the recall - you should verify if the answer is:
1. that the recall was already performed on your VIN number before
2. if whoever you were talking to made an error and it is affected and not performed yet (go get it done if this is the case)
3. really not affected.

I called Yamaha, and they said that the bike was not affected after looking up the VIN number. The only thing the dealer had to say was that "you would have gotten a recall notice". I bought it as an overstock last year (it's an '05 model) from them. Turds.

I also checked the technical bulletin that's out (the one that Admin posted), and apparently my VIN number doesn't fall into the range of '05s that were affected. So it looks like if something is wrong with the TPS, I'd have to shell out for it myself. Which sucks.

One of my buddies who's good with cars said something similar happened to him on his car...he would be driving and all of a sudden the revs would just start going crazy. He looked around for the problem and apparently one of his vacuum hoses was interfering with the operation of his throttle body. So that's the next thing I'm going to check...pull out the airbox and look around to see if anything is in the way there.

Sir, even if your bike was not part of the recall, I don't think I'd even ride it again until the dealer checks it out thoroughly! That sounds like a really unsafe condition!

I have a service appointment on Tuesday (earliest available...at an indy shop, since apparently the service departments at the dealerships in the Boston area aren't so good), so looks like no riding for me until then. =(

Last edited:

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Man...if they don't help you.....that's just wrong:disapprove:

I would tell them that they just sold their first and last bike to you. You'll take your business elsewhere:Flip:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a service appointment on Tuesday (earliest available...at an indy shop, since apparently the service departments at the dealerships in the Boston area aren't so good), so looks like no riding for me until then. =(

Sounds like you did all checks then - too bad it's not that simple for you.

I agree about the Boston-area Yamaha dealerships (essentially all the same one FWIW since they're largely owned by the same people). I ended up trailering my bike to NH to get the TPS recall done after stupidly waiting until it failed to worry about it.:spank:
I guess I thought I get more warning but it stalled on the way home one day and was very unstable at idle after that. When I called ,described the stalling symptom and that there was the open recall on my bike for the TPS the service guy responded with "Sounds like bad gas. Why don't you bring it in and we'll do a diagnosis for you." Next available appt was 10 days out. Yeah right. Not sure I should have expected any different - same place wouldn't cut a key for me unless I brought them bike too - kind of a pain since I was there in Jan.

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
Regarding the dealership I bought my bike from, I bought the bike on Long Island when I was still living there, so I won't be dealing with them for a while anyway. Oh well. I found another dealership pretty much up the street from my parents' house that's also a Yamaha dealer, and they seem like pretty cool guys, so chances are I'll be dealing with them if I ever relocate back to the NY metro area.

I know this is getting OT, but I'm taking it out to Maynard (Bikeworx)...small operation from what I can tell, but the guys at the place I took my MSF recommended the guy there. I'll post a review, probably in the Northeast forums, when I get my bike back from them.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
Your throttle is sticking. The tps will not rev the engine. There is a mechanical connection. The butterflies need a physical force to open. Check your throttle cable first.

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
What about the throttle body?

Would it still be the cable if my throttle return speed is normal (meaning that when I crank the right grip back, it snaps back normally)?

Sorry if that sounds silly, this is my first bike...I don't know exactly what's "normal" and what isn't.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
The linkage could be sticking at the throttle bodies. If you are closing the throttle and it's still reving something is causing the throttle to stick or bind.

I'd check that first.

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
If the throttle cable is too tight it'll rev when you move the handlebars. Check and make sure that you have a little slack and that you can move the handlebars all the way from one side to the other without a change in rpms.