Throttle sticking

RAM2005

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought my 05 fz6 back in march when I got it the throttle was sticking. How do I make it smooth again?

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
You can check the throttle grip tube if anything is wrong
you can lube or change throttle cables also.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bought my 05 fz6 back in march when I got it the throttle was sticking. How do I make it smooth again?
The likely problem is gummed up throttle cables. To remove them you need to unscrew the two screws on the underside of the twist grip housing.
The screws are all different lengths so just remember which one goes where.
Once these are removed you need to unscrew a third screw which is on the inside of the housing to separate the two halves.
The cables need to be pulled out of the housing and will now be visible and easy to lube.
To remove the bar end you need a large allen key I think 10 0r 12 mm. It looks like there are two allen bolt holes with a smaller one right in the centre of the bar end. You need to use the larger outer one to unscrew the bar end.
Once the bar end is removed you can slide the throttle tube off. It will have some signs of water damage and wear. Clean it off and give it a light greasing.
Reverse the process to reinstall.

Good luck
Neil

tosh23

Reaction score
Visit site
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0OsC20Eqw4]A fast way to oil a cable - YouTube[/ame]

Easy peasy

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If there is no free play the throttle will stick. Its a double pull system, it Pulls to open and Pulls to close. If the two have no freeplay, it just stays where you put it.

Minor adjustments can be made at the throttle housing but this likely isn't what needs adjusted...
Down at the throttle shaft the return cable needs slack added. Determine which cable is which by just slightly rotating the grip. The first one to draw tight is the one doing the opening. Loosen the other one add free play and lock it down. Now adjust the primary so it has proper play during full turning L & R + fork compression. Getting this right now is important. Also confirm the adjuster at the grip is not out too far. If it is, thread it in some and make your adjustments below.

Now slowly adjust the return cable but NOT to a point of binding so you get the response desired and/or proper slack when OPENING the throttle. Think Trial and error.. .. ..