Throttle sticks in place

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
So, i just bought an 05 FZ6 and I've noticed that the throttle sticks and is more difficult to turn than i would expect. I searched the forums and consulted a service manual that I downloaded and I cant find what would cause this or how to possibly remove or replace the throttle cables. Any advice?

W

wrightme43

Well the throttle cable is a very simple deal to lube. Just take the black box that is next to the throttle grip apart and use one of the common throttle cable lubing tools with the cable lube. Its not hard man.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
Alos if the grips are not original someone could have gotten glue between the bars and throttle tube. It happens. Might be worht popping the throttle side offf to check while your lubing the cables.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure the throttle cables aren't binding up. Mine sticks when my bars are full lock to the right because the cables get bounded up.
Also check where they mount to the throttle bodies under the tank.
And of course lube them up.

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure the throttle cables aren't binding up. Mine sticks when my bars are full lock to the right because the cables get bounded up.
Also check where they mount to the throttle bodies under the tank.
And of course lube them up.

Yep make sure the springs on the throttle bodies are clean and lubed. There are two main springs- one on the left side (from riding position), and one in between the 2nd and 3rd throttle bodies.
My throttle didn't close properly, even after lubing and adjusting the cables, and lightly lubing the left throttle body spring. Then I realised there was another hidden in the middle which was binding. After a bit of lube it was fine!

BB

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of your suggestions! Will lubing the springs and cable require me to sync the throttle bodies? Unfortunently I dont have the 100 to go towards a TwinMax right now.

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of your suggestions! Will lubing the springs and cable require me to sync the throttle bodies? Unfortunently I dont have the 100 to go towards a TwinMax right now.

No, just adjusting or lubing the cables won't affect the throttle body sync.

bb

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
So I lubed up the throttle cables and the throttle still sticks. When I lubed the cable that operated the TB that you can see directly on the left of the bike (facing forward) that slide worked freely. I cant see the TB on the right so I couldnt move the slide with my fingers. Is there something that can cause the TB to stick like that?

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, neglect. I think you'll need to lift the tank and take off the airbox to get to all the TB linkages and lube them all.

Last edited:

ZZ Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same issues, and couldnt find any thing to help fix them. Finally had to take to the shop, and they (Of course) had some secret way of fixing the problem!

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
My previous bike had amateurishly-installed bar-end mirrors that sort of rubbed against the edge of the rubber throttle covering. Prevented it from snapping back as it should when released.

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Good idea. I think ill pull the barends off and take the throttle tube off and check it out. When I balance the TBs next month (when I can afford a TwinMax lol) Ill inspect everything. I might just follow the service manual for one of the service intervals and do a bunch of stuff. The only thing I cant do is a valve adjust.

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Update: I solved the issue by pulling the throttle tube off the bar and cleaning and relubing the bar with a very thin layer of silicone lube. The old lube was dark with dirt and tacky so I used some simplegreen to clean it right off and applied the new lube. Now it works beautifully!

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
After I swapped my bars I had throttle issues, It seems I didn't put the throttle tube assembly together correctly.

schleppy

Reaction score
Visit site
Try spraying a little wd40 between the bar and the throttle tube (NOT between the grip and the throttle tube). You'll have to take the bar end off and peel the grip up a bit, then use the little red hose that comes with WD40 and direct a couple shots onto both sides.

The throttle on my SV was sticking a bit, and WD40 took care of it. I think a little grip glue had worked its way between the throttle tube and bar.

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site

Does anyone else have this problem? I noticed it for the first time today. Is it a lubing issue, or something more about cable length/routing?

HappyTrails

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same prob with the throttle sticking. I pushed the whole throttle in closer (the whole unit) on the handlebars. I also made sure that my grips didn't go over the throttle and sit on the end of the handlebars, which made my grips "stick" to the handlebar.