Tire Choices:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I know that asking opinions on tires on here is like asking "which oil is best?", but ignoring all that - here's what's on my mind: This summer I plan to replace the aging Bridgestone Battlaxes (front is still original) on my Fazer. While the front one still looks brand new it is nearly five years old and has nearly 6000 miles on it. (No dry rot cracks visible anywhere)
The rear tire tread is getting thin in the center with only 2000 miles on it. (I had to replace it once at 4000 miles because a huge self-tapping screw decided to take root) I do not slide it and I check tire pressures before every ride so obviously the rear Bridgestone doesn't give me quite the wear I expect.
I am planning on going back new with both tires = Michelin Pilot Power 3's.
I have read/heard nothing but good about them. (I never ride in the rain)
NOW: I am also going to replace the tires on my son's Ninja 250, (which uses a 16" tire). HE rides much more reserved than I but he rides in the rain frequently. I'd rather wreck my bike fifty times than for him to ever crash once, (obviously), so....in that light: Michelin tells me that a Pilot Road 3 would be an excellent choice for his bike. Any feedback on tire choice is appreciated guys and gals. Thanks in advance.

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have PR 3's and I don't trust them as much as original Battleaxes,which I Got 15,000 miles out of before front went bald.:eek:They just don't feel very "sticky",I know they are a rain tire and don't have as much rubber on the road as a regular tire but thought they would be softer.Got 2 summers and a full winter on them,enough thread for another year.Ride in the rain quite often,farmers should pay me to ride around their farms!LOL!Rather sensitive to pressure.If I don't lower pressure after riding two up they will "step-out" on small bumps in curves.I probably need to back preload off also and maybe it wouldn't be so bad.Don't think I'll buy another pair.Good luck! :thumbup: Rich

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Just put PR3's on mine, and i have no idea what ^^^^ is talking about. Its only the second set of tires ive had on the FZ but ive ridden Bridgestones, Dunlops, Metzelers, and other Michelins, these are by far the best all around tire ive ever had. Wet grip is insane, dry grip is fine, and they are showing absolutely NO wear yet at 1000mi. (the little nipples are still there)

If you never ride in the rain, the Bridgestone BT023's are a good dry only tire

Besides the PR3, the Pirelli Angel GT is supposed to be good in the wet and get pretty substantial mileage.

Many like the Metzeler Z8's but after the last set of Metzelers (Z6) we had, im done with them.

Dunlop supposedly makes a good Race Slick but i think their street tires SUCK

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't say the BT023's are dry only, they are a touring tyre designed for wet and dry. I ride my bike in all seasons and haven't had any real grip issues (other than wet manhole covers, wet painted white lines, and piles of manure)

Tyre choice can come down to confidence, if you don't trust your tyre then you will never like it, I'd say the PR3 (and PR4), BT023 and other such sports touring tyres are good.

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
SweaterDude,I would have said the same thing when my tires were in their first season! Loved 'em.But after riding them all last winter I can't say it any more.Maybe the heat cycles @ 20deg.F had something to do with it,I don't know(lots of things IDK). Like I said,MY tires are sensitive to pressure and when leaned over don't instill much confidence.Don't like the feel of the back tire jumping-out when I'm leaned over going all "Ben Spies" on my 'em and hit a bump. JMHO. Ride on Brother.... Rich

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a set of Pirelli Angel GT's which will be going on my FZ6 next weekend.
A ton of guys on my local forum use them on their street bikes - these are guys with dedicated race/track bikes as well, so they know good-performing tires. And here's a thread with some pics of how they perform in the advanced group at a track day- http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...med-kick-stand-drags-before-center-stand.html

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't say the BT023's are dry only, they are a touring tyre designed for wet and dry. I ride my bike in all seasons and haven't had any real grip issues (other than wet manhole covers, wet painted white lines, and piles of manure)

Tyre choice can come down to confidence, if you don't trust your tyre then you will never like it, I'd say the PR3 (and PR4), BT023 and other such sports touring tyres are good.

most review's ive read on them say the wet grip is "OK" or "Average". unless a tire is rated good or better in the wet it isnt a wet tire. all tires are sufficient in the dry for the most part, but few stand out in the wet.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got Dunlop Road Smart sport touring tires on my baby.

I've done two sets and have gotten roughly 19k total on them with a bunch of tread still left on the 2nd set. Feel good and instill confidence on the street and the track. Rain riding isn't bad either.