To buy or not to buy fz6

crazyeyes

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking to purchase a 2006 fz6 with 12k miles, has fairing damage but I'm wanting to go naked anyways. Heres the problem though, the bike has a flat rear tire and the dude doesnt have the money for a new one. so a test drive isnt possible... what would you do?

crazyeyes

Reaction score
Visit site
could put it on the center stand and go through the gears but would that be enough to see any problems that it could have?

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's a real bargain maybe you could buy a bottle of tyre sealant and then pump the tyre up. Should give enough to test the engine and gears underload.
Though if he can't be arsed to get it roadworthy to sell I'd question if he looked after it at all.
It would have to be mega cheap for me to consider.

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Like nivag says. Tyre sealant could make it rideable for a short distance (and NO top speed runs). Might give you peace of mind.

The seller's maintenance record could cause you to question it's long-term reliability. But equally that could give you a strong bargaining point.

Be careful about pumping it up with tyre sealant though. If you end up not buying it, he might sell it to someone else without mentioning the tyre sealant! :(

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If its not cut, a cheap tire plug kit will also work for a test ride.

If you post some pictures AND more importantly an audio of the engine running here BEFORE the purchase, (chain, frame, etc), members here can give you a good idea of what your getting, potential issues, etc.

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It would have to be a heck of a deal for me to consider buying a bike without a test ride.

FWIW I bought my 2005 FZ6 with 10k miles on it for $2,250 in amazing condition with two new tires.

crazyeyes

Reaction score
Visit site
He has only had it for the last 500 miles on the bike so no maintenance has really been done besides an oil change. I will definitely post it running on here to get some input as i live 5 hours away. Tire sealant is a good idea as well. will try that for sure. I'm going to see if he can send me a video of it running

Edit* There is a nail in the back tire so idk if tire sealant would fix that

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site

This seems like the perfect use for a plug kit. The problem with sealant is the mess you are going to have when you go to replace the tire.

Any way you could get him to plug the tire himself? This way, if something happens while you are test-riding, he doesn't blame you and a bad patch job. I'd be hesitant to repair a bike myself before test-riding for this reason.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd have no qualms about plugging a rear tire that picked up a nail, I've done it before. I wouldn't use that sealant crap.

Most sellers won't allow test rides without cash-in-hand though. Only 2 of the 5 bikes I've owned I test-rode before buying, and that was because I was buying them from someone I knew. If you can't test ride it, (assuming you do plug the tire), ask him to take it for a ride around the block to at least show you it runs and drives.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This seems like the perfect use for a plug kit. The problem with sealant is the mess you are going to have when you go to replace the tire.

Any way you could get him to plug the tire himself? This way, if something happens while you are test-riding, he doesn't blame you and a bad patch job. I'd be hesitant to repair a bike myself before test-riding for this reason.

+1 On the mess tire sealant makes inside the tire and the wheel. But I would be more concerned what caused the fairing damage, most likely something other than an accidental drop. If there are no maintenance records available you may have to be prepared to perform several service items at that mileage interval. As mentioned previously, post audio & video of the bike and you will receive some input from some members. Good luck. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
He has only had it for the last 500 miles on the bike so no maintenance has really been done besides an oil change. I will definitely post it running on here to get some input as i live 5 hours away. Tire sealant is a good idea as well. will try that for sure. I'm going to see if he can send me a video of it running

just from this post it makes me a little more weary.. If he can't keep up with basic maintenance on his bike, and the fact that he only owned it for 500 miles throws up red cards for me. Im willing to spend a few hundred extra for something well taken care of.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Everything I've heard screams don't buy THAT fz6.

Why take unnecessary risks with your time and money when it's a common enough bike to find with low miles and a pair of serviceable tires?

Also consider the S2 version (07+) with its better display, brakes and windshield options.

crazyeyes

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah I guess I'll have to pass, hes acting really shady saying it wouldn't plug the tire and didn't even acknowledge the idea of putting it on the center stand and sending me a video of it running. One last question. stay away from salvage titles even if it was restored?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah I guess I'll have to pass, hes acting really shady saying it wouldn't plug the tire and didn't even acknowledge the idea of putting it on the center stand and sending me a video of it running. One last question. stay away from salvage titles even if it was restored?

A salvage title is a big no-no on motorcycles. If it has a salvage title it means the bike was damaged enough to be a total loss to insurance which means more than just fairing damage....could be a cracked frame or bend forks, etc. No matter how good of a deal a bike is if you have to spend $500-$1000 to fix things that are broken and $300 on new tires and then have a bike that might have a bent/cracked frame it's not that great of a deal afterall.

My only other option so far is this.
2008 Yamaha FZ6 black

2900 firm and has maintenance records not sure whats been done though. thanks for all the input so far :)

What is it with MN riders crashing so many bikes and selling them like they are mint? Maybe it's because you can only ride for like 6 months out of the year up there? So everyone gets out on the first warm day after not riding for half a year and crashes?

Personally I'd keep looking, you still have a month before riding season starts up there.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
2008 Yamaha FZ6 black

2900 firm and has maintenance records not sure whats been done though. thanks for all the input so far :)

That dent in the right side of the tank (about $600 for the tank alone) tells me its been down. The plastic fairing has probably been replaced as you can't dent that tank and not damage the plastic.

He's not giving anything away. I paid 2K (from a friend, his kids FIRST BIKE), 4,500 miles, laid down), for mine.

Pi'cs on my bike when I bought it, notice the tank has the same damage as well as the fairing:

I spent about $1,400 just in parts (my labor), tank, center main stay(usually bends), plastic, etc. Add in labor (un-less your fairly mechanically inclined and have basic tools)

My bike put back together:

Last edited:

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
2008 Yamaha FZ6 black

This one sounds a little better but still a bit overpriced, a new tank goes for a good amount of $ - at least it has been cared for and owner isn't thrilled it has to go (of course that's just type on a screen, but at least this one is ready to ride out no hassle).

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's 5 hours away and in good, ready to ride condition, and you can see proof of it running and going through the gears, I'd say <$2000 would be worth the drive to go get it.

If its 5 hours away, runs but definitely needs some maintenance like tires/chain/etc, <$1500 might be worth it.

If its 5 hours away, runs, needs maintenance, has a salvage/rebuilt title, and you want a track-specific bike with not much resale value, $1000 would be a decent price.

If you want a nice-ish street bike with little headaches for a decent deal, you'll be able to find something closer.