To buy or not to buy

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Craftsman 12 pc. Micrometer Set, Machinists, 0 to 6 in. Range

I walked into sears today and the set listed above reg price 699$ Usd is going for 275 and the manager tells me ill get you another 50% now that's a good price, I look at the merchandise first all new calipers in plastic with adjustment tool and anvils.

So my real question - 150 for 6 calipers all standard none are digital and all sae so in the future I may need a metric set and might get. A digital in the size I need but for now should I buy?

View attachment 48307

View attachment 48308

Thanks again

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it depends on what you work on the most. I work on my truck and the bike, my tools are a 50/50 split of metric and standard. It helped that my Grandfather was a machinest so I have all his micrometers and such.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking out loud here but a good digital will give

Me am easy read out and convert for me

So that 1 will out do all 6 of these I think ill buy the digital in the future.

And pass on these although they are an amazing set if digital never came around I'd pick them up

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
For what you get, it is a good deal, most sets don't come with standards. You can do an easy conversion by multiplying your reading by 25.4, everyone has a calculator in their tool boxes!

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd jump on it. Good calipers are not cheap and getting 6 of em' is pretty handy. No concern with them being SAE instead of metric. Do the conversion and save hundreds, maybe thousands on tools and be spend the savings on mods.

I did all of my valve lash measurements and then converted them. Easy 'nuff, cheap 'nuff, and now I'm better at math.