Rebuilt (Buy or Not) FZ6 Assistance

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been reading a ton of posts on this subject (buying rebuilt bikes) and it goes both ways so often. I have a bead on a bike that has been maintained by a mechanic that works for a salvage company. I would like to know based on the information below if this is a good deal. I want the bike so bad I can taste it, but need a few voices of reason to assist with making a decision to buy or go with a clean title bike:

2004 FZ6
16K Miles
04 R6 Forks and Brakes
Galfer front wave rotors
Hyperpro rear shock and assembly
Scorpion Slip On Mufflers
Full Givi luggage set

Guy bought it in 04 with 475 miles for 1800 and only had to repair fairings, turn signal, motor cap, and brake lever. Frame is said to be good with no issues.

I negotiated to 3300, but he will not go lower even though its a repair title.

This bike is in contrast to a 2005 FZ6 that is the same color, all stock, no accessories, clean title, 14K miles, and a few scratches on fairings (very light) for 2800.

I am off tomorrow and planning on picking up something - any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
R6 Forks and Brakes
Hyperpro rear shock and assembly
Scorpion Slip On Mufflers
Full Givi luggage set

I would prefer the one that has the extra mods for sure.
All these mods for an extra $500 look like a bargain.
Expecially R6 fork mod and givi luggage set are very nice.
I don't know much about Hyperpro rear shock, but i guess it would be much better than stock.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
My two cents.

Accessories do not add anything to the resale value of a bike unless the potential buyer really wants what you have on there. And a salvage title pretty much says that it is worth 50% of the going rate of a similar bike with a clear title. So 3300 for a 2004 is a joke.

I would say that the $1800 is about a fair price for that bike.

That said I have owned many salvage bikes but for the right price. As long as you never plan on making any money on it when you sell it they can be a good deal.

Marc

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Frame would be my only issue.

We've had a ZX6 in the past - looked great, until it went in for a service - found a cracked frame - ex race bike - no one told us about that :eek:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
My two cents.

Accessories do not add anything to the resale value of a bike unless the potential buyer really wants what you have on there. And a salvage title pretty much says that it is worth 50% of the going rate of a similar bike with a clear title. So 3300 for a 2004 is a joke.

That said I have owned many salvage bikes but for the right price. As long as you never plan on making any money on it when you sell it they can be a good deal.

Marc

Yep, make sense to me... too bad those are nice mods.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
OTOH, if you like those mods and would be buying them anyway, I'd say it's probably not a horrible deal. Figure $200+ for the R6 fork/brakes (and who wouldn't want that?), $500+ for the exhaust, and whatever the bags and shock are worth to you. If I had the money to float, and he made the deal worth it, I'd buy both, swap the parts onto the good one, and sell the rebuilt one stock.

I have an '04 with a rebuilt title, and I paid more than I would have liked to at $2200. But I drove 5 hours one way and spent the night in a hotel after being told the bike had a clean title. It was buy it for as little as possible, or be out gas money, hotel, meals, 2 days of my time, and still have to look for another bike. From the story I was told, it was totaled for cosmetic damage done before delivery, not a wreck, so the major impact to me is just resale/insurance value. I'm not sure I buy that story, but I see no evidence otherwise, and I don't plan to sell it anytime soon, so it's mostly extra money in my pocket for now.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
My two cents.

Marc

I completely agree, if you have a crappy ford fiesta worth $600 and you put $1000 rims on it.... it doesn't make it worth 1600...it's still a PoS worth 600...

I'd keep searching, i've been looking for a while now and though without funds at the time i've seen bikes with clean titles, similar mods (r6brakes and front + givi case), less miles (3000-4000 mi) go for less.... shame i didn't have cash at the time or i'd be posting pics :thumbup:

Don't rush into a bike, good things come to those that wait :thumbup:

I looked on CL for a while and there was one bike i would've been willing to pay full price for at the time had i had money.... it came and went and not 2 days later a different bike (07 as opposed to 05) in a better color less miles and givi cases came along for 500 bucks less than the one i had my heart set on before.

Whatever you do, when you do it, PICS :D

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of the responses. I have a couple of free one-way flights from Southwest - so I am flying out there today and looking at the bike and will be making an offer on it, which he may not care for, and we will see how it goes. Riding back on a bike or taking a ride on a jet plane. I would be spending the money on some of the mods at some point, especially the bags as I will be doing touring on this guy.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a lot of money for a 2004 fz6, even more for one with a salvage title. I would not trust a salvage bike at all.

I bought a 2008 fz6 with helmet, soft luggage and 1600 miles on it for $3800 last year and many others on here have had better/similar deals on non-salvage bikes. They are really easy to find.

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
So I ended up not buying it. I offered 2900 for it and it was a no go. The bike mechanically was solid, but cosmetically had some issues with the givi bags being left out in the weather and some marks on different areas. Thanks for all of the support and ride safe out there.

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
Um - ok - shameless advert there :BLAA:

I use an app for my Android phone CraigsNotifica which does custom searches for craigslist however often you want it to.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
whatever, i was trying to help keep you from blowing a bunch of money on a bad bike. go for it, overpay for a bad bike and enjoy ;)

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
No worries - Search Tempest is great on the PC. For those that didnt know about it I am sure it will help. Yes, overpaying for a bad bike would not be good. Paper has a 07 on the forum for sale that I am looking at. So maybe all is not lost :)