Too hot?

cdnSTIG

Reaction score
Visit site
when was the last time you changed your coolant. my temps dropped a fair bit when i put in fresh coolant.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Your electric fan should turn on at 212 degrees. Since your temp is reading 223, I would venture a guess that your fan is either faulty, or hung up with a small pebble.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If there is no coolant the fan wouldn't be cooling anything, or if there is coolant and the fan isn't running the coolant can't be cooled properly so it could be either or

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Although if he turned it off, it will climb to 10 to 15F pretty quickly as the same amount of BTU are still trying to be displaced but the cooling is now OFF.

But ya, fan shoulda came on and kept it near 205 - 215.

Jim V

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an old Honda Pacific coast that used to overheat. As it turns the previous owner added some running lights and apparently tied them into the same circuitry as the radiator fan. After numerous blown fuses figured outn the relationship..long story short you may want to check the fuse if the fan isn't coming on

jcombs

One day at a time...
Reaction score
www.jaredsbook.com
If there is no coolant the fan wouldn't be cooling anything, or if there is coolant and the fan isn't running the coolant can't be cooled properly so it could be either or

So should it ever, even transiently, get that high? I had just gotten on it kinda hard...practicing my wheelie...but that just seems high.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had mine this high before when stuck in traffic during upper 80 degree temperatures. I am assuming (hoping) this is at the upper level of the acceptable range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
So should it ever, even transiently, get that high? I had just gotten on it kinda hard...practicing my wheelie...but that just seems high.

It can get up there from time to time, while riding hard, not moving very fast (stuck in traffic) or some other reason but you don't want it to stay around those temps, if you said you fan was running then check your coolant, it could be low, or old. And how long did it stay at that temp or once you saw it you shut it down?

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Noticed it when I parked at the gym. So I let the fan run about 5 mins before shutting it off.
If it gets above 235 degrees in town something is wrong otherwise its normal range..... 212-230 to be expected in heavy traffic or under extreme load.....

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
The book says its fine. As long as it comes back down when you start moving again I wouldn't worry. A coolant flush couldn't hurt though.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hint: you have trouble when its pushing water out of the cap into the reservoir. That's when ya shut it down and park it.

Sitting in trafFuk will bump the the temps. Mines been to 220 parked in traffic on an 85F day.

PS - sharpie silver line on the fans rim so you can glance at it and tell its spinning.

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Noticed it when I parked at the gym. So I let the fan run about 5 mins before shutting it off.

Was the engine running or not when it displayed 223? When it is hot out and I am not moving very fast (like in traffic) the bike will get up to 212 very easy. However once the fan kicks on the temp drops almost immediately. However, if the temp is 200-212 when I shut the engine off, but leave the key on, the temperature will spike to sometimes 230 as the coolant sits in place on the temperature sensor and doesn't circulate. Within about 1-2 minutes the temp will drop down below 200 If the engine was not running but the key was on, I would think that 223 is perfectly normal... or at least I have the same temps in that situation.