Too Much Play in the Throttle

srghyc

Reaction score
Visit site
I took my bike out for a chilly ride this past weekend and I just wasn't happy with the amount of un-resisted rotation in there was in the throttle grip before it did anything. The problem is, I have the adjuster all the way OUT and I thought that would take out the slack. is there another adjustment I can make to take up the slack in the cable?

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I took my bike out for a chilly ride this past weekend and I just wasn't happy with the amount of un-resisted rotation in there was in the throttle grip before it did anything. The problem is, I have the adjuster all the way OUT and I thought that would take out the slack. is there another adjustment I can make to take up the slack in the cable?

There is another adjustment. Where the throttle cable attaches to the throttle body (right near the idle adjustment screw), there are two nuts on a threaded cable end that hold it in place. These can be loosened and adjusted. I suggest first moving the adjuster on the handlebar somewhere in the middle of its range so that you have adjustment both ways after changing the other end of the cable.

Dannyrose1

Reaction score
Visit site
Which adjuster are you talking about the little one on the throttle housing? Or the one down under the tank on the left side its just behind the frame you can adjust the play there :) hope this helps! Hopefully someone will pi
Ost a picture to point it out.

srghyc

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I was implying the adjuster on the throttle housing near the bars. I'll try moving that one in about halfway then mess with the lower adjustment...once I find it. Haha. Thanks for the tips.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a couple other things you can do.

Replacing the throttle cables may be due, depending on the year, and they could be stretched out a bit.

I also modded mine a bit to shorten the pull (placed a small piece of PVC pipe around the throttle tube, threaded the cable around it) after I saw it described by one of the aussies. Works great, and makes it easier to get the slop out.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll add that my throttle cable completely snapped and left me stranded at around 27K miles. I probably should have lubed it more often...

Also, it's easy to find the adjuster under the tank. Just twist the throttle and look underneath, you'll see it turning the throttle body.