Touring help

DrewT86

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

I bought my first FZ6 last month, LOVE the bike few things I'd like to make a little bit better. I really want this bike to be versatile because it is my primary mode of transportation, I have an hour drive to work each morning so I need comfort and mpg. I already ordered new handlebars, can't wait to get them and put them on, ordered a new front sprocket because the previous owner put a 15t front on it. I'm looking for advice for other mods and touring upgrades i can do, on a small budget maybe a few things to save up for.​

** I would really like advice on paniers, tail an tank bags. **

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check out the search function - we have a touring section too. Lots of people showing panniers and top boxes and their reviews.

Good luck :thumbup:

BTW, I have a Yamaha 46 ltr top box. Really good.

As for panneirs, I'd recommend hard luggage, not soft - only so you don't need rain covers and you also get added security.

Givi are expensive, but they are excellent quality. Look good too.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

I bought my first FZ6 last month, LOVE the bike few things I'd like to make a little bit better. I really want this bike to be versatile because it is my primary mode of transportation, I have an hour drive to work each morning so I need comfort and mpg. I already ordered new handlebars, can't wait to get them and put them on, ordered a new front sprocket because the previous owner put a 15t front on it. I'm looking for advice for other mods and touring upgrades i can do, on a small budget maybe a few things to save up for.​

** I would really like advice on paniers, tail an tank bags. **
Get an Afam 21602-17 sprocket so it has 17 teeth instead of the stock 16. Then you have lower revs at high speeds if you're on the motorway. It also makes it smoother at lower speeds. I did it recently. An amazing touring mod. Wish I'd done it years ago!

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Get an Afam 21602-17 sprocket so it has 17 teeth instead of the stock 16. Then you have lower revs at high speeds if you're on the motorway. It also makes it smoother at lower speeds. I did it recently. An amazing touring mod. Wish I'd done it years ago!

Did you have to change your chain for this or did your stock 530 chain work?

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the givi's. I did it myself, I want to say it cost about $700 for a full setup (E21's on the sides which are big enough for your laptop bag or a 12 pack of cans, and the biggest top case they make with integrated brake lights, fits 2 full face helmets). Normally I just run the E21's, but it's very nice to have the big bad top case when you want it. Keep your tire pressure up, get as nice a seat as your backside demands (I went Corbin, but it's really firm, wish it were softer), and really that's about it.

DrewT86

Reaction score
Visit site
I just last night put on a new 16t sprocket. who ever had the bike before me had dropped it down a tooth to a 15, it was really punchy and trigger happy, took it out last night after changing out my sprocket and I could feel how much smoother it was. Also noticed last night that my rear sprocket is slightly warped. so i think i'm gunna ride on the 16t for a bit then replace front/rear/chain as a set. is there any combination that is better than just a 17t front for touring that you know of?

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, i'm looking for the TS seat.

If you can afford to be patient (ie, "how bad does the stock seat hurt you?"), then they come up at decent discounts here and on the company website from time to time. That's the only secret to buying aftermarket seats... he who can bide his time and wait gets a deal. He who cannot pays way too much damned much for a new one. Like me.