Tranny question

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
No, not that kind of tranny, get your heads out of the gutters!

One thing I've noticed on my bike, is the shifting from 1st to 2nd, there's a definite clunk more so than the other gears. Is one of the nuances of this bike or do I have an issue I need to check into?

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Pretty much normal. I've noticed higher RPM (5000 or more) helps the 1-2 shift. Also keeping my elbows slightly bent for some reason help me. Not sure how long you've had your bike, but it's something you'll get used to. When I first bought mine I was thinking the same thing (clunky transmission) but after 2 years and 20,000 miles I shift buttery smooth now :thumbup:

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you tried different oils? This bike has less of a clunk than my previous bikes, now that you mention it..
I use Valvoline VV740, changing it every 2000 miles.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
try rubbing your stomach in a counterclockwise motion with your right hand while tapping your helmet with the left hand.....simultaneously of course....works for me

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm changing my oil today to Castrol full synthetic 10/40 so we'll see if that changes things.

Oh, pre op of course! :D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your clutch cable hasn't been serviced (lubed) in awhile, it could be sticking some making for harder / notchier shifts. Make sure its adjusted to spec's too.

Lubing it will also make the pull easier as well.

Good luck. :thumbup: