Trans slipping?

Skylardog123

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay so, idk if its just my driving or what, but when im in 3rd gear, and i go to switch to 4th, when i pull the clutch in and shift up real fast all while holding the throttle, when i shift to 4th, the rpms stay the same as if i was still in 3rd, then gradually go back down as if i upshifted as its supposed to, its not as smooth as shifting to other gears, any ideas

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Proper shifting technique requires you roll off the throttle while changing gears. Keeping the throttle open and pulling the clutch lets the engine overspeed. If you want to shift quickly, learn to shift without the clutch. you will find lots of videos on how to do it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay so, idk if its just my driving or what, but when im in 3rd gear, and i go to switch to 4th, when i pull the clutch in and shift up real fast all while holding the throttle, when i shift to 4th, the rpms stay the same as if i was still in 3rd, then gradually go back down as if i upshifted as its supposed to, its not as smooth as shifting to other gears, any ideas

As noted, that's not the best way to shift and is hard on the clutch. Definitely NOT recommended.

RPM's staying high after shifting, indicate the clutch IS SLIPPING. There's nothing wrong with your transmission.

Either worn clutch plates, mis-adjusted clutch, car oil, or the clutch cable frayed internally like so:

Start digging and STOP with the OPEN throttle.

Skylardog123

Reaction score
Visit site
I also forgot to mention my clutch is brand new, not the cable, but the ckitch plates have been in for only like 3 days, also when i try to dump the clutch to bring the front tire off the ground at high rpms, it doesnt act like im dumping it, it acts like its still letting out slowly even if i dump the clutch completely, like its slipping kinda, but its a new clutch

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I also forgot to mention my clutch is brand new, not the cable, but the ckitch plates have been in for only like 3 days, also when i try to dump the clutch to bring the front tire off the ground at high rpms, it doesnt act like im dumping it, it acts like its still letting out slowly even if i dump the clutch completely, like its slipping kinda, but its a new clutch

Did you soak the clutch disks before assembly? I wonder if the disks have gotten glazed. It may be a mechanical issue.

Skylardog123

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah i soaked them, maybe its just my bike, it just doesnt feel like it has the power to do a wheelie, i mean i have the power, but doesnt feel like it has enough torque, i try to power wheelie in 1st or 2nd and all it does is jerk me back, it wont get the wheel of the ground for anything, any ideas on that

Skylardog123

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats the thing, dumping the clutch would have been my first thought. but when i dump it, the bike doesnt just dump it, it lets it out with ease and slowly, no matter how hard i dump the clutch, almost as a safety feature lmao

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats the thing, dumping the clutch would have been my first thought. but when i dump it, the bike doesnt just dump it, it lets it out with ease and slowly, no matter how hard i dump the clutch, almost as a safety feature lmao

Maybe the cable is routed improperly and there's binding?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Couple of questions,

(1) What happened to the old clutch?

(2) Did you check the clutch cable for fraying as I asked earlier?

(3) AGAIN, what engine oil are you using?

(4) As we don't know the year of your bike, who did the clutch plate install, did they do "steels" too?

(5) Did they line up the marks, (per page 5-52, S2 manual) on the pressure plate and clutch boss?
(See below)

(6) Is the clutch adjusted properly with SLACK at the engine end of the cable? (fully engaged?)

Admin, pic is to expire in 7 days:

Last edited:

Skylardog123

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe, ill check this weekend, any chance it could be frayed somewhere but still works just not enough to make a huge difference? Bc ive noticed my clutch doesnt grab untill the VERY VERY end of the lever depress

Skylardog123

Reaction score
Visit site
Couple of questions,

(1) What happened to the old clutch?

(2) Did you check the clutch cable for fraying as I asked earlier?

(3) AGAIN, what engine oil are you using?

(4) As we don't know the year of your bike, who did the clutch plate install, did they do "steels" too?

(5) Did they line up the marks, (per page 5-52, S2 manual) on the pressure plate and clutch boss?
(See below)

(6) Is the clutch adjusted properly with SLACK at the engine end of the cable? (fully engaged?)

Admin, pic is to expire in 7 days:

1. It was jerking when i held it in so i replaced the plates, the 1st and back plate were worn pretty good,

2. Not yet, would it even be visible since its insulated by the black cable

3.whatever my dad bought for it, he said he bought the oil that the bike uses,

4.its an 04, and i did the clutch, i marked it up and made sure it was in correctly, i put a steel plate, then clutch plate, repeated that process till finished

6. not exactly sure how to adjust them properly

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I posted the above picture to see their INSTALLED CORRECTLY.

The marks are there for a reason. Confirm the marks are ALIGNED.. ***Ignore the question / don't re-check the marks-then chase your tail***..

If your not going to check the clutch cable, again, chase your tail..

Pic's of my clutch cable, about 24,000 miles, ALWAYS cleaned and lubed:
(Found it just doing maintenance).

I don't know what oil he put in, there IS MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC oil that needs to be in the engine, not just 10W30, etc.
Automotive oil additives CAN make the clutch slip. The oil also impregnates the fiber clutch plates.