Transmission Slack

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I have a problem but I am curious anyway. You know how all of the sudden you notice something and then you might dwell on it until you think you have a problem? Well on my way home from work I was in heavy traffic on the freeway and I was goofing off giving her throttle then letting off doing it again and so on. Well it seemed as though there was quite a bit of slack when going from accelerating to engine braking and from engine braking back to accelerating. I though well maybe it's time to adjust the chain. When I got home I put it on the centerstand and found that the chain is good, dry but good none the less. After I lube the chain, with the bike still on it's centerstand, I put it in first gear and rotated the rear tire. I seems to move about 20 degrees in both directions within this (what I am calling) transmission slack. I'm thinking this is probably normal and I'm just being paranoid, but FZ Forum Assurance would make me feel a lot better.

Thanks

Brandon.

And if someone could give me a technical word for the slack that is the subject of this post it would be much appreciated.

Perhaps it's just throttle response. Really it's hard to see what you mean, but I'm expect SOME delay in the drivetrain.

its normal. what it is is the sprocket taking up the slack in the chain and the movement from the drive side to the coast side of the tooth. when you are abruptly getting on and off the throttle its allowing the movement to be magnified instead of what should be a nice constant pull. with the wheel in the air and you spinning it you'll notice once tight there is no movement or slop from within the transmission itself.

Last edited:
Yep, you've completely busted it. Time to sell it to me for $100. I'll fix it and take care of it.

Just kidding. It's fine.

its normal. you're just being paranoid. what it is is the sprocket taking up the slack in the chain. once tight you'll notice there is no movement or slop from within the transmission itself.

Yea there is, it's called gear lash. If there was NO lash in the transmission, it would bind and stop working.

It's referred to as backlash in some areas, slack in others, slop as well, take your pick. It is the grand total of all the different clearances in the drive train, starting at the crankshaft primary gear, thru each matching gear sets that are currently engaged (1st gear or 2nd gear, etc.) to the final drive chain and finally the cush drive in the rear wheel. A few tenths of an inch here and there, multiplied by diametral sizes and pretty soon you have a bit of freeplay to account for.

All vehicles have this, it's just more pronounced in manual transmission systems.

Yep, you've completely busted it. Time to sell it to me for $100. I'll fix it and take care of it.

Just kidding. It's fine.

Yea there is, it's called gear lash. If there was NO lash in the transmission, it would bind and stop working.

yes but the wheel movement i'm sure he is talking about is the pulling of the wheel and the chain on the drive side of the tooth and then reversing direction and pulling the chain tight on the coast side. it would be near impossible to try to measure the total backlash of the transmission from the rear wheel.

yes but the wheel movement i'm sure he is talking about is the pulling of the wheel and the chain on the drive side of the tooth and then reversing direction and pulling the chain tight on the coast side. it would be near impossible to try to measure the total backlash of the transmission from the rear wheel.

I agree, but the sprocket will move slightly while he does this.

I have exactly the same issue. I've concluded there's nothing wrong but it doesn't stop me checking the chain slack every time I park up in the garage. The snatchy throttle doesn't help. Some days it seems worse but that's actually down to me not being in the zone and not being smooth with all my inputs.

Just feather the clutch (give it a tiny tug, not a complete disengagement) as you go from on > off or off > on, that will make it all feel much smoother and you won't be giving your chain and transmission a sudden hammering, which I'm sure will increase wear.

Plus one on what people have said but would add that the main component of drivetrain lash is the space between the engagement dogs on the gears. You need this for reliable gear engagement... Next biggest culprit is chain slack.

Back