Trip odometer and clock resetting

alindquist

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought an '08 last summer that one of the previous owners had done a naked conversion on. Some of the work seemed kind of shoddy, but I wasn't going to complain for the price. Anyways, my dash resets every time I turn the bike off. Odometer is fine, but the trip and clock reset which is annoying. My assumption is that it's losing power when I turn the bike off but I had a hard time figuring the wiring harness out. Anyone know where to look? It's the slimmer dash, not the round one.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a wire that feeds the instrument cluster. The wire color is red with a green tracer. Sometimes the colors are hard to identify but between process of elimination it makes it easier to ID the wire in question. The wire should have positive12 vdc on it at all times. This is called the back up circuit. The fuse may have been blown on this circuit when a hacker worked on the bike or there is a continuing/intermittent short in the circuit related to that wire/circuit. First I would go the your fuse block and see if there is a blown fuse.

alindquist

Reaction score
Visit site
It was the fuse! Thank you so much, that's been annoying me since I bought the bike. Hopefully it doesn't blow again after some riding around, save me from having to dissect the wiring harness. I'm embarassed, after years of doing general maintenance on my cars I hadn't even considered the fact that bikes would have a fuse box too.