trying some LED replacement bulbs out

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Background - got my '05 fz6 back in early Oct (after not being on a bike for... well, a very long time). It didn't need much work, but I've slowly been changing a few things, nothing major - seat re-forming, new windshield, used hard-cases, fix heated-throttle-grips. Headlights were next on the list.

Wasn't happy with the amount of light from the existing bulbs. Looked into better (PIAA etc) bulbs, but it just seemed like brighter --> shorter lifespan. Toyed with the idea of the HID conversion, but I'm not ready to take that on, and that seems to be a more drastic change. Thought about LED, but don't care for the 6000k color temp of 'blue' light. Nevertheless, it seemed like LEDs would be not horribly more expensive than better bulbs, an easier mod, the expected life is much greater, brighter, and they require less current/draw, which gives me more capacity for other 'gear' (whatever that end up being). So after kicking it around a bit, I ordered an h4 and h7 from cyclopsadventuresports. Arrived last week. I have 1 installed... the h7/low-beam. Can't do the h4 right now, I need a different plug-size from what they sent.

Installation on the h7 was a little tricky, but do-able - it's not an exact-fit replacement, but pretty close. I had to 1) enlarge the rubber-boot circle in the middle, to make room for the LED fan housing/shroud (yes it has a cooling fan), and 2) pull the wire headlight-bulb-holder out and re-shape it a little, to account for the larger shroud/circumference, and to push the bulb a little further forward. Not awful in terms of modifications, but more than a 3 minute swap.

I did a short test-ride last night (yes, with mixed bulbs), just around town - including a small highway stint, as well as an isolated road with no street lights. It indeed appears to provide more illumination (tho' the light color-change can also affect that perception I think). I did not adjust the light at all - was suggested I might have to - but no one flashed their high beams at me. Pulling up to a car at a stoplight, the LED topline 'cut-off' seemed to be at or just below their top car trunk-line, so I dont' think I was blinding them in their rearview mirror either. If the opportunity presented, I was going to pull up beside a car I'd been following and ask them, but the situation never presented itself.

Again, not usually a fan of the extreme-blue light color, but this doesn't seem to offend me - I think the stated color is 5700k/5500k (for the two bulbs). The stated power draw is 30 watts (h7) and 20/40 watts (h4 low/high). They offer an h4 LED for 4000k, but as you can't match that with the h7, I didn't want to have that mismatch. We'll see after I get a replacement plug and do the other, but - so far I think I'm happy with the change. Time will tell.

(unable to attach pic - says no permissions - so let's see if this URL works).

https://goo.gl/photos/DyGP7vjnpmbipwbF8

IMG_20160206_135502694.jpg

Last edited:

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting and informative, thanks. I've been thinking of up-grading my bulbs. And with less draw I've no qualms about doing the popular mod and run both beams/bulbs. Let us know how the other bulb works out and any particular problems with install.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The H4 (hi/lo) bulb went in with ease... no need to tweak the wire-bulb-holder or anything, fit perfectly - maybe 2 minutes required.

You still have to widen the rubber boot opening, same as the H7, but no other changes required. Did _not_ need a new plug-size for the H7. It was pointed out to me that there was an adapter on the (factory) H7 bulb, I simply had to remove it and put it on the LED plug. So I'm all set with LED bulbs on both sides.

Didn't take it for a ride yet, but fired it up in a darkened garage... impressive, easily more light than what was previously available. I'll try posting a picture later - want to check bulb alignment against the garage, see if I need to tweak any of the directionals, but overall - and I say this before actually going on a longer night-ride - I'm happy with the results. It felt easier to do than going the HID route, and I should have a little extra electrical capacity if I want to get any heated articles of clothing.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wrapping this up - I wish I had planned out the before and after pictures better. I didn't, and it's obvious... sorry about that (but there is a reason I'm a 'junior member'). Regardless, here are some poorly-matched before and after pictures. It's snowing right now, and temps are predicted to drop, so don't know when I'll get out again, so posting what I have.

Before (stock h7 and h4 bulbs):

DSC01521.jpg

After (LED h7 and h4):

DSC01525.jpg

Fidelio

Reaction score
Visit site
3000 lumens for the H7, and the H4 has 3800

4500 lumens will be too much? what do you think?

20160210-154013Fotos1455140439.png