Two really close calls in only two days!

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
If I would put my self on a scale ranging from defensive to aggressive, I would probably end up on the aggressive side of that scale. Even so, I never push it 100%. I'd say somewhere between 70-80% as to grant enough safety room in case something happens.

Anyway: Yesterday, I'd say I broke my own rule. I accelerarated too hard out from an intersection going into a tunnel downtown. The tunnel starts with a left turn, and there's two lanes. I drive here every day, so I know where and when the traffic usually starts getting jammed. This was no ordinary day, it seemed. The traffic was at a stand-still half way through that turn, with me in the left lane. I'd say I had roughly 50 meters to react and act. I guess my speed was somewhere between 70 and 80 km/h. Might have been even higher, I don't know. Result: Blocked BOTH wheels for a split second, but kept balance while turning(!). I thought to my self: "This is it. I'm gonna die in the rear fender of that car". Thanks to my extensive and very good training I got at the driving school last year, I still managed to come to a halt, maybe 30 cm from that fender. Pheeew....

Today was a totally different matter. Visited a friend this afternoon, and when I was heading home, I nearly pissed my pants. Came from an intersection where I have to yield for passing traffic. No cars were to be seen, so I turned right, out on the main road. Didn't see that sand... Rear end was skidding out during acceleration. I planted my right foot down on the ground, actually so hard I could hear the "smack" in the asphalt. That saved my butt. And this could have hurt big time, as I didn't wear my riding pants as this friend of mine lives just five minutes away... Stupid, stupid, stupid...

These two incidents have really given me two serious wake-up calls!:eek:

Last edited:

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, always be careful when you can't see too far ahead.. Some tunnels can be scary that way. Which one was it btw? Good to hear that you didn't get hurt!;) Ride safe and enjoy the warmer weather!:)

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Coming from Pilestredet into Vaterland-tunellen (Ibsen-huset)... Won't do that again...

Today is going to be a great day! Not a cloud in sight at the moment:)

Last edited:
B

bluenova

Doesn't really apply to the second incident, but to the first...

In my first lesson when learning to drive a car my driving instructor (a woman) said to me "rule number 1: drive fast when you can see, drive slow when you can't".

Safe to say it's stuck in my head ever since.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah.. I go to HiO so I'm not too far away. We're having a party at school (for the Norwegians on here: kro altså:p) so i won't be able to enjoy the nice riding weather today..:( I don't want to hear any rumors of some guy crashing on a motorcycle down the street, so stay safe:Flash:

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah.. I go to HiO so I'm not too far away. We're having a party at school (for the Norwegians on here: kro altså:p) so i won't be able to enjoy the nice riding weather today..:( I don't want to hear any rumors of some guy crashing on a motorcycle down the street, so stay safe:Flash:

Hehehe... At Fyrhuset?

I work in Pilestredet, actually two entrances down below that place. I won't say in plain words where I work due to security (government), but I guess you know. It's on the same premises as HiO:) If you ever want to take a look at my bike, it's parked in the cellar of this building (Europark?), next to the machine where you pay for your parking.