Two weeks and almost 500 miles later...

Ron P

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry to say that I'm not in love with my FZ6. The price, gas mileage and initial purchase price were good, but there are a few things souring me on the bike. First is the heat. Maybe this is a "duh" moment, but I can live with some heat if it's coming from one area. But to have it soming off the engine onto my feet and legs and then through the saddle is a bit much. Doesn't make sitting at red lights a lot of fun (and there are a few on my commute).

Next, I'm having problems with the "boys" going numb. Didn't think that would happen with a more upright riding position and I'm thinking it's more attributable to the saddle beads I put on to keep the heat off my backside.

And finally, I'm having back discomfort. I've played with the shock and can't find a setting that makes me comfortable. Seems like a lot of road shock is going up my spine.

I'll admit that I'm a bit spoiled by my K1300S. It's not realistic to expect an FZ6 to be as good as a K bike since there's something like 10k in price diffference, but I was hoping that the differences would be so small that I wouldn't miss the K. I mainly commute and so one would think the FZ6 would be the perfect situation given that the K is more of a longer distance highway bike. But I also ride about 15k a year and I guess I "bonded" more with the K than I thought.

I'm having the 600 mile service done this weekend and then I'm going to put it up for sale. I can't afford to keep both. It was worth a shot and I wish there was a way to make it work, but I can't.

Bummer. Sad to hear that. But this yet again proves that some bikes just don't fit some people.

Hope you won't be leaving this site even if you don't own a fizzer. It's always nice to hear different inputs from different people.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good bike at its price point. But I've ben spoiled by my BMW and since I do a fair amount of riding, I may as well be happy. It's not like I'm hard up for cash; I can afford to keep the Beemer, but I was hoping to make my addiction easier on the family budget.

Sorry you're not happy with the bike.

I don't have any of the problems you do (especially with "the boys" :eek:).

Good luck with your next bike

Sorry to hear that the FZ isn't working out for you.
FWIW - I think your "numbing issue" is due to the beads... I have had a numb bum, numb hands, and numb thumb but never had numb "boys".
Just curious - how tall are you? Maybe you are perched closer to the tank than I am?

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. While the beads may be a contributing factor, I find the saddle to uncomfortably hot without the beads.

The one thing I was not prepared for on this bike was the radiator heat. My feet and legs get rather toasty. It's not as bad as a BMW R1200R, but a lot more than my K bike.

Aftermarket seat like TS may solve your seat problem.

Unfortunately not much we can do about the heat from the engine.

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. While the beads may be a contributing factor, I find the saddle to uncomfortably hot without the beads.

The one thing I was not prepared for on this bike was the radiator heat. My feet and legs get rather toasty. It's not as bad as a BMW R1200R, but a lot more than my K bike.

You are the same height as me....
The only place I have noticed uncomfortable heat is on my right leg. But, my previous bikes were air-cooled and threw out a LOT of heat so the FZ is an improvement for me. Like Aaronshum said - nothing you can do about the heat coming off the engine.

Back discomfort is your riding stance and/or weak back.

I think this is the shock. It feels off in the damping. I've ridden some good distances to include a Saddle Sore 1000 on my BMW without any back issues.

Again, let me emphasize that while comparing a $6+ k bike to a $16k bike doesn't seem fair, there were reasons for buying the Yamaha. My future commute would have been off the interstate and more suited to the Fizzer's abilities. It gets better gass mileage, is cheaper to insure and WAY cheaper to maintain than my BMW. But as my wife said, if you can't bond with the bike, there's no sense in keeping it. She's been down that road and understands. Yeah, the Yamaha would have been easier on the family budget, but I'm in a position where I can afford the BMW and so why not ride what makes me happy?

And if anyone knows anyone looking for a low-mileage FZ6, mine's available. I live about 20 miles west of DC and will pay for the 600 mile service.

I would love to try a K bike but I may never go back to the FZ6 and that would damage my finances!!!

I'm just curious, what kind of clothes/gear are you wearing when you ride the FZ6? I have never noticed the heat issue you describe and my boys are only uncomfortable if I am wearing jeans on the way to work, on the rare occasion I ride to work.

I have the back issue to a certain extent, but I attribute that most to poor posture. When I focus on using my core to support myself, the issue goes away.

thanks for posting...I love my FZ6 but look forward to upgrading some day as well.

I've done a few rides wearing Fieldsheer kevlar-reinforced jeans, but most of it's been while wearing Olympia Airglide jacket and pants.

Are these pants mesh? I bet mesh pants let in more heat than my leathers do. Jeans definitely do. Another factor might be that I have rear sets on my bike, moving my lower legs back away from the engine/rad.

mensairglidepant_slv.jpg

It does not get humid here either.

To be more specific, I think I'm dealing more with exhaust heat coming up through the saddle as my main issue. Does anyone else have that issue and if so, how did you solve it?

I notice that my seat does get warm, yes..not un-bearable by any means for me though. As for the heat coming from the sides if that is an issue, that can be put towards the fact that the bike is naked. On clothed bikes the plastics keep the heat in or at least keep it away from your legs......

Just my $.02!!

As far as comfort, my back gets sore too but as someone else says, I have terrible posture as well.....Now that I have drag bars it helps some and the only numbness I get is in my right hand....Still working on that one...lol....

Good luck!

I definitely can relate to the heat put off on the right leg. Any ideas to fix/deflect this and still adequately cool the bike, I'd be interested in.

As far as the numbing goes a Top Saddlery (TS) or Corbin could probably help. I've got my TS on order. This probably won't help with the seat being hot. Maybe some kind of heat wrap/liner could be put under the seat to reflect radiant heat. Just ideas.

To be more specific, I think I'm dealing more with exhaust heat coming up through the saddle as my main issue. Does anyone else have that issue and if so, how did you solve it?

i have only had that issue on the hottest of days. days that i really shouldn't be riding anyway. like in the 95+ degree days. other than that, i don't notice the issue. could be that i actually do most of my riding from fall to spring that makes me not notice, but out of my 7-8000 miles it's been a problem 2-3 days.

Some heat does get through the stock seat on very warm days, especially sitting in traffic. I found it no worse than having the seat in the sun for a few hours, warm but not terribly so. My Corbin seat completely eliminated that problem, but it get very, very hot sitting in the sun, so I usually try and cover it.

As for engine heat, I never really notice any. Some of my other bikes I have had would cook you alive, the FZ6 is fairly cool running. The only time I notice heat is when the cooling fan comes on while stationary.

The hottest bike I have ever ridden is an 04 FJR, my legs were so hot I thought my pants were melting. And this was on a 85F day.

I'm sorry to say that I'm not in love with my FZ6. The price, gas mileage and initial purchase price were good, but there are a few things souring me on the bike. First is the heat. Maybe this is a "duh" moment, but I can live with some heat if it's coming from one area. But to have it soming off the engine onto my feet and legs and then through the saddle is a bit much. Doesn't make sitting at red lights a lot of fun (and there are a few on my commute).

Next, I'm having problems with the "boys" going numb. Didn't think that would happen with a more upright riding position and I'm thinking it's more attributable to the saddle beads I put on to keep the heat off my backside.

And finally, I'm having back discomfort. I've played with the shock and can't find a setting that makes me comfortable. Seems like a lot of road shock is going up my spine.

I'll admit that I'm a bit spoiled by my K1300S. It's not realistic to expect an FZ6 to be as good as a K bike since there's something like 10k in price diffference, but I was hoping that the differences would be so small that I wouldn't miss the K. I mainly commute and so one would think the FZ6 would be the perfect situation given that the K is more of a longer distance highway bike. But I also ride about 15k a year and I guess I "bonded" more with the K than I thought.

I'm having the 600 mile service done this weekend and then I'm going to put it up for sale. I can't afford to keep both. It was worth a shot and I wish there was a way to make it work, but I can't.

AH .. Whats this? All im hearing is whinging. :(

lol

Nah but seriously dont mean any disrespect man, maybe the K was better suited to you. But to be fair you do make a good point - they really cant be compared. They are in quite different classes.

Back