Ultimate FZ6 Bi-Xenon HID projector retrofit (Infinity FX35)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I did this retrofit a couple years ago and decided to post it here for the good of this community as well. This is a very worth while modification! Even if you don't ride at night the flicker of HID projectors makes you more visible in daylight!

2006 Yamaha FZ6S
Projectors: Infinity FX35 Bi-xenon with RS 100% optically clear lenses
Ballasts: Denso 35Watt (OEM Lexus/Toyota)
Bulbs: Philips 85122+
Mounting plates: 1/8" sheet aluminum
Mounting bolts: #8/32, 2" stainless steel
Washers: #8/32 stainless with lock washers and flat washers

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Cut a template out of cardboard cereal box first, then traced it to the aluminum sheet:
Img_0023.jpg

Made a second for the right headlight:
Img_0021.jpg

Cutting!
Img_0024.jpg

Img_0025.jpg

Img_0026.jpg

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Test fitting the mounting plate (note that the extra bolt I show on the bottom left coming through the plate will be a fixed pivot point for extra support of the heavy projector...I wasn't comfortable allowing the 3 stock plastic grommets to hold the entire assembly up after prolong shock from riding):
Img_0027.jpg

Not bad fitment! Trimmed the plastic grommet grooves to center the mounting posts:
Img_0029.jpg

Painted all parts high temp (1200 degree rated) semi-gloss black:
Img_0030.jpg

Test mounting the projector:
Img_0031.jpg

Img_0032.jpg

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Img_0126.jpg

Img_0134.jpg

The depth was perfect, the bulb will stick out just enough to get the stock rubber dust boots over it to connect the Denso ballast connectors!
Img_0129.jpg

Img_0136.jpg

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Next step is to get both cutoff lines perfectly horizontally level by test firing both projectors on a light colored wall and adjusting the cutoff line to sit perfectly horizontal (level).

Here's the output beam of ONE projector on low beam mode. Will make for some good flicker from stiff suspension! With the highbeams on The visibility will be ~400% brighter and 200% wider than the stock highbeam and low beam.

Dscf4773.jpg

Img_0223.jpg

Img_0225.jpg

From 50 feet:
Img_0236.jpg

200 feet to that tree and rooftop...still a sharp beam on low beam!
Img_0239.jpg

Note: The fairing is not installed back on the bike yet...I was just sitting it on a bench so I realize it's aimed too high!
Wait till I post highbeam shots from the road!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The Amber LED POD lights I installed are amazing! In real life the appear the same color as the signals. The FX35 projectors are positively awesome...pictures do not begin to show how much better the output is over stock, you have to ride the bike to believe it!

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
A few pics of the output from the saddle:

Low beam:
Img_0390.jpg

High beam:
Img_0393.jpg

Dark Back Road

Low Beam:
Img_0387.jpg

High Beam:
Img_0385.jpg

These pictures do not do the real life performance justice!

The night riding experience is unlike any other motorcycle ride you've ever taken! It's like there is no night when the highbeam is on! I can ride 95% as fast as I would in sunlight on the curves with superb visibility!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write up. The projector retro-fit was the best mod I ever did on my bike. For those that are looking to do this, would you mind including some measurements of the metal plate you cut out?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Phenomenal results!! I'm jealous.. I love my naked conversion and have no interest in going back, but I'd love to have that kind of light output!
Someone needs to figure out a way to mount these projectors in some aftermarket naked headlight housing!! :D

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
So I understand you correctly, the projectors on both sides are the same size, and the same bulb? Thanks, for the write up, and how long did it take you to install?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write up. The projector retro-fit was the best mod I ever did on my bike. For those that are looking to do this, would you mind including some measurements of the metal plate you cut out?
Unfortunately I did not take measurements, I used cardboard as a template, placed it over the 3 adjuster studs in the housing and marked where the studs were, then cut it out, test fit often till you have a perfect template...then trace that template to 1/8" aluminum for the mounting plates.

Someone needs to figure out a way to mount these projectors in some aftermarket naked headlight housing!! :D
It's definitely doable on some of the naked single lamps as long as they have clear lenses and not the fluted kind. I've seen a road bike with a single HID projector done.

So I understand you correctly, the projectors on both sides are the same size, and the same bulb? Thanks, for the write up, and how long did it take you to install?
That is correct, both projectors are identical from a Infinity FX35 SUV as well as the same bulbs that come in all factory equipped projector HID systems (Philips 85122+ D2S at 4300K-Kelvin color temp).
If you are not familiar with "Bi-Xenon" projectors; it is simply a metal shield that covers half the projector lens when in low beam mode. When you flip on the high beam a electromagnetic solenoid pulls the shield down out of the way exposing the entire beam.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write up. I'm pretty good with mechanicals but electrical things make my head hurt. I've been wanting to do this mod for a while now. Can you get into a little more detail on the wiring end of things i.e. where you plug into and where the ballasts or anything else you had to add would go in the circuit etc.? Also do you mind telling us the total cost of the mod?

Thanks

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
Is there any advantage to doing this over the eBay projectors that are just plug and play and fit right into the stock headlight? I don't mean just as bulb, i mean the full projector with the halo. Aside from having to heat up the headlight housing to pull it apart it was painless. Is this the same as that or is there some sort of advantage to these?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any advantage to doing this over the projectors that are just plug and play and fit right into the stock headlight? I don't mean just as bulb, i mean the full projector with the halo. Aside from having to heat up the headlight housing to pull it apart it was painless. Is this the same as that or is there some sort of advantage to these?
These are OEM (factory) HID projectors from a $65,000 Luxury vehicle. These projectors will outperform any of those plug-n-play smaller projectors. Bigger is better and OEM from the auto world means quality. The beam on these OEM projectors is a lot wider and a noticeably brighter than PnP projectors. I've been retrofitting projectors into cars for about 5 years...I've compared pretty much every HID projector available side by side and have seen the differences. It would have been a bit easier to go with a PnP projector but my moto is "Go big or go home!" :D

Thanks for the write up. I'm pretty good with mechanicals but electrical things make my head hurt. I've been wanting to do this mod for a while now. Can you get into a little more detail on the wiring end of things i.e. where you plug into and where the ballasts or anything else you had to add would go in the circuit etc.? Also do you mind telling us the total cost of the mod?

Thanks
Total cost for an equal set up today would be very reasonable. An aftermarket company has produced an FX35 aftermarket projector called the FX-R and it does perform identical to the real OEM unit and in a very affordable package price with all the HID components included for $315 from Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc
For $350 including all hardware, sealants, etc you will need and then a solid weekend to do the project...very worthwhile modification! :rockon:

For the wiring, a relay harness comes with that package but I would personally buy a second relay harness and run one per side so if something goes wrong with one of them you only loose one lamp, not both at the same time! The harness connects to the battery terminals and then you plug part of it into the factory Low beam socket and the high beam solenoid wires plug into the factory high beam socket and it functions with your factory high beam switch that easy.
Here is where I mounted my HID ballasts and wiring on my 2006 fairings:
Dscf4542.jpg

I was able to drill through the inner fairings to insert stainless bolts with plastic washers to hold the ballasts since the 2004-2006 bikes have an outer fairing piece that covers the bolt holes. Alternately you can use industrial strength adhesive backed velcro to attach them.

Last edited:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I used industrial velcro when I did mine and it eventually came apart while I was riding, only hanging on by the wires. I'd recommend hard-mounting them if you can guys.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, great job! I may have to do this eventually. Looks pretty easy actually, just a little time consuming.

For mounting stuff like that, 3M has some red-backed tape that works wonders, and you can get it at almost any hardware store.

3M Commercial Office Supply Div. Products - Heavy-Duty Exterior Mounting Tape Holds 5 lb. 1x60 - Sold as 1 RL - Professional Quality Tape is designed for Attaching Items Up to 5 lb. virtually to any Surface Including Brick Stone Masonry Stucco Glass

I've used it in places on cars where it even got wet, hot, and generally bad conditions for tape to be in, and it held fine. It does need around 24hrs to fully "stick", but once it's on, it's on! That's another thing to keep in mind with it, once it sets, have fun getting it off. Much better than velcro.

bertmoog

Yes, I am.
Reaction score
Visit site
This is easily one of the coolest mods I've seen done to the FZ6. Excellent crafting, implementation and result. Two thumbs up! :thumbup::thumbup:

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Your mod was one of the driving forces for me eventually putting HIDs into my FZ6. Seeing the light output and sharp cutoff from your setup was something that I wanted on my bike.

That said, I did eBay retrofit bi-xenon projector (4500k), because I'm price conscious and didn't want to hack up my headlight assembly.

So, for $145, I got headlights that are brighter than I ever experienced. I'm sure that the FX35 projectors are better, but I'm more than satisfied with my setup. Helped me see many deer off to the side of the road two weeks ago when I took a night ride....

Crazy how bright it makes some street signs and other reflective objects.

I am disappointed with the angel eyes that I chose though. I wanted a bright amber to match my amber pod LEDs, but the yellow angel eyes on my headlights are rather whiteish and washed out looking. Not that you can see them with the headlights on anyways.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Your mod was one of the driving forces for me eventually putting HIDs into my FZ6. Seeing the light output and sharp cutoff from your setup was something that I wanted on my bike.

That said, I did eBay retrofit bi-xenon projector (4500k), because I'm price conscious and didn't want to hack up my headlight assembly.

So, for $145, I got headlights that are brighter than I ever experienced. I'm sure that the FX35 projectors are better, but I'm more than satisfied with my setup. Helped me see many deer off to the side of the road two weeks ago when I took a night ride....

Crazy how bright it makes some street signs and other reflective objects.

I am disappointed with the angel eyes that I chose though. I wanted a bright amber to match my amber pod LEDs, but the yellow angel eyes on my headlights are rather whiteish and washed out looking. Not that you can see them with the headlights on anyways.

Glad you did the mod! Any HID projector will outperform halogen reflectors, the Ebay ones can perform adequately for the price for sure. The best low cost projectors I've tested are the Morimoto Minis. Just over $100 per pair and they can be used with any low cost H1 HID kit and perform about 90% as good as the high end OEM projectors in my tests. They are also installable without cutting the headlight reflector at all.
0.jpg