Bi Xenon Projector Retrofit Write Up

makanouchi

Reaction score
Visit site
1. Remove the headlights from the bike.
a. Remove inner plastic fairing cover
b. Remove the turn signals.
c. Disconnect all wiring from the headlight.
d. Remove the 4 screws holding the headlight assembly to the frame.
Now the whole front fairing should come lose
e. Remove the 5 screws holding the headlight assembly to the fairing.
The turn signal brackets also need to come off

2. Disassemble the headlight assembly.
a. Bake the headlight for 15-20 min at 200 degrees.
b. Using a flat head screw drive, pry open the clips holding the front cover
c. Cut the sealant as you pull the cover off, it will get messy if you don' cut.
d. Remove the 2 factory reflectors and save the 3 mounting clips for each
IMG_09411024x768.jpg

IMG_08481024x768.jpg

3. Fabricate a mounting plate for the projectors.
a. Cut a template using whatever you can find around the house
IMG_09981024x768.jpg

b. Transfer your pattern to the 1/8 inch aluminum sheet and cut
I used a gig saw with a metal cutting blade.
IMG_09741024x768.jpg

c. Test your mounting plate for accuracy

4. Paint all exposed parts black, I used high temp flat black from auto zone
5. Assemble the projector housing onto the mounting plate.
I used M4 x 50mm screws, nuts, and locking nuts.
M4 screw into the projector, and a nut on each side of the mounting plate.
IMG_08661024x768.jpg

IMG_08651024x768.jpg

Last edited:
6. Install mounting plate with projector into the headlight assembly.
The 3 mounting clips had to be trimmed to fit the 1/8 plate.
IMG_08671024x768.jpg

IMG_08691024x768.jpg

IMG_08701024x768.jpg

7. Reinstall the front headlight cover by baking and reattaching.
I clamped them together for about an hour to make sure.

8. Reinstall the headlight assembly onto the bike by reversing the earlier procedure.

9. Install the electronics.
a. Power and ground from battery with an in line fuse to a Bosch relay.
c. power on switch from the positive side of the factory headlight connector
d. Power out from the bosch relay to the two ballasts.
Ground from the battery to the two ballasts.
e. Projector high beam solenoids positive and negative to the factory high beam connector.
f. I mounted the ballasts in the front fairing right under the headlight using zip ties.
g. Relay connectors:
86 - ground
85- power on switch (factory headlight connection)
30 - power from battery
87 - power out to the ballasts

Finished Product:
IMG_09591024x768.jpg

IMG_09531024x768.jpg

IMG_09721024x768.jpg

Don't forget to adjust the headlights when all said and done. Adjust the mount bolts to angle the mounting plate up or down. I can honestly say light output is 300 percent better. When I turn on the high beam, it's like daylight. The projectors, ballasts and bulbs are from a Nissan FX 45. For anyone who wants to attempt this, it's not too hard, took me a weekend. I apologize if I missed something, this is my first write-up and I'm not sure how detailed I should get.

excellent write up again

one question, can you post a close up pic of the headlight as it stands right now. I'm curious how much you can see through the front without a reflector blocking the back side of the housing

Awesome mod, I do have one question, is this a legal mod? I really want to do this, but I dont want some cop pulling me over and make me change it back.

Awesome mod, I do have one question, is this a legal mod? I really want to do this, but I dont want some cop pulling me over and make me change it back.
Whether or not it's complelely legal to retrofit your headlights is probably dependent on state and local lighting laws. The fact of the matter is though that this uses DOT approved systems. These projectors are all approved by the DOT for use in passenger vehicles so as long as you aim them properly and use your high beam properly at night, there's no reason for cops to bother you. Most of them propably don't know Adam from Eve when it comes to bike lighting. They are probably more concerened with are your not throwing a ton of glare and stray light everywhere (ie- sticking rebased HID bulbs in halogen projectors, which is illegal).

In my opinion, the probability of driving by a cop and having hi say "hey, thats a 2007 Yamaha FZ6 with HID lighting, thats not stock, i better pull him over," is slim to nill, so long as you have everything aimed properly.

I have to agree with brad, if done correctly, there is now way a cop would know if your headlights have been modified. There are plenty of bikes with projectors. At worst, he might pull you over because it is aimed to high and ask you to fix it.

Whether or not it's complelely legal to retrofit your headlights is probably dependent on state and local lighting laws. The fact of the matter is though that this uses DOT approved systems. These projectors are all approved by the DOT for use in passenger vehicles so as long as you aim them properly and use your high beam properly at night, there's no reason for cops to bother you. Most of them propably don't know Adam from Eve when it comes to bike lighting. They are probably more concerened with are your not throwing a ton of glare and stray light everywhere (ie- sticking rebased HID bulbs in halogen projectors, which is illegal).

In my opinion, the probability of driving by a cop and having hi say "hey, thats a 2007 Yamaha FZ6 with HID lighting, thats not stock, i better pull him over," is slim to nill, so long as you have everything aimed properly.

Nice mod! Very well done and professional looking. :thumbup: I like the fact that it looks OEM and NOT shade tree mechanic. Pretty cool to make your own stuff huh? :D

Where did you get the parts from / do you have part numbers?

Ebay.... no part numbers, practically any oem projector housing with similar dimensions will work. There is quite a bit of room in our headlight assembly. Go for Nissan or Infinity ballasts because they are smaller.

One more question...I just checked out ebay, and i see different Nissan projectors. There are full headlight projectors with the headlight housing going for about $250-275, and then there are just the projectors that say they are fog lights for about $80. Are they the same as the others, but without the headlight housing? Did you get one of the full housing ones and take it out? THanks for your help.

One more question...I just checked out ebay, and i see different Nissan projectors. There are full headlight projectors with the headlight housing going for about $250-275, and then there are just the projectors that say they are fog lights for about $80. Are they the same as the others, but without the headlight housing? Did you get one of the full housing ones and take it out? THanks for your help.
try searching for "FX projectors" otherwise search for just "projectors" in the Xenon Lights category of ebay motors

Back