Underseat container

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm going on a trip this weekend and wanted to carry some tools in the underseat compartment. I don't think it gets TOO hot under there, but does anyone have any experience with container to put down there? I was thinking a tupperware type thing, or maybe just zip tying a plastic bag in there. Ideas?

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
I have used a container similar to this one to keep my insurance and registration under the seat. I still put them in a Ziploc inside of it. I'm not sure of the temperature ratings but hasn't melted so far!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Waterproof-Container-Transparent-Resistant/dp/B0053Y7T48/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1340377246&sr=8-13&keywords=waterproof+container]Amazon.com: Plastic Waterproof Storage Case Container Transparent Cover Water Resistant Pool: Home Improvement[/ame]

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
I would never put my papers in my bike. In case it got stolen or wrecked i want my papers on me at all times. (but if my jacket got stolen, i'm ****ed :p)

I always have a small tube of chainlube in there, never seemed to be anywhere near hot when i take it out after a ride.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I popped the seat after riding Wednesday (95F) in rush hour traffic. It was HOT. I keep the stock tool bag, a plastic puck, and a small first aid box. I'll throw out a wild guess and say 130F/54C.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
tools i always carry include the oem toolkit
plus a good tyre plugger
philips head screwdriver the one with a flat head on other end
a couple of allen keys to fit different screws; in-case you need access to battery
newer givi boxes have a document holder just under the lid, the red part, this would be safer for docs, u should make photocopies so you wont lose or damage originals

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
I've carried a water bottle under my seat, and the water got warm but not hot. The outside temp was probably in the eighties that day.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I always have that area chock full of tools and stuff. I even have a couple CO2 cartridges in there. I've never had a problem. I figure if the plastic that the compartment is made out of can take it, everything else can. I would draw the line at chocolate bars though.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
I always have that area chock full of tools and stuff. I even have a couple CO2 cartridges in there. I've never had a problem. I figure if the plastic that the compartment is made out of can take it, everything else can. I would draw the line at chocolate bars though.
this is a bad option, with the co2 because when these get too hot they will explode, i keep mine in jacket

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
I would never put my papers in my bike. In case it got stolen or wrecked i want my papers on me at all times. (but if my jacket got stolen, i'm ****ed :p)

I always have a small tube of chainlube in there, never seemed to be anywhere near hot when i take it out after a ride.

Yes I agree. I now carry them in my jacket.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site

Just an FYI, not all plastics are equal. The stuff in that area of our bikes is most likely a thermosetting, vs thermoplastic. thermosetting won't melt back down, only burns after it has been made. Thermoplastic will melt again and can be reused easily.

That being said, someone mentioned a water bottle being fine, which IS a thermoplastic, so i'm thinking Tupperware will be fine.

Thanks guys!!

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
this is a bad option, with the co2 because when these get too hot they will explode, i keep mine in jacket

No, it won't actually explode. IF it gets too hot the end seal will melt long before the case explodes. Worst case, my cartridge leaks rather un-dramatically and I'm stuck somewhere with no way to fill my tire. I can't find the melting point of that seal online anywhere, but I'm betting it's well higher than the temps encountered under the seat anyway.

Of course, those cartridges are small so I'd say your riding jacking is great place to store them.

If I end up being completely wrong and an exploding CO2 cartridge kills me one day I'll definitely start carrying them in my jacket.:thumbup:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No, it won't actually explode. IF it gets too hot the end seal will melt long before the case explodes. Worst case, my cartridge leaks rather un-dramatically and I'm stuck somewhere with no way to fill my tire. I can't find the melting point of that seal online anywhere, but I'm betting it's well higher than the temps encountered under the seat anyway.

Of course, those cartridges are small so I'd say your riding jacking is great place to store them.

If I end up being completely wrong and an exploding CO2 cartridge kills me one day I'll definitely start carrying them in my jacket.:thumbup:

Till you skid on chest and get air injection! :rolleyes:

I've found that cavity helps to incubate my yogurt and keep my coffee warm! :thumbup: (CAT on the Flip side) And true to that - Not all plastics are equal; empty water bottles have been known to deform. . . Likely 150 or so ??? idk

cranduit

Reaction score
Visit site
I put my tool kit and a disc lock under there. Tool kit is in a Walmart special cheap zippered bag from the cosmetics section. Just cheap clear plastic that has held up ok, but it's only been on this bike for about 6 months. I kept it in the tank bag on the last bike for about 3 years probably.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
a couple of occy straps a few extra tools like a mini leatherman and a wind up led torch, and that was after using a combination carabiner helmot lock when I went to the pub, locked the helmet on in daylight then later that night couldnt read the combination in the dark, had to do it one number in the headlight wash each time as a car passed.
disc lock goes in there and the tender hook up is in there too, but I can get that out without lifting the seat, stillplenty of room for the plastic over pants and they havent melted (yet)

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I have put a packing sheet (foam, bubbles, 3-4mm) and now the container is much much cooler than before. It is barely warm after a long ride on a summer day. + it makes that ugly and impracticable container a bit better imho.

My stuff are in zip lock and all is good.