Valve Checked, Now Bikes ticking

LINDYMAC

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought My FZ6 a few months ago - was a complete tool and mis-read my owners manual, took my bike into a shop (I had not been to) at 16000 miles to get valves checked, oh well I figure, can't hurt. Mechanic says all valves in spec, but that he cleaned the throttle bodies while in there. I picked the bike up, and at first thought it was just my imagination, but started it up this morning, and am getting a sort of ticking coming from the left side of the engine, sounds like rapid metal on wood, it's louder than the engine pur at idle, at stoplights, it's all I hear. Sounds like this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7AXUHSV4DI]Noise coming from my FZ6 (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]

I called the shop, and asked, they mentioned something about cams, but the mechaninc wasnt there, I'm going to need to take it back so they can listen, but hoping anyone here might have an Idea of what's happened, so I can at least sound like I have a good idea of what they messed up.

LINDYMAC

Reaction score
Visit site
After Looking around a bit, I'm pretty sure it's the cam chain tensioner, but the noise started immediately after the bike came back from the shop. Assuming the mechanic was only in the bike for the valves and throttle boddies, could it just be weird coincidence that the CCT goes out now?

It's an 06 with 16000 Miles. Seems pretty low for something like that.

LINDYMAC

Reaction score
Visit site
After Looking around a bit, I'm pretty sure it's the cam chain tensioner, but the noise started immediately after the bike came back from the shop. Assuming the mechanic was only in the bike for the valves and throttle boddies, could it just be weird coincidence that the CCT goes out now?

It's an 06 with 16000 Miles. Is that way low for Cam Chain issues? I feel like it's more than coincidence, the shop somehow messed with it, I'm just not sure how these things come together.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not trying to place blame here but turning the engine over CCW vs normal running CW could strain the CCT just enough to cause issues. So, in the realm of valve checking it would be pretty easy to do while trying to position the cams for proper clearance.

You could pull the CCT out and inspect it. There are several write ups in the topic.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I don't think it sounds that bad. You sure it's making more noise now then before and not just that you are paying more attention to it.