2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
FinalImpact, if you could have been in Southern California and didn't mind to be bothered and getting paid,,I would have asked your help to adjust my 2007 FZ6 vavle..:) It's hard to find any shop to do the job I meant trustworthy....

Anyone knows what the cost to get the valve adjustment? what the best shop around in Southern CA (Orange, Los Angeles county?)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some thoughts about doing this job and hopefully it will add some value to those who DIY! As you follow along, keep in mind I purchased the shim kit so this changes what I need to do and how I proceed. Example, doing one cam at a time.
* Plan on about an hour to get access to the valves!
* Plan about an hour to check the valves and record the lash values in your chart!
* PS - I checked them all twice and verified I could repeat my previous "As Found" values. If you screw up this first measurement, YOU WILL BE PULLING THE CAMS AGAIN and wasting your time! Take the time to CHECK IT TWICE!
* Plan about an hour to pull a cam and sort out the required replacement shim values!
* Plan about 30min to verify the New Shim Values once the cam(s) is/are in. It took 3 tries getting the chain proper before I tightened the caps. Luckily I hit a home run on the chain position.
* Plan at least 1.5 hrs to assembly, valve cover, side cover, rubber mat, coils, plugs, radiator, airbox, battery box, fairing, fuel tank, and filling with coolant.
-
* Use an empty egg carton to hold old and new shims. Do one cam at a time.
* Once the Right side cover is off and the valve cover is off, confirm the left most set of valves are closed - i.e. Cyl # 1 I & E cam lobes near valve cover rail result in Crankshaft "T" mark aligning to case split.
* The cams pop out pretty easy once the CCT has full slack. Back it out or remove it. Your choice. Personally I saw now benefit in removing the cam gears as the cams will lift out around the chain. Doing one cam at a time, allows the other cam to hold the chain.
* If you pull the cam bolts out, Be careful and DO NOT RAM THE PISTON INTO THE VALVES!
* THIS IS AN INTERFERENCE ENGINE, if you get it out of time (Crankshaft vs Camshaft(s), the pistons WILL COLLIDE with the VALVES and its possible to damage them!
* If you turn the crank and it suddenly stops, DO NOT FORCE IT!
OPTIONS IF OUT OF TIME:
- - If you get it out of time and find you bound it up, you can loosen the CCT and rotate the cams with a wrench on the cam bolts.
- - You can loosen the cam caps allowing the valves to close. Align Crankshaft (CS) to TDC and re-position the cams for Cyl #1 in the V shape mentioned above by OP!
* Turning the engine through by HAND SEVERAL TIMES USING a standard ratchet is WAY SAFER than hitting the starter button. Don't get worried as long as you can verify your marks.
* This is time consuming so don't expect to be done in 4 hours especially if you like to clean and inspect everything.
* I did a lot of detail work cleaning everything while I had easy access. This likely added about 3 hours to the job.
** Overall - expect to be tinkering for a whole day!

@21,000 miles:
Bike is an 08, 2nd owner that's been ticking since I bought it in 2011 with ~4,000 miles on it. With the aid of a wooden stick to the valve cover area, I could hear the exhaust valves making a "tap tap tap" at idle and knew at least 3 valves would be on the loose side and shims would be required. With this, I purchased the Hot Cams shim kit. For reference, the tap sounds are there when cold and are very noticeable when hot.
* If you look at the Chart, 3 Exhaust valves have exceeded the MAX clearance 0.005" which equates to an audible tap tap tap! This is NOT the CCTs fault! Basic maintenance to bring the cam to valve clearance into specification will quiet the noise this engine has been making!

CONDITIONS:
Engine off and cold.
Ambient temperature: 50°F with high humidity. Requirement met (check when cold! lol)
All exhaust valves out of spec. :thumbdown:
All intake valves in spec and nearly identical! :thumbup:

NOTE: Before going to the garage, grab a notepad and straight edge and make two tables like those shown below. Allow room for some chicken scratch. Your hands are gonna be oiled and soiled so its no place for direct input into a PC/Tablet.

Make section for EXHAUST and INTAKE with Labels like: "As Found" and the "As Left" for recording keeping and resale value. I also made an Excel spreadsheet to transfer my findings to. The benefit here is you don't need the Yamaha FSM shim chart and you can predict your exactly what gauge thickness should fit when done. << That will save you time!
- Example: With this Spreadsheet you can pick a desired "Lash Clearance like (0.27mm)", grab the closest "shim value" and then see the Expected Lash based upon "your actual engine details and the new shim value chosen."

Using this method the clearances were in specification on the first pass! :thumbup:
- Why pick 0.27mm ?? If valves have too little clearance, the cam holds them open and they risk burning up from over heating. Too much clearance and they TAP and/or **may** knock the valve spring retainers off and the valves fall into the engine (think mass destruction). With 0.27mm = I'd rather hear them be loose then burn and you can't hear valve too tight unless it causes misfire from lost compression or collides with the piston. So, error on the side of loose vs too tight!

As Found/As Left Exhaust and Intake w/calculations for replacement shims (units = mm):
attachment.php

TOOLS NEEDED:
FEELER GAUGES: Get some narrow ones!
The job takes just a few tools and is pretty straight forward. The one issue that slowed me was my old STD English Inch feeler gauges which were to wide to get into 4 of the exhaust valves. Feelers greater than 0.50" wide will not fit on 4 of locations. A set that is angled and less than 0.40" (~10mm) would work much better!

18 Count Egg Carton:
Use a egg carton hold your shims and label it w/a Sharpie. Label them 1L, 1R, 2L, 2R.... It was easy and effective.
attachment.php

Syringe:
Unless you like oil dripping down the headers, a syringe can be used to empty the oil wells. Use the same oil to coat the cam and buckets when putting it back together. Order the syringe through Amazoo 10ml w/15gauge 30mm blunt tip . 10 pack 8.99 shipped.

Measuring / Using the feeler gauges:
When you find one gauge is loose but the next one up is too tight to go in, drop down ONE WHOLE SIZE and double up using a thinner gauges by stacking them.
Example: lets say we are measuring and find the following:
0.012" = too tight
0.011" = slides in easy and feels loose

Increase your measurement Resolution / Pair up smaller gauge values:
0.010" + 0.0015" = 0.0115"
- This gives you better resolution than a single gauge. Plus thinner combinations are more flexible (0.0015"). Yes, it takes longer but its worth it! That's why you see those 0.0065" values in the INTAKE section.​
Extra Labor:
CCT
This is just me but I pulled the CCT out for inspection. Be sure to Remove or at least loosen the cap BEFORE unbolting the CCT from the block.
- Remove the clutch cable bracket to make it easier to access the CCT bolts.
- To install it, Screw the adjuster CW, keep screw driver on CCT and start the bolts to secure CCT to block. If the Screw driver slips out & the CCT EXPANDS, retract it AGAIN!!!
- DO NOT try to force the CCT down using the mounting bolts with the CCT extended! Use screwdriver to retract it!!
Inspection found it was smooth and consistent. I also dropped fresh oil in it before returning it to service. Verify UP is UP when installing.
attachment.php

Fairing - if equipped:
That fairing is 1/3 of the way removed once the inner fairing has its bolts out. Its 6 more bolts, a couple wires and the 2 12mm bolts at the head set. Set it aside and let a little light in there! Its worth it! Plus better access for cleaning and inspection.

Battery Box and Ignition Coils:
Two bolts and the coils are free!!! Yes, mainly so I could clean things and inspect everything! :rolleyes:
But it keeps the area clear and reduces the likelihood of knocking debris into the open engine! CLEAN IS IMPORTANT!!!!
55637-valve-clearance-adjustment-dsc_7938-jpg

I'm not in this for the Money or in a race time wise so I count this as time to make a thorough inspection of everything! I depend on this vehicle to be reliable and not take my life. I inspected the frame for cracks!
DSC_7966_zpscc1a15f3.jpg

Verify TDC: Not required, but I modified the trigger so TDC no longer aligns with case split. i.e. If I stop at "indicated TDC mark", the piston is already headed back down the bore.
My intent was to install a degree wheel and measure the intake and exhaust closing events. I was not able to get a dial indicator to reach the valve bucket. I just didn't have the right tools to get around the cam and have a straight shot. That said, after the ignition trigger mod my TDC mark was off just a little!
Rotate Crank around TDC and split the difference to determine actual TDC: In this case the needle would go from -20 counts, to Zero, and then as the piston starts down, + 20 counts and you rotate the dial until TDC occurs between equal counts. Bad explanation but no need for detail as its not applicable.
attachment.php

Cam marks are on target, Piston at TDC, Cyl 1 on compression stroke! The Cam does lift out without removing the gears from the cams. TIP: Clean the chain links & cam; place some Sharpie marks on the CAM and CHAIN LINK. This is your index assuming you don't drop the chain off the crank. NOW - If you only need to remove the EXHAUST CAM, Remove the CCT and rotate the engine CCW until the back side or CCT side of the chain is tight but NOT ENOUGH TO MOVE THE INTAKE CAMSHAFT!!! Just take the slack out of the chain. This keeps tension on the backside, keeping the CRANK and INTAKE CAM CHAIN LINK COUNT IN TIME! It also makes slack on the EXHAUST CAM GEAR so the cam & gear can be lifted out once the caps are removed. NOW, once you shims are swapped, align the Exhaust gear to the mark you placed on the chain to RESTORE THE EXHAUST CAM TIME TO ORIGINAL LOCATION. Rotate the gear into place seating the cam in the head. VERY IMPORTANT: Use a short extension and APPLY PRESSURE LIKE the CCT does pushing on the CHAIN GUIDE. With your free hand, Rotate the engine CW to REMOVE THE SLACK WE CREATED on the EXHAUST SIDE OF THE CAM. Stop rotating Crankshaft as the "T" comes into place at the blocks split.
At this point - the chain section from CAM to CAM should be tight. Both CAM gears should be aligned to the HEAD. The Exhaust side of the chain to the crank should be tight AND ALL 3 marks should align again. Secure the camshaft cap bolts if you hit a home run and all 3 marks align.
55632-valve-clearance-adjustment-img_20141123_202012_947-jpg

---
OUTLINE OF GUIDES, CHAIN & CCT: MAKE CERTAIN ALL THREE SIDE ARE TAUNT (NO SLACK)!!
attachment.php
This is Where My Crank Pointer is after Trigger Mod!
55635-valve-clearance-adjustment-dsc_7955-jpg

CAMSHAFTS:
I didn't pull the intake cam but I did observe this on the exhaust:
Perhaps the intake has an "I" and paint bloob??
55636-valve-clearance-adjustment-img_20141123_184510_181-jpg

CAMSHAFTS LOBE WEAR:
See the ring? I could not measure wear but the three valves out of spec all had some form of ring on the bucket face!
IMG_20141123_183627_006_zps9cd76b9f.jpg

IMG_20141123_183124_412_zps46e7ec86.jpg

Once done setting valve lash and both cams are installed:
I used a syringe to add 5cc of fresh oil to all cylinders and all cam lobes. I rotated the engine with a short ratchet to verify there WAS NO CONTACT with the Piston & Valves! Rotate it through a couple times and VERIFY TDC and CAM Positions at Cyl 1 point away from each other while BOTH cams alignment marks oppose each other. Verify the chain has maintained its tension on all three sides.

Valve Cover install:
Clean the heads mating surface and spark plug cavity sealing area. Clean all the old RTV from the corners where the rubber fillers hang down. Wipe it down with brake cleaner or MAF cleaner and apply thin layer of black RTV at the apex of the 4 fillers smearing it 180° and each of the 8 sharp 90° transitions. Quickly install the cover. Install bolts and snug them down. They have a positive stop but still need to be pulled down evenly or you risk damage to the cover.

Random pic of mess on the floor!
attachment.php

First start up
Because this is high stakes and because you can't see all that is happening, pushing the start button after assembly brings on a bit of unknown! So, just in case I blew it, I left the coolant and fairing off off and fired it up. She quickly roared to life and sounded AMAZING!!! The tiny bit of oil in the cylinders wasn't enough to harm a mosquito. In fact it was hardly noticeable. I filled the bike up with coolant and let it come up to temp. Being an 08 the ECM needs to relearn the fuel map. Because of this, it needs some miles on it before TB sync is done.

Overall it was a good experience and everything went to plan.

PS - I put the plugs in while the valve cover was off. Much easier..... They are looking good after CO adjust, Trigger mod, and CAT-delete!
IMG_20141123_134341_990_zpsb80be358.jpg

ADDING COOLANT:
Flush the block and radiator a couple times. Our tap water is very mild here so I wasn't worried about any being left behind. Also, clean the filler neck and cap. If the Caps inner valve and seal leak (or the outer seal), as the block cools it won't form a vacuum and suck coolant from the reservoir. PULL THIS VALVE DOWN AND CLEAN UNDER IT!
IMG_20141129_114712_612_zps6810a25f.jpg

It will will take several heat cycles to fill the block completely especially if air is introduces into the reservoir line.

OIL CHANGE
Run the bike 5 miles or so and dump the oil. Using those fat feeler gauges I saw that I chipped off the black paint so its in the engine. Sorry Mr oil pump! Running it for a short bit should allow it to go to the pan and come out or be filtered out.

Notice the oil wells and paint markings inside the valve cover:
DSC_7952_zpsbaa86f75.jpg

A couple of shots along the way. I had a full fuel tank so notice I propped the hose up just in case the valve decided to leak!
TearDown2ValveCheck_zpsdahpu6w4.gif

Lots of room to work and remove bug parts!
DSC_7967_zps57e75510.jpg

If you order the HCSHIM01 (7.48mm dia) kit, this is what you get!
Size increment is 0.05mm from 1.20mm up.
attachment.php

Refills can be found here: Value cannot be null.<br>Parameter name: input
1.80mm 5 Piece Shim Refill Package 5PK748180, $5.95
2.35mm 5 Piece Shim Refill Package 5PK748235, $5.95
Just fill in the value needed (last 3 digits) when ordering: 5PK748###. Valid numbers are 120 - 350.

EDITS:
2016-02-06 Restored (SOME) of pictures lost during server migration
2015-02-01, typo and ADDED section on cam remove/install.
2014-11-29, Added more details on cam timing, checking, and how long the job takes, and the cap!
2014-11-24; calculation pictures missing, added shim kit...

Last edited:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION], awesome addition. Thanks for sharing your findings and suggestions. Great idea with the egg carton! I'll be copying that at 52,000.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In Inches. your engine had the following "As Found" clearances?? I found this in another thread and would guess from yours being this far out, it must have made a lot of clatter - tap tap tap. Q? I am guessing this made it much quieter. Did it?

Measurements (in US customary units. Not metric)
Exhaust: 1a- 0.022" 1b- 0.026" 2a- 0.027" 2b- 0.026" 3a- 0.024" 3b- 0.028" 4a- .027" 4b- 0.022":

Intake: 1a- 0.007 1b- 0.007 2a- 0.007 2b- 0.007 3a- 0.006 3b- 0.006 4a- 0.007 4b- 0.006

55638-valve-clearance-adjustment-valve-lash-left-jpg

Amount the two engines were out of spec units = Inches, Left to right as above:
_ tejkowskit Over: 0.0102 0.0142 0.0152 0.0142 0.0122 0.0162 0.0152 0.0102
FinalImpact Over: 0.0057 0.0057 0.0022 0.0017 0.0002 0.0052 0.0002 0.0022

i.e. Actual value minus MAX spec (0.0118") ^^

Point: I was curious just how much they can take before popping the keeper off the valves. This is Good Info!!! :thumbup: Mine sees the redline and didn't self destruct from being 0.005" over spec. Yours being 0.010" , well its good to know it made it 27,000 miles like that!

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In Inches. your engine had the following "As Found" clearances?? I found this in another thread and would guess from yours being this far out, it must have made a lot of clatter - tap tap tap. Q? I am guessing this made it much quieter. Did it?

Measurements (in US customary units. Not metric)
Exhaust: 1a- 0.022" 1b- 0.026" 2a- 0.027" 2b- 0.026" 3a- 0.024" 3b- 0.028" 4a- .027" 4b- 0.022":

Intake: 1a- 0.007 1b- 0.007 2a- 0.007 2b- 0.007 3a- 0.006 3b- 0.006 4a- 0.007 4b- 0.006

Point: I was curious just how much they can take before popping the keeper off the valves. This is Good Info!!! :thumbup: Mine sees the redline and didn't self destruct from being 0.005" over spec. Yours being 0.010" , well its good to know it made it 27,000 miles like that!

That is correct. Here's a picture from my notes when I did the job. Shows imperial and metric measurements.

Mine sees redline a couple times a week, though not every ride. I can say I noticed a definite reduction in clatter after the job. The motor was also smoother and seemed more comfortable all around the rev range (note I also did a TB sync at the same time, so I contribute much of the new found smoothness to that as well).

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine sees redline a couple times a week, though not every ride.
>> I can say I noticed a definite reduction in clatter after the job.<< The motor was also smoother and seemed more comfortable all around the rev range (note I also did a TB sync at the same time, so I contribute much of the new found smoothness to that as well).

Ditto - It gets ran up there ^^
Agreed - getting valve timing events near equal really helped;
- I can now hear the engine sounds vs tappets making noise.
- signifigant reduction in audible noise from the engine itself.
- Smooth the engine out.
- Potential improvement in throttle response (might just be 08 ECU in relearn = running richer).

If I had to guess - the shear volume of CCT complaints about ticking are potentially in error as its nothing to do with the CCT. Just valve lash being out of spec!

If you think about the load seen by the CAMs - drive chain and getting the timing events equal it should help reduce valve train noise. Think of one camshaft with 8 different timing events. We have reduced it to 4 events once each cylinder is brought into one event.
This also raises the engines vacuum as its now pumping more efficiently....

Scott, [MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION] to answer your question, "have I done TB sync yet" = no. IMO the ECM needs some miles on it to relearn as its noticeably rich right now from the CO adjustment + ECU reset. Hence the reason its loping / uneven RPM. The exhaust is noticeably stinky rich. It does have very good off idle throttle response like this! :D

I need to put some miles on, dump the oil and the debris I knocked in it - doing the valve adjust and then sync it and likely lean out the AFR at idle.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While doing some research about cam swaps I saw a bit of info that I thought would shed light on WHY the exhausts are showing more change than the intakes. In short there is nothing conclusive other than greater heat the exhaust is subject to.
By the advertised specs it appears the intake has greater spring pressure while at lift but its a pretty minimal difference. What is interesting is that the Exhaust valve installed height is greater and that value is near its actual lift height.
- My best conclusion is that working height of the springs has the exhausts open pressure at a higher rate and has induced more wear to the bucket and cam.

FZ6 Spring Rates Intake (blue) vs Exhaust (red):
Spring rate K1 (intake): 10.50 N/mm (59.96 lb/in) Inner
Spring rate K1 (intake) 20.80 N/mm (118.77 lb/in) Outer
Spring rate K2 (intake): 17.00 N/mm (97.07 lb/in) Inner
Spring rate K2 (intake) 33.30 N/mm (190.14 lb/in) Outer

Spring rate K1 (exhaust): 30.26 N/mm (172.78 lb/in)
Spring rate K2 (exhaust): 49.53 N/mm (282.82 lb/in)

Installed compression spring force (intake): 69–79 N (15.51–17.76 lbf) Inner
Installed compression spring force (intake) 114–132 N (25.63–29.67 lbf) Outer

Installed compression spring force (exhaust): 160–184 N (35.97–41.36 lbf)

Installed length (intake) 30.02 mm (1.18 in)
Installed length (exhaust) 36.12 mm (1.42 in)

Notice the Intake is a dual spring while the exhaust is not. I didn't enter all the details but the installed height of the Inner INTAKE spring applies less force to the valve when closed. When at Max lift, the spring appears add force but still not as much total (two springs) compared to the single exhaust due to the difference in installed height vs open height. Mind you a stock FZ has 8.3mm (0.33 in) of valve lift.

For me its not clear why the intake runs a dual spring and the exhaust does not, other than it retains more heat. Oil splash will cool the exhaust more effectively without the inner spring coil.

PLEASE POST YOUR AS FOUND RESULTS! :thumbup:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wish I would've checked in on this thread, just bought a shim kit. All of my exhaust valves are too tight, intakes are all good.

^^ Whaaaaa --> All of my exhaust valves are too tight!

Please post your AS FOUND and AND LEFT Results! Thanks and sorry you missed out on the Shim Kit!

Thanks!
F/I

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Whaaaaa --> All of my exhaust valves are too tight!

Please post your AS FOUND and AND LEFT Results! Thanks and sorry you missed out on the Shim Kit!

Thanks!
F/I

I wrote that partially incorrectly. Not all of my valves were out of spec, but the ones that were, were too tight. See chart below, all values are metric (mm).

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wrote that partially incorrectly. Not all of my valves were out of spec, but the ones that were, were too tight. See chart below, all values are metric (mm).

Thanks for posting!
Not that we have a lot of info here, but yours is the first I've heard of being too tight!

If you don't mind sharing; how many miles, what kind of OCI, and how do you use the bike? i.e. does it see the full RPM range often or ???

Again, thanks for sharing and Nice table you have there! :thumbup:
Spec:
EXH: 0.23 - 0.30mm
INT: 0.13 - 0.020mm
55947d1421700832-valve-clearance-adjustment-valve-adjustment-1-2015-jpg

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just over 25k miles. OCI's are between 3 and 5k miles, full synthetic. Miles are mostly touring but she does see full rpm range every ride. I was surprised as well that they were tight. I measured them all multiple times because I figured I was wrong.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Valve Clearance ADJUSTMENT; a quick "how to" remove exh cam

A little excerpt from post 23.

How to remove exhaust cam:
Current conditions:
Engine at TDC on the "T" & case split. Intake and Exhaust cams index marks are opposing each other 180° and their index marks are flush with the cylinder head valve cover area as shown below.

In this excerpt I'll detail how to remove the exhaust cam and return it with minimal headache. The intake is easy as slack in the chain is created when the CCT is removed. Just lift the cam out.

Again: Cam marks are on target, Piston at TDC, Cyl 1 on compression stroke!
In this state we simply need to create slack in the chain to remove the exhaust cam. It easily lifts out without removing the gear from the cam.

TIP: Index the CAM and CHAIN using an ink marker like a Sharpie. Clean the area so the mark stays visible. I suggest you do this NEAR the OEM index on the gears. This is your "return to index" you will align the chain and sprocket too assuming you don't drop the chain off the crank. HINT: use the "valley" of the gear and the "pin" on the chain as both are easily visible. The TOOTH is hidden and inner link hard to mark.

• Remove the CCT and rotate the engine Counter Clockwise (CCW) until the back side (CCT side of the chain) is tight but NOT ENOUGH TO MOVE THE INTAKE CAMSHAFT!!! Just take the slack out of the chain so it pulls some tension against the guide. This keeps tension on the backside, keeping the CRANK and INTAKE CAM CHAIN LINK COUNT IN TIME! It also makes slack on the EXHAUST CAM GEAR so the cam & gear can be lifted out once the caps are removed.
  • With cam removed, perform shim trade out to set cam lash to specification. Proceed to install exh cam.
    -
  • Carefully return the exhaust cam to its registers following the guidelines below!!
  • Align the Exhaust gear to the mark you placed on the chain to RESTORE THE EXHAUST CAM TIME TO ORIGINAL LOCATION (Gear and chain ink index).
  • Rotate the gear into place seating the cam in the head while aligning the ink marks. When I say "ROTATING into Place", its because you will be taking the slack out of the chain section between the two cam gears.
  • VERY IMPORTANT: Use a short extension and APPLY PRESSURE (Like the CCT does) pushing firmly inward on the CHAIN GUIDE.
  • With pressure on the CCT guide area, use your free hand and Rotate the engine Clockwise (CW) to REMOVE THE SLACK WE CREATED on the EXHAUST SIDE OF THE CAM!
  • Stop rotating Crankshaft as the "T" comes into place at the blocks split!
  • At this point; the chain section from CAM to CAM should be tight. Both CAM gears should be aligned to the HEAD. The Exhaust side of the chain to the crank should be tight AND ALL 3 marks should align again. Secure the camshaft cap bolts if you hit a home run and all 3 marks align.
  • Install the CCT. Be sure to retract the plunger completely before seating the bolts.
55632-valve-clearance-adjustment-img_20141123_202012_947-jpg

That's it. If the cams were "in time" with the crank as shown, this method allows you to restore them to that location quickly and easily.

WARNING - turn the engine CW BY HAND using a short ratchet and confirm the timing marks align and THERE IS NO CONTACT of VALVES AND PISTON(s). I'd suggest doing 2 sets of 720° BEFORE EVER HITTING THE STARTER BUTTON!!

I AM NOT responsible for damage to your vehicle from information you read here at this site! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site

These are my exhaust valve specs from when I checked and adjusted them, the intake valves were all okay, and the paper I had written all the info on is covered in oil and banned from the kitchen where I am writing this

Exhaust valve specs.png

Shims were $2 a piece! without a trade in or anything... I couldn't believe it after hearing people were paying $8 USD for them generally

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site

These are my exhaust valve specs from when I checked and adjusted them, the intake valves were all okay, and the paper I had written all the info on is covered in oil and banned from the kitchen where I am writing this

View attachment 66070

Shims were $2 a piece! without a trade in or anything... I couldn't believe it after hearing people were paying $8 USD for them generally

$2 per shim that is awesome! Thanks for sharing. Any additional advice to share from your experience and add to the thread on doing this job?

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site

Some of my thoughts:

-Remove the front wheel and forks for way nicer access to the valve cover (plus then its a great time to do your fork oil/fork seals)
-Take pictures of EVERYTHING before completely disassembling
-If you dont have ball end allen keys, get them, makes removing the cam chain tensioner and valve cover bolts way easier
-Wear a headlamp before setting out to do anything, I got very sick of holding a flashlight in my teeth
-You will spill coolant at one point or another, so be prepared with paper towels etc.
-Leave the bottom bolt of the rad done up, this will allow a spare hand to reach up and unplug the rad fan which is a huge pain to reach
-Take not of how the timing marks line up to see if a stretched chain/age has contributed to anything being out slightly
-Once the CCT is loosened/removed ziptie the cam chain around the crankshaft and mark with a sharpie the chain location on both the intake and exhaust cam sprockets. This will make it very easy to reset your timing when reinstalling one or both of the cams depending if you have to do both the intake and exhaust valves.
-Triple check your valve clearances, write down and circle the final measurements
-A long bit of rare earth magnet is a great way to pull the buckets and shims off without fear of dropping anything into the engine
-I didn't find the valve cover that difficult to reinstall, go slowly and once you verify nothing is binding some gentle bumps with the meaty part of a closed fist help push it into location
-Check all sides of the valve cover to make sure the gasket hasn't shifted and it wont leak oil
-Reassembly isn't too bad if you took lots of pictures, the rubber mat under the battery is a little annoying to get right.

Hopefully some of my setbacks will help other people get it done without a headache!

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I just adjusted my valves today. 7 out of 8 exhaust valves were out of spec (too tight), but all the intakes were fine, so I only had to remove one set of cams. I was working with an expert mechanic as a coach, which made me feel a lot more confident. 3 hours of her time at $75/hr is cheap for peace-of-mind, and she supplied a shim kit. Some differences between what I did and the instructions either here or in the FSM:

-The radiator does NOT have to come off (or the rad fan). Just remove the top bolt and drop the radiator. I unplugged the three small hoses on the right side (and spilled a bunch of coolant), but I'm not sure I even needed to.
-The throttle bodies do NOT have to come off.
-Tying the tank up works extremely well. FSM will say to drain it and remove, but this is not necessary.
-The cam chain sprockets do NOT have to be removed, at least for just doing the exhaust. Simplified things immensely.
-Use a magnet to pull the bucket/shims. Seriously. Do not even start this unless you have a strong magnet for that.
-Make absolutely sure the little bolt/nut on your feeler gauges is tight. We had a very scary moment when the nut came off and dropped into my engine.
-The OEM valve cover gasket has one connecting rubber piece that will have to be cut, or it will never go back together (cam chain pushes into it)
-You'll need a new gasket for the valve chain tensioner, in addition to the side cover and head cover gasket
-Don't trust the numbers printed on the shims. Get a good set of calipers and measure them.

Total cost: $360
3 hours coaching $225
head cover gasket, oil pump cover gasket, 6 head cover bolt grommets: ~$115
parking bike overnight at garage so it'd be cold: $15
beer: $5
Total time: about 7 hours, including a lunch break, disassembly and reassembly. Plus being without a bike previous evening, so two uber trips that I'm not counting.

By contrast, the cheapest quote I got for doing a valve CHECK on this bike was $1000+. As a bonus, I feel confident enough to tackle the valve check on my wife's bike now, although it'll be a bit different.

I also trimmed up the plug wires. Easy to do while bike is apart. I meant to reseat the engine in the frame and reset all the exhaust connections, but I was running out of patience.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site

By contrast, the cheapest quote I got for doing a valve CHECK on this bike was $1000+. As a bonus, I feel confident enough to tackle the valve check on my wife's bike now, although it'll be a bit different.

Are you serious? Hell, with how much used motors cost, I should almost just let my bike blow up rather than getting the valves checked. I think they may need to be adjusted now, but I don't know that I would really want to dump over $1,000 into a maintenance item on a bike that is only worth $3,000 on a good day.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Are you serious? Hell, with how much used motors cost, I should almost just let my bike blow up rather than getting the valves checked. I think they may need to be adjusted now, but I don't know that I would really want to dump over $1,000 into a maintenance item on a bike that is only worth $3,000 on a good day.

Uhm - valid point and a bitter pill to swallow adding to it that come time to pass the FZ along and it's not like your gonna get it back!!!

// thread return!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As Found/As Left Exhaust and Intake w/calculations for replacement shims (units = mm):
attachment.php

Enteresting seeing these go both ways...

View attachment 66070

66070d1455718739-valve-clearance-adjustment-exhaust-valve-specs-png