erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a reason to explain why mine tightened and you're loosened, I thought tightening was the normal thing for them, as the valves slam themselves into the seat. My bike is running like a top though, 8,000 km after the check and adjustment (parked indefinitely now though until I find a buyer)

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
So most valves go tight, but some loosen? Mines been making more noise and if it's the valves that would mean loose right? I'm taking it into the shop tomorrow though.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=23363]erburtt[/MENTION] [MENTION=24069]thisisbenji[/MENTION]

Care to share how the bike is used? i.e. what are your riding habbits?

Agreed; as the valve beats itself into the seat, one would think it would get tighter.

Mine was loose at 6000 mi... perhaps chance or ????

Edit: I bought it used w/4000 mi on it. PO said Yamaha changed the oil at 500mi in 2008. So that oil sat in there for 4 years and ~3500 miles.
Maybe it wore the cam lobes or buckets opening the lash up or the cam moved away from valves (unlikely!)??? IIRC it always had a slight tap sound and at 6000 mi it was audible. I ran it to 20,000 and addressed it.

Last edited:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike has 18,500 miles on it. Mostly back road twisty riding, but probably 1,500 miles of mid-fast paced intermediate (b group) track days too.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked my valves for the first time at 65,000 km (40,000 miles), oil changes are done every 5000 miles or so, I ride almost every day from April through till November putting on around 12,000 miles a year. I was riding to commute for a while 120 miles per day, but really the most of my riding was out for fun, twisty roads, multi day trips riding for 10+ hours per day. I used the full rpm range quite regularly.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Took mine into the shop yesterday, he checked my CCT and said that was good. He also said that my ticking noise is most likely valves, but he wanted me to just double check that my header bolts were torqued to spec first. So I did that last night and no bueno. Anyways, I'll being calling him back to schedule having my valves checked/adjusted, he quoted me 2-3 hours for check and then another 2 hours for the adjustment if needed.

miso11

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I have a question about MoS2 grease. In the FSM is written, that valve pads should be lubed with molybdenum disulfide grease (MoS2) and valve lifters should be lubed with molybdeum disulfude oil. Is it necessary ? Do you guys use MoS2 grease on valve pads ?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pads got oiled when I did mine. Using grease on one side of the pad (valve side) helps it stick and stay in place. With oil on both sides it can stick to the cap when the cap is removed and fall out when the cap is at an angle.

Best guess is it is an assembly aid so you don't drop the shim.

Clearly the oil can take the load pressure, the location has no shear or cutting/wiping action so it doesn't make sense that a different product is required other than an assembly aid....

JM2C...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone repost these pics? Looks like photobucket kicked them.

Best I can offer is go snooping....
Error | Photobucket

s1193.photobucket.com/user/2006fz6

Try to get to the pictures following those links.
Basically quote the poster and then you can see the photo source and link. From there you get the pictures.

Good luck.

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Useless guide due to pics being gone, Good to read I suppose before attempting but without pics you are doing it blind. Pictures tell a thousand words as they say. You would think this forum would have its own image hosting (even just for this most important of all guides...) considering they are charging people for annual subscriptions as an optional extra you would think there would be enough money in the pot for a small hosting site for the few important picture guides that help so many people save a lot of money.....

Please could someone redo the pics if they ever do a valve check and adjustment as this along with a gear indicator install are the only things I would need to do and there currently is no pics for so thus makes the forum not very much help at the present time.

Last edited:

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
I am actually about to dive into this in the next two weeks. Got the service manual by my side and this forum printed out. Obviously no pics.
I will try and take some as I go, but unfortunately I have a very dim and very cold garage (not heated and in upstate NY).

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Steve, buy a high end dslr camera with flash please :thumbup:. But seriously do please try and document it. Would be awesome if there was some pics and further guidance. I feel I could do it but I have trouble understanding what the words mean very soon in to the process. When you have no-one to ask it can easily go wrong. Ive seen a couple of generic vids on youtube about it but reading this guide the process and way to do it seems very different....

Have downloaded that service manual and have a Haynes manual too but I still don't feel that confident.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I offered some insight about the missing photobucket links, action on your part will help you.

This site has been through a lot that newer members may not be aware of. So don't judge a book by its cover. It is a free site online and available from the efforts of one person. The owner puts a lot of time, effort, and money into keeping this forum present. Along the way, people and services have come and gone. The site is still here.

Thank you Dennis!

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
The photos to me are very important as I have trouble figuring out what is trying to be got across. I understand that file hosting sites collapse and what not but I would have though for the most important guide on here there would be some photos. The Haynes manual is quite useless tbh for valve clearances. If I do the valve clearance check ill take some photos and find a way to make them stay on here forever, speaking of which what is the best way to do that now if you are posting a photo.

miso11

Reaction score
Visit site
Text without pictures is better than nothing. You shoud be happy that forum like this exists. I have the pictures downloaded. I will post them later when I get home.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks dude, ye sorry if I came across as salty. Its not the posters fault I know. Those pics will be super handy to a lot of people I'm sure. Maybe an admin can replace them somehow into the original guide or compile a new version.

miso11

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are links for offline versions of page 1 and 3 of this thread. That's all I have. You have to unzip and open in your browser. Someone can take this pictures and re-do original post. I don't have time for this right now.

PAGE 3
PAGE 1

Last edited:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't been as active of a member as I used to be; I check in once in a while. I'll see what I can do to get the pictures back up in the next few days here.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update: Photobucket sucks. You're all gonna have to wait until Sunday or Monday when I'll have access to the pictures saved on my computer instead of trying to get them from stupid photobucket.