Versys VS NC700x

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Irrelevant to the FZ6 world but I know some have inquired about both these bikes, and this was a cool little vid I came across... I like how in the review they use the Versys as a benchmark... makes me all warm and fuzzy inside :rolleyes:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei9qDA9RIeE&ytsession=S4vJqljThWjbzMNWIL49LE3B-bxWvc42PX5andb8mwcneyJ2cndEMyin21IAtGBMgeY02aX7kK3KVtSn-86-gvVGK0KM2QxfkaeaQt2UF7kQRnBnIAUSiOUfbIZEbpd3KDJT8sBz6ZKr0GG3NaJWMf1O1XjfG0Hb9APLrBqeofpx3fkHQcER2kzeQefM3n7LUVVNrMSRGyqce-GiyJCbg5GREamgSQz2MLJMgS-KehI6bUzZ34X4go7XKYoNtrvQlYKzy8OFYo_thPbOKwBJ--D_m6W1P5kYffQxx2AcXt_p5GmPoCRTPDvE1bfnZkPfojB8tFTQSQ6aNhKEF3DtvmyIyqhlZ0BZWZ3v81KXeqrN-CTEEsR-SbKvzYXNIU8Y2auDq5KXiFwkeNm-U9kaOsh92YFeLJozUA2XfC0zTC4CHldrbyeS0Iv1-N5Hp7XBwbG78fEK314J95oJKnQU512zQ6LQS5g0vYJsMsPHnmU2pf3xa65DFLVVPlH9KCLnxCwxt4amhxcBDWcqWxuZwbkOPenDHJbIWRpobOwYP9eKDEozOwJbaupV6TkuhCRySRj9slNTfSTja8eMH_hOOJMvxZJfq8WJ23tI5L8AK4E155gEVWEwroyVlvEtyGWTymseHzMNyW2D4Gs4-xyImYkmWmtkcb4-yXH0IHsFPCoFYxM35wRFIQIt_XHmRqiMoMO7-I_OPAg]2012 Honda NC700X vs. Kawasaki Versys - YouTube[/ame]

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to see the NC700 with a huge aftermarket tank, in place of the storage.. that would make it interresting.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly i'd have considered it if it had a real bike engine and a long range tank in it... the low redline is a big issue for me, a bike that you have to shift like a diesel... For extra gas mileage cool, but I can't see it being very fun :(

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the Honda, it would be great as a commuter. I can't stand the style of the wheels though.

Neil

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone actually try the NC (X or S)? I'm in the market and looking most seriously at the NC700, Versys, and perhaps a Suzuki Gladius.

I was hoping to check out NC here, but no demos from Honda :rolleyes:
I hope to jump on Versys tomorrow. I know loads of people who ride Versys.. all love them. If I had to choose blindly (sans test ride) from your 3 choices, I'd go with Versys.

scidork

Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I was thinking too. I did go to a Honda dealer today but as I am in Germany and need to wait until next week for my license conversion to be complete, could not test ride the samples they had. The NC700 did feel pretty good and they had several ABS units with the standard clutch instead of the automatic. Hopefully in a couple weeks when the weather improves again I'll be able to get a coworker to take me by the kawasaki and honda dealers so I can actually test ride. If I was in the US, no question I'd go Versys but with the German speed cams and all the rules and regulations (including having to have special licenses for loud pipes) I'm actually starting to think the NC is not such a bad choice. A coworkers is looking to sell his sons 2010 xj600 with 11k km for 4500 or so, which is also a bit tempting as it is a modified R6/Fz6.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I was thinking too. I did go to a Honda dealer today but as I am in Germany and need to wait until next week for my license conversion to be complete, could not test ride the samples they had. The NC700 did feel pretty good and they had several ABS units with the standard clutch instead of the automatic. Hopefully in a couple weeks when the weather improves again I'll be able to get a coworker to take me by the kawasaki and honda dealers so I can actually test ride. If I was in the US, no question I'd go Versys but with the German speed cams and all the rules and regulations (including having to have special licenses for loud pipes) I'm actually starting to think the NC is not such a bad choice. A coworkers is looking to sell his sons 2010 xj600 with 11k km for 4500 or so, which is also a bit tempting as it is a modified R6/Fz6.

I didn't get to ride the Versys today. so no report :(

If I'm not mistaken, XJ600 = FZ6R, meaning heavier with less power. Not necessarily a bad thing, just definitely not the same as FZ6.

scidork

Reaction score
Visit site
It's definitely not the same bike but the motor itself is (like how the fz6 uses a modified R6 motor). Lower horsepower but supposedly better low end torque. Under-body exhaust but it's not too well done aesthetically. My biggest reservations with the Versys are that I am the "normal" height at 5-8 but don't know how the bike will fit me. I know I can lower the seat however if it is similarly shaped to the ER6, the seat is too wide for my legs and gets uncomfortable fast. I sat on a CBR500x today and oddly enough the seat was narrower but had a similar feeling that to be comfortable I had to stick my knees way out from the bike. The CBR500f and NC were both comfy with a normal position.

scidork

Reaction score
Visit site
For the sake of anyone else's curiosity, I ended up buying the NC700S. Not bad but not nearly as much fun as the FZ6. It drives pretty nicely but I rather quickly noticed the limited power. For where I am living, racing up to a high speed only to have to drop back down every couple of km when I hit the next town is kinda pointless, plus I'd probably get myself into trouble in the curves. As much fun as they are, most of them seem to have been built for horse carts since they have decreasing radii and minimal crowning (and other time rather aggressively crowned) while changing elevation under trees which drop their leaves rather indiscriminately across the road.

Pagey

Tiger Boy
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the NC booked as a courtesy bike when my FZ goes for its 16k service.

Hoping for good weather as i intend taking it for a long ride

We will see how she holds up :thumbup:

scidork

Reaction score
Visit site
It will definately purr along all day but if you want to pass anyone, you have to be ready to drop it from 6th (good from about 60 kph and up) to about 4th to get any sort of "kick" of acceleration, then be prepared to shift before the rev limiter is hit. When I move back to the States in 3 years, I may bring the bike back with me to join my 6 in the garage. Not a bad idea for driving to and from work or church but definitely better suited for the riding typified by an older individual where they'd rather just drive than have any sort of excitement on the way. I'm beginning to understand the logic in the DCT option except then I'd risk falling asleep. If I had not ridden the 6, this would probably be a pretty good first bike.

All that being said, it is a pretty good bike for my usage here as my only means of transportation and handles the curves very well. The mild manners probably help in keeping me out of trouble. I have been able to keep up with two BMW 1200's but the sporty of the two was probably letting me tail him rather than unleashing his 100 HP more than I have. Now if only I could get a 2nd set of mirrors so I can see what's behind me when I pass while tucked (to keep the wind off the shield from taking my head off on the autobahn and further improve mileage)...

Last edited: