Visor Misting (in the cold)

What do you use?

• Total voters

Caligula

Reaction score
Visit site
I know half of you live Oz and the US with 70+ degrees, but what is the best option to stop your visor misting up?

I'm looking into using the Pinlock system my helmet visor has.

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd recommend the pinlock. My first cheap helmet didn't have it and I tried sprays, washing up liquid, and it still misted up when it was cold. My Shoei which I replaced it with came with the pinlock insert and it's never misted up yet even down to 1-2 C above freezing.

x47b3207

Dave.
Reaction score
Visit site
My helmet has a chin vent and something like a nose guard that directs your breath away from the visor. For the most part this works pretty good

The only time I've had problems is very cold and damp. Fortunately my helmet has a setting that cracks the visor open just a touch. This always works to clear away the fog.

Scorpion EXO-1000.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Today, there were pouring rain during the morning commute.
And what I prepared for visor mist is put couple of drops of liquid soap inside of visor and clean out throughly before riding. (remove all the residual soap)
Do not apply at the outside of visor... ha ha ha I warned...

It works for me for some good amount of riding time without problem.
But not as perfect as famous products.

Here, in the california, there are not much worry about it through out the year. :rolleyes:

RedFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the lightly smoked pinlock fitted to my HJC helmet and I car ride in 30F degree weather without a problem, but my glasses will fog like crazy so I use contact lenses if I'll have a long ride. I wish I can fit the pinlock to my glasses :BLAA:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

The Cat Crap sounds like the stuff. I tried some crappy wipes (not a brand name) form CycleGear and wasn't impressed with the filmy distortion on my visor. I recently bought the Shoei RF1100 and found I was spoiled by the scorpion shield I've been riding with. The Scorpion anti fog shields are really awesome. I don't think you can beat them. My Shoei is so superior in every other way though. Off to find some Cat Crap! Now where'd I put that pooper scooper?

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the Cat Crap from an Oregon based company called daddies board shop, free shipping to you lucky US customers. I ride in -10* weather and its tough to keep the visor open at 100km/h to avoid fogging. Most wipes and others I tried didnt work good, and the Cat Crap works great. Paid $34 (incl. shipping) for 3 tubes and its worth it every time I ride

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
You can take a dry bar of soap and rub in directly on the inside of the visor, then "spread" the soap til it's clear on the visor. The thin layer of soap acts like rain-x by resisting condensation. I've never used liquid dish soap. It might work also.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Pinlock or other visor insert definitely the way to go! No messing around with soap etc needed! Never had any issues with mine in all weathers. Fit it once (can be a bit of a pain) but then that's it - spend more time riding instead of smearing 'cat crap' (what a great name!) all over your visor!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on scopion. I have found the scorpion anti-fog technology is superior to other helmets I have worn. Although it has only been a 6 month test, I have found the visor to never fog up even in 40 degree temps. For now, I won't use another helmet until other manufacturers follow suit or the patent wears off

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
The Cat Crap sounds like the stuff. I tried some crappy wipes (not a brand name) form CycleGear and wasn't impressed with the filmy distortion on my visor. I recently bought the Shoei RF1100 and found I was spoiled by the scorpion shield I've been riding with. The Scorpion anti fog shields are really awesome. I don't think you can beat them. My Shoei is so superior in every other way though. Off to find some Cat Crap! Now where'd I put that pooper scooper?

they sell it at rei.

EK Ekcessories Cat Crap Spray-On Anti-Fog Lens Cleaner - 1 oz. at REI.com
EK Ekcessories Cat Crap Anti-Fog Lens Cleaner at REI.com

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site