VS1 headlight way too dim

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally rode at night for the first time since converting to the VS1 kit. Are you supposed to use high beam all the time at night? Because the small lower light is completely useless at night. However when I use high beam it's too high and bright for oncoming traffic. Thoughts?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The stock lamp is a 35/35 watt H4 lamp the standard for US and other countries is 55/65 watt H4 lamp. If you've converted from a faired FZ6 they do do not have a switched low beam circuit and you will burn out a 55/65 watt lamp because both filament on high beam create too much heat. This is standard switching on all H4 dual filament lamps but is not done on the OEM fairing version of the FZ6.
You can do a dual headlamp mod and you will have proper switching and be able to use the 55/65 watt and above lamps.

Hope this helps. :)

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
The stock lamp is a 35/35 watt H4 lamp the standard for US and other countries is 55/65 watt H4 lamp. If you've converted from a faired FZ6 they do do not have a switched low beam circuit and you will burn out a 55/65 watt lamp because both filament on high beam create too much heat. This is standard switching on all H4 dual filament lamps but is not done on the OEM fairing version of the FZ6.
You can do a dual headlamp mod and you will have proper switching and be able to use the 55/65 watt and above lamps.

Hope this helps. :)

I really appreciate the response but I'm a little confused. I have the VS1 which isn't dual, side by side like the stock fairing. It's one main bulb (highbeam) and one bulb at the bottom (daytime). the daytime bulb is totally useless and can barely be seen at night. It looks like you sell a kit but would that work on my VS1?

Thanks again

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I really appreciate the response but I'm a little confused. I have the VS1 which isn't dual, side by side like the stock fairing. It's one main bulb (highbeam) and one bulb at the bottom (daytime). the daytime bulb is totally useless and can barely be seen at night. It looks like you sell a kit but would that work on my VS1?

Thanks again

Was your bike a fairing version (Plastics)at one time? If it was and it doesn't have a headlamp mod (It might already have a mod) You'll want to mod it to work properly. If it was a naked factory bike then it has proper switching for the H4 dual filament lamp and the original lamp would have been the 55/65 watt lamp. Your low beam should turn off when the high beam turns on. The bottom daytime light sounds like a running light and is probably run off the blue running light wire. You should be able to swap that original lamp for a standard 55/65 watt H4 lamp found at any auto store. If the Low beam does not shut off when you turn on the high beam, PM me. :)