Wash a warm or hot bike with a pressure washer.....?

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Title says it all. Will I regret washing a hot bike and more so with a pressure washer?

First off let me say I prefer to hand wash my bike. However I moved and I dont have a hose where I live.

Two main questions here. Will I damage the bike if I use a pressure washer? And can you wash a hot/warm bike? (IE gauge says engine temps are 170-200F)

With the pressure washer I know you can get water in your wheel bearings and other spots that are not good. So can i just get the bike wet from a far distance and then hand wash it? Bring some rags and a bucket with me? Or is the pressure washer at any distance going to just cause me grief?

Also how bad is it to wash a hot/warm bike? I know when yourapidly cool something its never a good thing, but I wasnt sure if the bike had a tollerence. What happens when it suddenly raings?

Trying to find a convienent way to keep my bike clean, with out having to make it a 2+ hour ordeal each time.

Brew

Reaction score
Visit site
I sure wouldn't do either but that's just me. If you have to use a pressure washer just stay far enough back with the nozzle so you don't damage anything.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah not ideal by any means :(

I was thinking of keeping the sprayer 7+ feet away just to get it wet and try to avoid damage.

One thought I had just now is to use the "spot free" option to wet and rinse, that doesnt have nearly as much pressure as the other settings. Then just fill my bucket with the soapy water.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think washing it while it's warm will do any harm, nor would using a pressure washer so long as you use a fan tip and don't get too close to it. I've used a car wash before and kept the nozzle about 3, maybe 4, feet away and had no ill effects.

Just remember, don't use the pressure washer to do the cleaning, that's what the brush is for.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
what do you mean by warm? 170F ish on the dash? Thats about how hot it will be by the time i make it to the bike wash.

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
i probably wash my bike twice a year and have always used the pressure washers in the petrol stations - €4 and 4 minutes later the bike is gleaming (maybe i do need to wipe the back wheel chain side down with a rag) couldnt be bothered spending ages with a bucket of water n a bag of rags , i live in a country where it rains very 2nd day anyway so its already getting moisture overload so im not concerned about "pressured" water getting into electrics or bearings

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
what do you mean by warm? 170F ish on the dash? Thats about how hot it will be by the time i make it to the bike wash.
The few times I've done it, I've taken it to the car wash that is just shy of 2 miles away. So, probably not quite 170. Probably more like 140ish.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I think if I am careful the pressure washer wont be a bad thing. However I am overly cautious(I hate breaking stuff) so I think I will wait until the temps drop a bit before I apply any water to the engine and all that. Thanks for your input dpaul and brew

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Pressure washed a Vstrom that I use to have and it caused the speed sensor to fail. It's OK to use but common sense says don't spay close to sensitive area such as electrics or bearings and seals.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Been washing bikes with a pressure washer for a decade, long as your careful no harm done. Hot bikes too yes lol. If in doubt though, just give it 30 mins to cool off. Peace of mind is worth more than saving 30 minutes ;)

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden my bike in downpour rainstorms at 200 degrees and didnt explode. It's not like your metal is glowing red at 1000 degrees and will melt when water touches it.

Using a pressure washer is fine as long as you don't let loose on that handle pointing at your gauges and electronic stuff. I usually hit the wheels with the blast ( that's where more of your gunk is anyways) and mist the rest of the stuff.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I first read this:

However I moved and I dont have a hose where I live.

...I glanced over at your avatar/info thinking "Kenya?" and saw you're just south of me! :D I would think you could find a place that had a hose hookup, you could carry one of those "collapsible" hoses on the infomercials (actually, I want one myself).
I sometimes use a hose (especially if I've been playing in the mud) but often just wash my bikes in the driveway, with a bucket of warm water and a sponge (for initial wetdown), nylon-covered sponge (for the bug guts and tar), and a chamois or microfiber towels for drying. It only takes me about 45 minutes (admittedly I'm not anal about polishing way up inside the bodywork, so sue me :rolleyes: ).
Finally, don't worry about the temp of your bike when you wash it; she's driven in the rain all the time by the US east-coasters, them English dudes, the Europeans, etc. ;)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the same situation, It's against my lease agreement. Apartment complex, can't even change the oil. But I do it at work. Does your work allow you to use their hose?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally, don't worry about the temp of your bike when you wash it; she's driven in the rain all the time by the US east-coasters, them English dudes, the Europeans, etc. ;)

There is a huge difference here.....
- Steady stream, Spray, and mist. Yes, on the road the bike gets drenched in a down pour, but its not steady stream right at one part. It all broken up by the headers and all that.

The big myth about killing stuff is true but it doesn't whole heartedly apply to us. Taking a running engine with 1250F exhaust of cast iron and spray water at = BAD IDEA - it cracks as cast iron disperses heat well but its structure is so loose it causes stress fractures. Aluminum is much more forgiving (denser too) but that does make it right. IF IT MUST BE DONE, mist from distance at least until it CEASES TO PRODUCE STEAM, give it some time after that to cool and acclimate, then fire hoes it if you must....

Of course no no's are:
Chain, wheel seals, triple set, ignition switch, fork seals, caliper pistons, and exposed electronics, coils, plug caps, RR etc.

Also, if you spray an active cleanser/degreaser onto aluminum and copper, take an equal amount of time if not more and spray it off with fresh water. The acidic caustic nature of degreasers when left on copper (like wires and connectors) sets corrosion in motion and that over time will cause you issues.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
This won't work if you have a lot of stairs/elevators in your apt building, but how about buckets of nice warm water from your kitchen sink? One to wash and two to rinse should be plenty.

There are also "waterless" cleaners out there, that I've read people here using with success. I've never tried them, but would be concerned that there's not enough liquid to float gritty dirt away, and you could rub it into the finish.

As for power washers, one forum member did it and had some issues, thread here:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/40431-pressure-washed-my-fz6-rough-idle.html

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This won't work if you have a lot of stairs/elevators in your apt building, but how about buckets of nice warm water from your kitchen sink? One to wash and two to rinse should be plenty.

That works and to complete your mission; should you choose to accept it, you need one of these!!! :BLAA:
The Super Soaker 10,000!
View attachment 49031

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Title says it all. Will I regret washing a hot bike and more so with a pressure washer?

First off let me say I prefer to hand wash my bike. However I moved and I dont have a hose where I live.

Two main questions here. Will I damage the bike if I use a pressure washer? And can you wash a hot/warm bike? (IE gauge says engine temps are 170-200F)

With the pressure washer I know you can get water in your wheel bearings and other spots that are not good. So can i just get the bike wet from a far distance and then hand wash it? Bring some rags and a bucket with me? Or is the pressure washer at any distance going to just cause me grief?

Also how bad is it to wash a hot/warm bike? I know when yourapidly cool something its never a good thing, but I wasnt sure if the bike had a tollerence. What happens when it suddenly raings?

Trying to find a convienent way to keep my bike clean, with out having to make it a 2+ hour ordeal each time.

are you just talking about knocking grime off the bike after a ride? also do you mean a high pressure car was type thing or a real gas powered presure washer?

-high pressure wash would be ok, as long as you dont spray directly at things you know you shouldnt.
-a gas powered pressure washer will damage your bike they are way too powerful for that.

as far as washing a hot/warm bike:

its best not to rapidly cool the engine or exhaust. that could theoretically cause deformation. im not sure if it would or not, but i definitely wouldnt chance it. i would try to let the bike cool off for at least 5-10 minutes if possible, or slowly cool the engine by making quick, soft passes over the engine. i wouldn't go back and forth repetitively, more like an intermittent kind of thing.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Quite literally just washed my bike while it was warm & with a gerni (pressure washer)............ Been doing it for YEARS with cars , trucks & bikes to no detriment whatsoever !!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: Obviously you just dont hold the nozzle up close but I still get to within a couple of feet to clean rims & stuff ;)