What aftermarket seat?

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking to replace my stock seat with something more comfortable. I am looking at the Corbin gunfighter and maybe something from Top Saddlery. Any thoughts or opinions? I would like to spend less than $550 USD. Any other companies that sell complete seats? Thanks!!!

Justin

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
It depends on what you're looking for.....Some like Corbin, although others believe it slides you too far forward.

Top Saddlery looks great and is supposed to be an improvement over stock.

Now here are two options that don't come up much:

(1) Long distance riders LOVE seats by Russell day-long. Custom Motorcycle Seats and Touring Saddles - "Day-Long" Touring Saddles and Motorcycle Seats by Russell Cycle Products They are NOT pretty to look at, but in terms of function I suspect they're the best.

(2) Also loved by many long distance riders are seats by Rick Meyer Rick Mayer Cycle custom motorcycle seats They look a bit nicer than the Russell ones IMO.

If I wanted a new seat and I had the money I'd probably get one of the two above (I love long rides and I've decided to make my FZ6 about function more than form).

If you haven't done it yet, try getting some good riding shorts/tights first. Check out www.LDcomfort.com They aren't cheap (although much cheaper than a new seat), but they are AMAZING! You'll easily triple (or more) your daily mileage with a pair of these. They are MUCH better than standard bicycle shorts or underarmor.

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
I am looking to replace my stock seat with something more comfortable. I am looking at the Corbin gunfighter and maybe something from Top Saddlery. Any thoughts or opinions?

Justin, I have the Corbin Gunfighter on my FZ and a Bill Mayer saddle on my BMW (Custom Motorcycle Seats-Bill Mayer Saddles>). This is the 3rd Bill Mayer seat I've had, and have loved every one of them, easily put 1000-1600 mile days on it with no problem at all.

Rocky at Bill Mayer Saddles is the brother of Rick Mayer. The general consensus among my friends in the LD community is that, between the two, Bill Mayer saddles are higher quality and built from the seat pan up, which is not true of the Rick Mayer saddle. Both of these saddle makers - and Russell Daylong, which is usually only preferred by "big" guys because of the "wings" with springs in them for lateral support for a large guy's 'cheeks' that hang off the seat - are custom seats, made to your height/weight/riding style and based on photos of you sitting on the bike. The Mayer seats are just at the top end of your stated price range.

The Corbin Gunfighter isn't bad; I've put 700 mile days on it, but am ready to get off after about 500 miles. It does look great on the bike and I don't have a problem with the fact that it puts me about 1" further forward than stock seat.

I tried the Yamaha Comfort Gel seat, but found it hard and uncomfortable; stock seat was better than this supposed "comfort" seat.

+10 on wearing LD Comfort undershorts, worn as underwear. Seams and leg opening elastic on regular underwear will grind into your backside, as will denim, and these discomforts are often what contributes to sore butt after a couple hundred miles. They're spendy, but oh so worth it! Wear like iron, take two pair on trips and rinse them out at night, they're dry within a couple of hours.

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a Top Saddlery seat for Christmas and really like it so far. I've not had the chance to do any long rides on it and intend to post a full review after I do. I did a little over 150 miles today with 2 brief stops and had no discomfort at all. I would start to notice a little bit of soreness after about 90 miles on the stock seat. The biggest difference I've noticed is that the seat is more level from the back rest to the tank and the material is not as slick as the stock. This makes for very little front to back sliding and should at least cause less chafing. I was constantly having to push myself back into the right position on the stock seat. On this seat, it just seems like I'm naturally in the right position all the time. I really want to do a 300+ mile ride but that may be a while. 300 miles was about the max I could tolerate on the stock seat.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info!! I hate the stock seat, I just do not fit right on it. 150 miles is all I can tolerate without pain killers. So anything would be an improvement!

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had two Rick Mayer seats and was very happy with them. Find a 'donor' seat for a pan and send it off to one of the custom seat builders. When you sell your FZ, sell the custom seat separate from the bike. You will get more $$.

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the Corbin... there Hollister shop is not far so I rode in and lot of shape/ride, add/subtract/shape/ride etc.... Folks there are top notch and spent very patient time with me..... even after all that I didn't quite like it after a week and went back --- no problem including my radical changes they had to completely re-due the leather and didn't charge me + gave me the 1st cover also.
My back side reflects my 210 lbs, and age says need to be comfy. Long distance is really good and sporting around for what I do it's great.
From "their" gunfighter I had them add just about 3 inches wider each side, dished the seat quite a bit an add the camel hump at the take. I stay in place now supported without sliding forward. The foam is hard but it works and the more miles I put on the better it gets.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Before you start spending lots of money on a new seat consider another option...working with the seat you have got already.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...stock-seat-foam-help-short-rider-success.html

This is my seat but the lowered seat is only available in Europe. It is very similar to the stock seat, made with the same material but just a bit rounder. It would not be difficult to do yourself and it is miles better than the staock seat.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/product-reviews/2826-yamaha-lowered-fz6-seat-2.html

Just some ideas.

Steve

F

FZSex

I am looking to replace my stock seat with something more comfortable. I am looking at the Corbin gunfighter and maybe something from Top Saddlery. Any thoughts or opinions? I would like to spend less than $550 USD. Any other companies that sell complete seats? Thanks!!!

Justin

I have one en route from across the pond. Top Saddlery, my cost $240.00 ...I'm a corbin fan but @ $440.00, I'm taking a chance on this recommended seat!

:rockon:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok after weeks of dithering I placed an order for the Corbin Gunfighter. I was going to get the Top Saddlery, but buy the time you add the seat pan, gel padding (what they recommended) and paid for shipping, the Corbin was $117 cheaper. I waited too long and the exchange rate is no longer in my favor.:( The sales person at Corbin asked for some info about me and how I ride. They then asked for pics of me sitting on the bike. Any modifications are free (shipping is free too, for modifications) and Corbin guarantees my satisfaction. We will see!!

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Sounds good, keep us posted. Another route is the leather pants. When wearing jeans out riding, I can feel a HUGE difference with my leathers on. Way more comfortable. I can't imagine pairing my leathers with a quality seat like you're getting would be...but I imagine I might fall asleep on it LOL

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
A friend of mine has the Yamaha Gel seat for his FZ. It is a ton better than stock and he only paid $200 out the door for it.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
I have one en route from across the pond. Top Saddlery, my cost $240.00 ...I'm a corbin fan but @ $440.00, I'm taking a chance on this recommended seat!

:rockon:

How you got it so cheap? I got mine lightly used from a SBN member for $330 shipped

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A friend of mine has the Yamaha Gel seat for his FZ. It is a ton better than stock and he only paid $200 out the door for it.

I found the Yamaha Comfort Seat somewhat of an oxymoron. Yes, it was more comfortable on first impression. But after sitting on it for 15 minutes, I found it no better than the stock seat. Besides, the Corbin has a somewhat devout following on forums. Granted Top Saddlery may be better, along with the others mentioned in this thread, the Corbin was the cheapest of the "aftemarket" seats.

When it comes to seats, everyone has their own definition of comfort.

Hypno-Toad

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Corbin seat for my 05 that I want to sell, I am trading the bike in and dont have to include the seat. i only used it 5 to 8 hours, and its in mint condition, I would let it go for 200 Cnd if you want to try the Corbin...

F

FZSex

How you got it so cheap? I got mine lightly used from a SBN member for $330 shipped

They have a bargain area on the right side of the screen and they had two for the fz6. It has silver stitching but a sharpee or dye will resolve that.

Shipped the next day, can't wait to get it.