What do you guys think of the damage to this 08 with a salvage title?

kemmer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm looking at an 08 with a salvage title. It has a big gash on the frame, do you think this is a safety concern? It's not too deep, but I just don't know enough to buy it at auction without some outside oppinion. What do you think an 08 with a salvage title and under 500 miles would be worth? all other damage is to the fairing, it starts and runs great.

photo.jpg

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does'nt look bad to me....you have to realize when a bike is crashed and taken in to the Stealership for an estimate everything with a scratch is priced and labor is calculated for replacement which can easily exceed the value of the bike causing the insurance company to total the bike and cut their losses......I would buy the bike in a heartbeat if the price was right.....just plan on keeping it though because the salvage title will kill resale value.. :rockon: :D

kemmer

Reaction score
Visit site
Does'nt look bad to me....you have to realize when a bike is crashed and taken in to the Stealership for an estimate everything with a scratch is priced and labor is calculated for replacement which can easily exceed the value of the bike causing the insurance company to total the bike and cut their losses......I would buy the bike in a heartbeat if the price was right.....just plan on keeping it though because the salvage title will kill resale value.. :rockon: :D

It's starting at 3k, I think I could get it for under 4. Needs a fairing, tank and engine cover, that's it.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's starting at 3k, I think I could get it for under 4. Needs a fairing, tank and engine cover, that's it.

I would personally pass on this one at that price. There are a number of "lightly" used non-salvage title bikes on the market around that price. Fairings and tank are not cheap by any means and, depending on your state inspection requirements & insurance company, you may have to fix the frame....big $$$$.

It is always difficult, but be patient, and good things will come :)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
A bike with a salvage title is worth much less than a bike with a clean title. No matter the mileage.

Insurance companies total bikes with aluminum frames when the frame has ANY damage.... the potential for further cracking is too great for them to ever be sure of a lasting fix.

It's a collection of parts, that happen to look like a bike. Look at Cycletrader.com, and see what '08s are going for, subtract at least $1,000 off of the lowest price you see..... then expect to pay a grunchload of a new frame and all the grief of replacing that damaged part..... and you end up with a bike that has far less resale value than the effort of fixing it.

I'd expect you to be able to buy a private party FZ6 with less than 10,000 miles for less than $4K.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Not for that price and the frame material is really thin. If it were just a scuff, but if it was ground I would pass unless you wanted the bike for parts and could get it really cheap.

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
Just pass its not worth it even the starting price is high. For 4k you could get a used 07+ with low millage and in a clean condition. My advise is wait, the right bike will come around

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I would'nt pay more than $1,500 u.s.d. for a salvage title bike......so it's starting price is double my max....I would pass on this one. :rockon: :D

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
With that gash in the frame just run away, unless you plan on parting it out.

To me it would be worth no more than $1000 and I would not ride it.

That is a parts bike for sure.

Just my $.02 anyway.

Marc

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 07 FZ with approx 4,000 miles on it with similar damage althought the frame wasn't quite as bad. I was able to sand the scars down and re-paint. I already sanded / painted the frame in the first and second picture.

Another $1,300 or so in NEW parts(gas tank, front fairings, side pod, fairing stay, misc plastic, right side camshaft cover, etc), looks as good as new... I did all the repairs so no shop charges were incurred...

Paid $2,000 for the bike, regular title...

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the others, if you can get it for cheap. Bring it home and part it out, probably double what you would pay for it.
Joe:thumbup:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i wouldnt buy it, there is a much higher chance of issues down the road and you will have a lot more trouble later when you want to sell it.

i bought my 2008 back in late july with only 1600 miles on it for $3800 in brand new condition.

i see 07's and '08's on ebay and craigslist all the time for cheap that have no accident damage. why buy a salvage bike and pay as much or more when you can get a mint condition bike for the same or less? it sounds like a huge waste of money to me and a potential for a laundry list of headaches down the road if you go with the salvage bike. i would never trust my life or my money with a damaged bike like that.