What does everybody do for a living??

Presently employed (for the past 18 years) as a District Manager with a Japanese car manufacturer. Three Xmas parties to go before retirement.:rockon:
Previously an auto mechanic, previous to that a stint in the British Army from '63 to '74. :eek:
(I had the extraordinary good fortune to be born an Englishman :D )
Yes, I'm old, but I've been everywhere.....man. :Sport:

I served in Germany at RAF Bruggen 1992-95 ... Happy days !!! spent many a drunken night in Roermond :)

By the way I was an AD tech with 16 SQN Rock apes, they called us their "pet techs" , well they did look after us :D

I was in Wildenrath from 1987-1990 (when I wasn't in the Falklands).

I did my very first "Cloggy speak" course at RAF Bruggen. Now-a-days my family reacon I'm developing a Dutch accent (when speaking English of course ;) ) uurrrgg :mad:.

(I had the extraordinary good fortune to be born an Englishman :D )
Yes, I'm old, but I've been everywhere.....man. :Sport:

Its great to hear there are lots of ex-pats around, they seem to spread like wildfire :)

By the way where are you from originally (in the UK I mean) ?

Interesting to note how many of you guys are or were military.

I trained as a mechanical & production engineer & worked in manufacturing industry for close to 25 years most of it for the same company. Now that British industry is completely screwed - Bless good old Maggie Thatcher - I'm a self employed gardener & handyman.

BTW JStein "Just a housewife" don't sell youself short, with 4 youngsters running around, you probably have the organisational skills to run a corporation! :thumbup:

Its great to hear there are lots of ex-pats around, they seem to spread like wildfire :)

By the way where are you from originally (in the UK I mean) ?

Born in Guildford, Surrey (Home Counties don't you know...but I do mingle with Provincials now and again :p :D )
Joined the army in Cardiff at 16, stationed in Harrogate, Borden, Germany (Minden), Aldershot, Plymouth, Catterick (best of all :rockon: ), Northern Ireland (three times), Cyprus and Sharjah.
In Sharjah I was attached (or was it detached) to 222 Signal Squadron (Airfield) and billeted with the Blue Jobs at RAF Sharjah. Best food I ever ate while in the service.

Born in Guildford, Surrey (Home Counties don't you know...but I do mingle with Provincials now and again :p :D )
Joined the army in Cardiff at 16, stationed in Harrogate, Borden, Germany (Minden), Aldershot, Plymouth, Catterick (best of all :rockon: ), Northern Ireland (three times), Cyprus and Sharjah.
In Sharjah I was attached (or was it detached) to 222 Signal Squadron (Airfield) and billeted with the Blue Jobs at RAF Sharjah. Best food I ever ate while in the service.

Well great to hear, took my driving license (for the cage ) in Cardiff, know Harrogate pretty well (with my parents now living in Leeds), never been to Borden, but if its in the Guttersloh area I've probably been there. Did a guard duty for a week at a RAF signals / sattelite station near Aldershot once (during training), stayed over at Catterick on a RAF road trip to the firing range on benbeculla (south Uist, outer hebrides, Scotland), Been to Plymouth a couple of times (when stationed near Weston-Supermare), I had a mate who came from N.Ireland (tenuous link there), my dad was posted to cyprus (but left the sprogs at home), yes I am a scaley brat (forces offspring). Sharjah sounds familiar but I'm not sure where it is.

The closest I got to the home counties was when my parents were living in Petersfield, (NE of Portsmouth).

Well, well its a small world. How did you end up on the other side of the pond?

Interesting to note how many of you guys are or were military.

BTW JStein "Just a housewife" don't sell youself short, with 4 youngsters running around, you probably have the organisational skills to run a corporation! :thumbup:
I prefer to call it a "domestic engineer"

I used to be in the an engineman in the Navy

I used to actually have to work for a living - I was a machinist, then NC Programmer and finally worked my way into an Engineering Tech support group. Last year something very weird happened and now I'm manager of an IT development group (???) Oh, because somebody mentioned all the current and ex military, I did 6 years in the USN PING!!!!
;)

I run a freeway grinder right now. I have run excavaters and backhoes for years to. I have done wet and dry utilities, bridge demo, among other things. But I am tired and burnt out on construction, looking for something else but construction is all I know, well that and cars. LOL but I dont want to work on cars either, Hell maybe I just dont want to work anymore.:(

I'm a breast cancer researcher, currently doing a PhD to become a doctor in my field and I focus on a particular genetic breast cancer which affect many families! Work is superb!! :)

I run a freeway grinder right now. I have run excavaters and backhoes for years to. I have done wet and dry utilities, bridge demo, among other things. But I am tired and burnt out on construction, looking for something else but construction is all I know, well that and cars. LOL but I dont want to work on cars either, Hell maybe I just dont want to work anymore.:(

Let's make a deal. You and I will start playing the lotto, if you win you give me 50%, if I win I give you 5%. How does that sound?

Ok, before going to college for ten years to become a doctor, (I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to do) I spent six years in the USN. I was a navigator on the USS Racine. You know, I have been a doctor for 19 years now and I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up!! Maybe, I just won't grow up!:Flip:

Mate you guys have it so sorted to us in terms of facilities. We have just recently started 24 hour PCI. Unfortunately even though I live in a good sized town 300,000 people. We do not do cardio-thoraics. Were getting there but for the NHS (national Health Servce) cash always seems to be a problem. The beauty is that its free to all.

Good Luck to you (perryn) for having to deal with 24hour PCI.

Last edited:
Back