Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
someone touching your bike.

Heres the situation,
I went to the pub with my son so he could buy me a drink for fathers day,

we were in there for about an hour and its a big barn type of bistro pub with lots of big sports screens, families having big lunches etc.
Cal and I are walking back and I see some folk around the bike and as we get close I reckon this fella was about to swing his leg over, being funny and endeavouring to get his 5 yo daughter to sit on it so they could take a photo.

Mom says "oh here comes the owner", now no one has sat on it that I know of, I just say "Yeah here is the owner!"and they all make the comments nice bike etc, and Cal and I helmet up, they jump in their Territory and drive off. I didnt say anything else to them, but Cal and I were both muttering about that scene from Sons of Anarchy (in ep 3 or 4 from series 1 when the gixxer rider sits on the harley and has his photo taken), dont know if they heard, and I dont think I'd really react that way, but.....

So Cal says later wonder how they'd like me on the bonnet of the car and when I tel Kez she said 'xactly the same thing,

what would be your course of action, seeing as there must have been about four big burly blokes and wives and kids, would you say more, let it go, tell them to #@*% off! or maybe do something else????

No harm done and its a family environment kind of pub, I hope next time they'll think the guy with the yellow bike didnt seen too happy maybe we shouldn't play with other peoples property

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
humour usually diffuses those situations, throwing a fit doesn't solve anything.

Just have a little chat or a joke, let them comment your bike, and if you then tell them you'd rather not let them touch it they will understand since you now formed a connection.

On the other hand, When i'm around to supervise what he/she is doing, i wouldnt mind a 5 year old sitting on my bike for a picture as long as the parents are layed back enough that they would follow my instructions (which you figure out pretty fast during that initial chitchat).

But yes, touching other peoples property without permission isn't really polite... and it is a lesson they pass on (or not) to their kids in those situations.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
My first reaction is that you either have a weird date for fathers day down under, or you like to hold stories in for a long time.

After that - Loved that episode!

I would probably come up to them asking as many questions about their "sick bike" as possible.
"Hey man, is that one of those kawasaki gixxers?"
"How many cubic inches is that engine"
"Does it do wheelies?"
"I like all of that custom work, did you do it yourself?"
"How'd you get that new scratch on the seat cowl?"
"Ever had sex with a man? no? well, do you want to?"

After that exchange, I think he'll feel pretty stupid for sitting on your bike.

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
I would be tempted by reenacting SoA. On my old bike, I had spend over £100 repair damage from that very thing, some one sat on my old gsxf and clearly couldn't handle the weight, at 210kg she was a heavy 600.
Unfortunatly I wasn't there, told it was 'blown' over, fell on its right hand side broke the indicator lens, scratched up the fairing, bent the bar and broke the connection to the heated grip.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No one, I mean NO ONE touches my bike - I try not to leave it where I can't see it.

I went to the motorcycle dealer the other day, and whilst I was in the shop, the mechanic went out and stood near a customers trailer, with a bike on it - when I came out, he was kinda leaning with one hand on my seat.

It was all I could do not to punch him in the face....

I slapped his hand away and glared at him.

Yes, I know, probably juvenile - but I take meticulous care of my motorcycle, and don't want some arsehole taking liberties with my property.

I don't do it to anyone elses property, so don't expect it done to mine.

If my sons see a nice bike they'd like to sit on, I tell them to get a bloody job and buy their own!

My thoughts anyway, and I congratulate your restraint Adrian - it was more than I could have done. (now, had they ASKED me prior, I would have surveyed the child's clothing for scratch potential, and probably acquiesced.)

Maybe....

Cheers,
Rick

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yep weird date

and thx for all your thoughts folks

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
The only time I have had anyone wanting to touch my bike it's been kids. They think it looks like a Transformer. I usually stop them before they can because it's likely still hot from me riding. I warn the parents that they may get burned. If they ask to sit on it, I will help them and make sure I can keep an eye on all the hot parts so they don't get burned.

I guess I've been lucky because I haven't experienced any damage from others touching my bike, but at the end of the day it's just stuff. I've had lots of stuff stolen from me including my favorite car of all time. At the end of the day I'd rather be happy go lucky than carrying anger or hate in my heart.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't be polite, IF I saw them touch my bike

"Get your hands off my bike" or "Don't touch my bike" but with my menacing grin :)

NOBODY touches my baby :rant:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Same thing happened to me some years ago and my fz6 was almost new those days. A father just tried to sit his daughter to the seat and i watched from a distance watching her feet not to touch the fuel tank. And those little shoes touched the tank a little bit. But i didn't mind it then. No scratches just a touch.

I think, it's better not to care too much about bike cosmetics.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
*kazza pushes kid off bike*

that would likely be me (unless kid looks to be under the age of 4 or mentally handicapped):ban:

the only people that can touch my bike are people that i know well, ride with, and can find later in the case of an incident. occasionally, if another rider asks to sit on the bike (usually to compare the position to their own) i'll let them, but only if their bike is present and they're geared up. and yes i remove the key every time i get off the bike.

for me though this thread could go under my weekly "i can't believe parents let their kids behave like....." rants. its even worse when the parents engage in a discourteous fashion, ie the allowing of the kid to sit on the bike vs. placing the kid on the bike, or ever worse sitting on the bike and placing the kid on the bike with them.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll freak out, scream at them like a madman and hold them at gunpoint until the police arrived. :BLAA:

But, seriously. I would not be happy. I'd say "If you are going to grab my bike without permission, mind if I grab your wife's ass? Oh, no? Well then, have a nice day." :rolleyes:

twack

Reaction score
Visit site
would you open someones car door and sit in their car?!?!?! then why the hell would you sit on someones bike. same in my mind. believe me words would be said in a angry manor if i find anyone on my bike:Flip:

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
I would probably have the same reaction as the OP. Wouldn't be confrontational, but wouldn't be too happy about it. For me it's more about the fact that it's mine and people should respect the property of others than about potential scratches, etc.

I'm happy to let kids sit on the bike, I'm quick to offer when I notice them ogling.

I think, it's better not to care too much about bike cosmetics.

This is my mentality about the bikes appearance. I see the bike as a tool, I don't care if my hammer gets a scratch as long as it still hits a nail. The type of riding I do and in the conditions I ride, keeping the bike meticulous is not an option, so I don't worry about it. I don't leave it grungy, but the appearance is not too important to me.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If someone asks me to sit on it straight up, I have no problem. Who knows you might have just converted a cager to a biker. It also usually ends up in some pleasant chit chat.
I let them know how heavy it is and if they "Bend it, they mend it".

People who think that its fine to swing a leg just because its there really pee me off.
About after a week of owning my bike I was at a supermarket bagging up some groceries. I parked the bike out the front and could clearly see it from where I was shopping. A really greasy looking man walked up to it and swung his leg over. I had locked the steering and he nearly dropped it. Forgetting where I was I ran from the counter and banged on the window whilst letting out a huge "F@@K OFF". Needles to say all the shoppers stopped to look at me and I was slightly embarrassed.
My bike is my Ferrari equivalent, I see a Ferrari sitting there I don't assume that it's ok to open up the drivers door to try it on for size.

Nelly:thumbup::thumbup:

PS I am really looking forward to the day my son can buy me a beer on Fathers Day.