What Tyres do you guys recommend for 2004 Yamaha Fazer 600 S.

JustinAce

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys.

My name is Justin, I've just joined the forum as i have recently purchased a Yamaha Fazer 600 S.

However being new to both the forum and the bike itself, i am unsure of what tyres i should get for my Fazer.

Could you guys recommend me some tyres?

Some pointers i may have that i want from my tyres,
- Long lasting
- I don't need a sports tyre as i don't corner crazy.
- Everyday use , good for both wet & dry condition - Stay in Singapore

Thank you very much!

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone likes different tires, but you're looking for something called "Sport Touring"

Popular choices include:

Michelin Pilot Road 4
Metzeler Roadtec 01
Bridgestone T30 Evo
Pirelli Angel GT

Continental also has one that's a bit cheaper, but I can't remember the name. Most people seem to prefer one of the four above. During the rainy season here, most people seem to love the PR4s, but there's a strong contingent that hate them, too.

Pick one, try it. All of them will give you way more grip than you need for sane road riding, even in the wet. Preference comes down to a personal choice and has a lot to do with how they feel on turn-in.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Pilot ROAD 2 or 3 or 4 whichever you can find for cheaper price..! High mileage, dual compound, utmost grip, full confidence on all road weather conditions.

JustinAce

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking at Michelin Pilot Road 3/4 tyres too!

However i was wondering why it was way way more expensive as compared to other tyres.

I dont do touring either.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking at Michelin Pilot Road 3/4 tyres too!

However i was wondering why it was way way more expensive as compared to other tyres.

I dont do touring either.

The 3 and 4's work better in the rain (more tiny grooves), however, with age and mileage, the more grooves you have, the MORE cupping you
have on the tire when getting worn... The PR2's don't have all those little grooves..

If you do a bunch of wet riding, I'd probably go with a 3 or 4.

With the dual compound, the center is harder (and for flat Florida-not so many curves), the tire lasts longer.
The 4 is supposed to be 20% harder.

Do a search on the Michelin site and compare.

And they do still make the PR2's, I called and their out there, just not as popular...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!
I use a Bridgestone BT-016 pro on front and and a Bridgestone T-30 Evo on the rear. Same profile and the combination works great as the wear factor of my rear is usually about twice as much as my front.
The warm up of the T-30 is a little longer than the BT-016 Pro but the tires work well even in aggressive riding.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!
I use a Bridgestone BT-016 pro on front and and a Bridgestone T-30 Evo on the rear. Same profile and the combination works great as the wear factor of my rear is usually about twice as much as my front.
The warm up of the T-30 is a little longer than the BT-016 Pro but the tires work well even in aggressive riding.

Cliff, how many miles do you normally get on the Bridgestones? Much cupping towards the end(of it's life)?

On my old FJR, when the ft OEM Bridgestone wore out, there was SERIOUS cupping, especially when rolling backwards(felt like a knobby).
Excessive squaring on the rear compared to the Michelines.. (023's as I re-call, same size as the FZ)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff, how many miles do you normally get on the Bridgestones? Much cupping towards the end(of it's life)?

On my old FJR, when the ft OEM Bridgestone wore out, there was SERIOUS cupping, especially when rolling backwards(felt like a knobby).
Excessive squaring on the rear compared to the Michelines.. (023's as I re-call, same size as the FZ)

I had terrible cupping on the front BT-021 tire my FZ6 came with from the factory but all the other Bridgestones were great. I think the BT-021 tread pattern lent itself to that anomaly as well as being a cheaper contract tire. I generally have run stickier tires (both BT-016) and the BT-016 pro with the T-30 on the rear give me about 6,000 mile per set. If I run a BT-016 Pro font and rear I'll get 4,000 miles from it. I never get cupping on the Bridgestones except on those very first ones.

Goop and I rode yesterday at higher elevations 5-6,000 ft. above sea level in the 50's and when I pushed it in the turns the combo stick really well.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Same same. About 6 to 8k mi. and no squaring or cupping. The front may feather the edges but thats it. That said the suspenion has been replaced and damping rates alter tire wear which I tend to throw tires away with center tread as the sides wear off first!
Current combo is front Dunlop Q3 (but love Brig BT-016 Pro up front) and rear is BT-023...
Next year the rear will be a Q3...

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I've run
-2 sets of PR2's - Outstanding longevity and performance.and good in the rain.

-Angel GT have about 5,000 miles on them. they are decent

The Next time I get tires I am going back to PR2 3 or 4. Nothing wrong with the Angel GT I just like the PR2's better now having a means to compare them.

JustinAce

Reaction score
Visit site
The 3 and 4's work better in the rain (more tiny grooves), however, with age and mileage, the more grooves you have, the MORE cupping you
have on the tire when getting worn... The PR2's don't have all those little grooves..

If you do a bunch of wet riding, I'd probably go with a 3 or 4.

With the dual compound, the center is harder (and for flat Florida-not so many curves), the tire lasts longer.
The 4 is supposed to be 20% harder.

Do a search on the Michelin site and compare.

And they do still make the PR2's, I called and their out there, just not as popular...

Hi bro, The shop that i called in singapore said that they stop making the PR2 for many years alrdy and told me to get the PR3 - PR 4

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi bro, The shop that i called in singapore said that they stop making the PR2 for many years alrdy and told me to get the PR3 - PR 4

That is a flat out lie.

I personally called Michelin and was told their still being made,( thus the link I posted).

Your shop doesn't have them in stock and apparently doesn't want to order them and sell what's in stock...

YOU can e-mail (don't think you want to call the US from Singapore) and get it in black and white for your dealer to read..

Michelin PILOT ROAD 2 Tires | Michelin USA From just now, from their site.

Type in your bikes info in the bike section and click on tires that fit. The PR2 IS ONE of the choices.
Here ya go, YOUR bike and the choices, the PR2 is second from the bottom.

Print it and bring it to your dealer:

2004 YAMAHA FZ6 Fazer tires | Michelin Tyre Selector

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While the PR2 is still being made, I would be concerned about the age of the tires available in the warehouse. Let your dealer know that you wont accept any tire that is older then 1 year from the date stamp. For tires that are currently in demand, I like to see less than 6 months of time form the date stamp.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Right now I'm running BT-023s as an experiment as I got them cheap. They don't feel as grippy to me as the T30 Evos, but they're wearing better.

Next set is going to be some S21s to see what they're like. I figure since my tire changes are always forced by punctures and not by wear, I should try some stickier, softer rubber.

Fawlty

Reaction score
Visit site
By coincidence tyres are up for discussion on a Spanish fz6 forum that I follow. Se attached chart.

Attachments

• Tyres.jpg
    Tyres.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 74

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While the PR2 is still being made, I would be concerned about the age of the tires available in the warehouse. Let your dealer know that you wont accept any tire that is older then 1 year from the date stamp. For tires that are currently in demand, I like to see less than 6 months of time form the date stamp.

Just ordered a PR2 rear, on-line.

I spoke with customer service, told them where I lived (as they have several warehouses). I told him I did NOT want
an old tire. He called the warehouse it would be shipping from (before I ordered) as they had 4 in stock.

The one I'm getting was MANUFACTURED IN 2017. Once it's here, (free shipping), I'll post the company and link.

BTW, I got about 10,000 miles out of my rear, PR3

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Justin,

Sporty tires like the Pilot Power have very grippy rubber but do not go as many miles.

Sport-touring tires like those listed by Zixaq are designed to give more miles while still having decent grip. (You do not have to go touring!) Most/many of these have dual compound designs where the center tread is harder and the parts just off center towards the sides use a softer compound. Michelins are expensive because they are in demand and that's mostly because they have great technology.

Then there are the cheaper tires that have fewer technology advances but some give reasonable performance and miles per tire. The ContiMotion is an example

I like the Michelin PR4s and have not had any problem with cupping. I am willing to pay the premium price for the performance and to get the extended life. I pay to have my tires changed so that tends to reduce the offset in cost.

I liked the Dunlop RoadSmart 2's, a sport-touring tire that the previous owner had on the bike, but the front tire cupped badly and squared off, though they handled very well and gave good mileage - otherwise. I hear the RoadSmart 3's are much improved, and are less than the PR4s.

Good Luck!

Chris

Dkobra

Reaction score
Visit site
I run with Metzeler road Tec z6, very happy with them! Got about 18k miles out of the rear before running over a razor blade. Still have the front z6, currently with about 20k on it.

Replaced the rear with a z8 but it seems to not hold up as well as the z6.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm now onto my 3rd PR4 on the front, replaced the previous two due to cuppig and the second on the rear due to nails and screws.

They will probably get me through th next 18 months But I'm going back to Metzler z8's. They arethe best tyre in my estimation for confident wet/dry grip and reasonablr good life.
I found the PR4 a lesser tyre but couldnt get Z8's when I needed them and have tried to keep the pairing (front/rear) going.