what would you do - 83 honda nighthawk

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Long-story short, a buddy/neighbor of mine ended up with a (free) 1983 Honda Nighthawk CB650SC. While he intended to keep/fiddle with, his spousal-unit vetoed that plan - which is where I come in. He offered it to me to 'fix up' or do anything (within reason) I wanted to. How to be honest, my spouse isn't too thrilled about the idea of me having it either - doesn't care for the first one - but also expressed concern that it would interfere with some other home-projects that I need to finish. That's a fair point. But after that, I see it as a way to learn more of the ins and outs of small-engine/mechanical stuff. For example, left-front caliper sticks and likely needs to be rebuilt. Carb def. needs some work. Bike sort-of runs, but has some issues in the lower RPM, but really scoots once aboue 3500k. I could futz in the garage during the winter, and practice/learn without imperiling my currently-well-functioning FZ6. But I suppose I could also do more than fix it up... could alter more significantly as well... e.g. a cafe or bobber style(ish)... but then I run the risk of really screwing up perfectly-good model-year bike (although the cluster is just awful). It could also be a bit of a money-pit too, and for what? I'll never really get much $ out of it.

So, given the same scenario - what would you do?

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I would just get it and put it in the garage and not ask for permission. My wife would eventually find out about it but probably would be cool about it anyway. for the amount of repairs it needs that doesn't sound terribly costly as your labor and learning is free. yeah you have to balance your to do list with your hobby but a balance means you find time and priority for both

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Clearly relationships are more important than objects but there is a healthy balance where the object gives back something a relationship doesn't. We all need to be ok with alone time and others need to respect that no matter what that journey may entail, there may in fact be divends they didn't anticipate. That said a balanced relationship will allow both to achieve goals to foster their individual well being.

What you dream up is up to you. Usually it is not about the money but a poor perception of how you spend your time. What a spouse/significant other may not realize is you come in beaming of joy at success will grow both of you inspite of the fact that you are not by their side as often as they want.

Make it a positive experience for both of you! Im not saying hide things but if something doesn't go to plan (working on bike) don't let it get you down and refrain from sharing perceived stress as in be happy no matter the outcome and meet those other goals too. Show her you can manage it all and shine while doing it...

Have fun and good luck no matter what path you choose.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Those bikes were pretty much bullet proof. A good running, original 83 is not junk. Start hacking it up, it's junk (IMO) and looses value...

Being carbed, the jets will be clogged up, so you will learn at least about the lower end of the carb, float, clogged, jets, etc.
(generally inexpensive, just time consuming. I dare guarantee the low speed crappy running is clogged, low speed clogged jets,
or rotted rubber intake boots. (Both cheap and relatively easy fixes)

The brake caliper as I recall is a single piston, even easier to rebuild than the S1.

I personally would snag it.

Promise your other half you'll only be working on it when other projects are done or allot say 1/2 hour a day..

Last edited:

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It runs - much better than it did before. So far I've

- replaced the plugs,
- cleaned the carb,
- and then took it it back out and rebuilt with all new jets/springs/o-rings.
- have oil/filter ready to change
- have seal kit/rings to rebuild front caliper
- throttle cable sticks a little, needs lubing at minimum,
- clutch cable needs adjusting, no play at all...

but was good enough to take out on the street just to see, and she's pretty peppy. Still runs a little rough, an occasional miss or "chuff" - not sure if that clears up with running, or older gas (should probably dump it), or just needs to burn some stuff off, or something off with ignition... My neighbor's garage is heated, been awesome to work in. So far it's been a great experience, and whatever I do, I'm not endangering my FZ. Wife not making too much noise, but then it's not in _my_ garage. Once the weather warms, gotta finish the honey-do projects, but that is 3-5 wknds max. This is working out pretty well so far!

KB2WYL

CQ CQ, DE KB2WYL
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny...I had an '84 CB700SC. Fixed it up for a total of $400 ($350 for remanufactured carbs), and 50$, and a lot of late nights. Sold it when i got the FZ6, because I didn't want to go down the path of having too much stuff/too little time (like I don't already do that :rolleyes:). To this day my wife still says "I think you should have kept "Lady"". No restrictions on that motor. 0-100 was a hoot indeed. But it was a kid who bought it, and an elder who sold it to me, so I look back on it thankful that I: got to be a part of the chain, and that it had the chance to run/look like new at least one more time in it's 30+year life :)

Loren C.
KB2WYL
'07 FZ6. Dual headlight mod, Preload caps on the fork tubes, Racetech fork springs, Airbox mod, AIS block off, K&N filter, De-cat mid-pipe, OEM muffler gutted completely hollow with dual 2" exits, Stock header cut in half, cat's removed and welded back together, 15T front sprocket, Speedo healer, PCFC fuel control, Modified rearsets hard mounted, on/off switch solder disable, more to come!

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny...I had an '84 CB700SC. Fixed it up for a total of $400 ($350 for remanufactured carbs), and 50$, and a lot of late nights. Sold it when i got the FZ6, because I didn't want to go down the path of having too much stuff/too little time (like I don't already do that :rolleyes:). To this day my wife still says "I think you should have kept "Lady"". No restrictions on that motor. 0-100 was a hoot indeed. But it was a kid who bought it, and an elder who sold it to me, so I look back on it thankful that I: got to be a part of the chain, and that it had the chance to run/look like new at least one more time in it's 30+year life :)

Loren C.
KB2WYL
'07 FZ6. Dual headlight mod, Preload caps on the fork tubes, Racetech fork springs, Airbox mod, AIS block off, K&N filter, De-cat mid-pipe, OEM muffler gutted completely hollow with dual 2" exits, Stock header cut in half, cat's removed and welded back together, 15T front sprocket, Speedo healer, PCFC fuel control, Modified rearsets hard mounted, on/off switch solder disable, more to come!

Awesome, thank you for that. I'm not $400 in (yet), but I _am_ keeping track. Just got some replacement ignition coils re: ebay, will be putting at least one in this wknd. Current thinking is that the right-side has an issue. We had 70+F degrees the other weekend and I ran it through a bucket of suds, it is in really good shape for its' age. I have no idea what will happen to it, but it's been a great learning tool so far.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To close this thread out - bike is sold! To a young kid, does not currently have his license but his buddies ride. He is scheduled to take the PA MSF, so that's good, and doesn't seem like a hooligan-to-be. In the end, got it running quite well. Smoked a little, most likely piston rings, but was more than I wanted to tackle. Just over $400 in (and having to replace the starter was my fault). Starts every time right away, and lots of low/mid torque, maybe better than the FZ (until it gets its' revs up of course). Ended up being a non-issue with my spousal-unit, which is great (b/c I have my eye on another old fixxer-upper, a 70's xs650). Know way more than I did, and more willing than ever to tackle things. But I think I want a bigger garage ;) and maybe heated for the winter. Sigh...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ended up being a non-issue with my spousal-unit, which is great (b/c I have my eye on another old fixxer-upper, a 70's xs650)...

I had a red 1980 XS 650 special. Great bike, very dependable. Engine was jetted on the lean side..

Sold it with about 32,000 miles on it.The only real issue was the swingarm bushings(not bearings) wore out (easily fixed)..