What's the most amount of fuel you've ever put in?

What's the most amount of fuel you've ever put in?

• 15.14L (4US gal) or less

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • 17L (4.5US gal)

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • 18L (4.75)

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • 19L (5US gal)

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Limit? Is there a limit? (19L/5US gal+)

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day Guys and Gals,
I use Fuelly to track my fuel economy and usage and was just looking over my figures.

Now, I know the tank is said, by Yamaha, to be a 19.4L (5.12US gal) tank, but my last fill, for one example, was 19.58L (5.17US gal).

As I refuel on the centre stand, and a previous experiment where I fueled up on the side stand, and then put it up on the centre stand shows there is about .55L (0.15US gal) extra capacity available refuelling that way, that puts the tank at a theoretical 19.95L (5.27US gal) capacity.

So, my question is 'What is the maximum fuel you've ever put in your bike?'

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. Open to discussions, but as verified by Yamaha in an email, there is apparently no concern running your tank fairly low - the fuel pump apparently does not overheat and thus, is not subject to premature failure due to low tank volume.

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The most at any single fill up was 16.41 ltres so i voted it in the 17 litre slot

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i don't think i have ever put more than 4 gallons in, i might carry a mason jar full of fuel and see how long i can go after the F-Trip starts because evidently i am not close to running out. and i fill until it touches the fill hole!

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i don't think i have ever put more than 4 gallons in, i might carry a mason jar full of fuel and see how long i can go after the F-Trip starts because evidently i am not close to running out. and i fill until it touches the fill hole!

Reserve has been said by many, including me, to be good for 60kms guaranteed (38mi).

I fill past the 'filler hole' and about half an inch below the cap seal. You're good for another pint (US Liq) before being truly full.

Be aware though, Yamaha recommends 19.4L to allow room for the fuel to expand due to heat - though I've never had it seep out the overflow - yet.

Cheers,
Rick

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I was JUST thinking about posting this, as it is a better indication of range than, ironically, range. 4.278 on side stand, filled until gas just rises above the lower side of the fill neck collar.

Looks like I can jam a bit more in there. Was is really hot? Wonder how much extra capacity ther is on a tank that's 100F?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked the 5gal. I ran my reserve to 42 miles, didnt really want to push it any further OR to a gas station:BLAA:

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode 26miles on the "F" trip then got 4.6gal. I fill the tank while on the bike so its pretty much straight up and fill till gas is just touching the....um....lower fill hole thingy. Ya know the lil disk under the fuel cap that has a hole in it just big enough for the gas nozzle to fit through LOL no way of saying that without sounding like a girl at an autoparts store :cheer: Whatever you all know what I mean.

Gas expansion question:
If you're fueling up for a long trip is it really an issue? By the time the fuel has warmed enough to have significant volumetric increase, you should have ridden enough miles to make room for it...right?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've filled my bike to about 3/4 the way up that internal filler neck and haven't had any expansion pushing and out the overflow drain pipes.

You need to remember that on a hot day, the fuel you put in the tank is also at an elevated temperature, so riding immediately really isn't an issue.

42miles on reserve is 67.5kms - and when I've run my bike to 60kms on reserve, I always have a bit left - but due to potential changing conditions like headwind etc - I specify 60kms on reserve as my maximum.

As for capacity at temperature - when I was filling my, then new (to me), bike it was 35°C - 40°C (95°F - 105°F) and it still filled over 19L.

Cheers,
Rick

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
but my last fill, for one example, was 19.58L (5.17US gal).

Just outta curiosity , hpw many K's to the 19.58L ??? Most I ever put in was 18.34L so I voted for 19 :thumbup:

You already knew this from the post in another thread but im curious to see if you have cracked the 400k range :D

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The throttle bodies were (allegedly) synched during this tank, so only 324kms - and as reported, my economy is on the slow, gentle decline.

Cheers,
Rick

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put in 18.5L as the max fill. I only got 23 miles or reserve two up at 60mph.

Nelly:thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
F-Trip for 38 miles. 4.65 Gallons

A great time to be squid an do Wheelies! :spank:

BanOne

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought my fz6 last week ran the reserve to 48 miles before it sputtered and died in the walmart parking lot, pushed to gas station and put in 4.9 gal just touching the metal filler in the tank. I have had it come out the overflow in a Kawasaki I owned but I live in Florida, I filled up on the way to work just past the filler metal and when I cam out in the afternoon there was a wet spot, so either the bike got excited to seem me or the heat caused an overflow.

Doug