What's the most amount of fuel you've ever put in?

What's the most amount of fuel you've ever put in?

• 15.14L (4US gal) or less

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • 17L (4.5US gal)

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • 18L (4.75)

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • 19L (5US gal)

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Limit? Is there a limit? (19L/5US gal+)

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
You need to remember that on a hot day, the fuel you put in the tank is also at an elevated temperature, so riding immediately really isn't an issue.

This is incorrect. The fuel you put in your bike is much, much cooler than summer ambient temperatures as it is stored underground. Actually, a fresh new tank of gas between the legs is a welcomed feeling on a blistering hot day!

I don't know what the thermal expansion numbers are on gasoline, but it wouldn't be too hard to get and calculate. My guess is that we're not talking about a lot.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is incorrect. The fuel you put in your bike is much, much cooler than summer ambient temperatures as it is stored underground. Actually, a fresh new tank of gas between the legs is a welcomed feeling on a blistering hot day!

I don't know what the thermal expansion numbers are on gasoline, but it wouldn't be too hard to get and calculate. My guess is that we're not talking about a lot.

Yes and no Pook, yes it's stored underground, and yes it's cooler than ambient - but not by as much as you'd think. (as I said, elevated temperature, as opposed to 'the same as ambient')

The tanks sit under a cement slab, that also heats up. Have a look at your local servo and see the vent pipes right over on the edge of the servo, which allow for expansion. (usually a few meters high with a butterfly valve.)

Maybe it's different where you come from, but I always try to fuel up in the morning or very late at night so I get more fuel.

Cheers,
Rick

Edit: After a quick back of the envelope calculation, the volumetric expansion of a full tank of fuel, 19.4L, is approximately 0.552L or 552mL from 10*C to 40*C which means if you fuel up in the middle of the day, you'd need to put 19.952L in for the same amount of energy as 19.4L in the morning.

Last edited:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes and no Pook.

We're both right... we're just talking about different topics. You're talking about the economics. I was referring to the "overflow-ability" of a highly topped off tank. Assuming a considerable temperature delta between the big tank underground, and the little tank on top of the vroom machine, I could see the potential for the overflow tubes being used.

Again, it would have to be cool underneath, HOT on top, really topped off, and not ridden very far, then sat in the sun.

FYI- snopes did a good job on the economics of filling methods.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice read Pook, and it confirms a lot of what I was saying.

I heard that pumps in the States had temperature gauges?

Maybe no automatic volumetric compensation, but at least it'd let you know at what temperature the fuel you're pumping is.

Cheers,
Rick

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
note to self: install speedo/fuel gauge

7556227080_3720f324c3_z.jpg

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey how well does the monster can work for storing fuel? That looks cost effective.

Sent from my commodore 64 via tapatalk

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey how well does the monster can work for storing fuel? That looks cost effective.

Sent from my commodore 64 via tapatalk

its only for emergencies, doesn't seal right (no o-ring).. that being said, i'll bring 2 of them filled when i go on mountain rides because my mileage seems to drop in the twisties :rolleyes: