Where does this wire belong?

urbock

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys!

I need a little help. Last year, I completely disassembled the front of my 2008 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer because it was wrecked and I was thinking about a Naked conversion.

Well, I decided against the Naked conversion and repaired the fairing instead.
But there is this one wire hanging loose and I have no idea where to plug it in :D

Does anybody know where to plug it in?

As you may see on the picture, it is connected to the right headlight.

Thanks in advance for help!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What is the color of the wire? Looks black but does it have a stripe color?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am pretty sure that it's just black.

That will be a ground wire. It looks like one of the head lamp ground lugs but I think they are right angle flag connectors. If the headlamp plugs have their black wires then it may be a ground wire to something else. It may have been to a lug on the fairing stay or the frame?

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't look like any of the factory wiring from my 2005.

It looks to be something from an dual headlight mod. Based on the length of wire I am guessing it would be the style that connects the left headlight to the right headlight (again this is a modification from factory operation) is such a way that both headlights are on during low beam operation. However, this form of the dual headlight modification is not advised as it operates both filaments on one of the headlights during hi beam operation. This can cause excessive heat and causes some additional stress on the electrical system of the bike. There are better ways of doing the dual headlight modification if that is something your interested in. Lots of threads about it.

With the wire disconnected like it is in your hand, what is the operation of the headlights? Factory wiring is only one light on low beam (I do not remember if it is the left or right) and both on during hi beam operation.

Edit: The bike must be started before the headlights will illuminate.

Last edited:

urbock

Reaction score
Visit site
That will be a ground wire. It looks like one of the head lamp ground lugs but I think they are right angle flag connectors. If the headlamp plugs have their black wires then it may be a ground wire to something else. It may have been to a lug on the fairing stay or the frame?

I also thought about it being a ground wire and searched for a plug on the frame to plug it in, but I wasn't able to find one.
Maybe the fairing stay is a good call, I will have a look there. Thanks!

urbock

Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't look like any of the factory wiring from my 2005.

It looks to be something from an dual headlight mod. Based on the length of wire I am guessing it would be the style that connects the left headlight to the right headlight (again this is a modification from factory operation) is such a way that both headlights are on during low beam operation. However, this form of the dual headlight modification is not advised as it operates both filaments on one of the headlights during hi beam operation. This can cause excessive heat and causes some additional stress on the electrical system of the bike. There are better ways of doing the dual headlight modification if that is something your interested in. Lots of threads about it.

With the wire disconnected like it is in your hand, what is the operation of the headlights? Factory wiring is only one light on low beam (I do not remember if it is the left or right) and both on during hi beam operation.

Edit: The bike must be started before the headlights will illuminate.

Interesting thoughts. When I bought the bike from a retired man, he didn't mention anything about such a modification.

As of now, only one of the headlights is on during low beam & both on high beam.

The only "electrical issue" I noticed is that the green "N" light at the odometer stays on when I put in the first gear until I drive off.
Not sure if this finding is connected to the loose wire but I thought I mention it :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As of now, only one of the headlights is on during low beam & both on high beam.

The only "electrical issue" I noticed is that the green "N" light at the odometer stays on when I put in the first gear until I drive off.
Not sure if this finding is connected to the loose wire but I thought I mention it :)

As you posted above (bolded) is the stock set up.

The headlight (or any other part) on the throttle side, is considered the RIGHT SIDE. Low beam is the left side, right side is High Beam only(with No mods)

As posted above, it sounds like hacked dual headlight mod.

If you have a 12 volt test light, simply ground the test light to the frame, start the bike, and see if that questionable wire lights up when on low beam(the dual headlight mod).

Re the neutral light, part #7, the neutral safety switch is located on the rear of the engine with one wire to it. It's more on the right side and simply completes the ground when in neutral;

2007 Yamaha FZ6 (FZS6W) Electrical 1 | Babbitts Online

It completes the ground when the transmission is in neutral. They do go bad occassionally. I would clean the contacts where the switch plugs first, make sure the connector is tight.

Last edited:

urbock

Reaction score
Visit site
As you posted above (bolded) is the stock set up.

The headlight (or any other part) on the throttle side, is considered the RIGHT SIDE. Low beam is the left side, right side is High Beam only(with No mods)

As posted above, it sounds like hacked dual headlight mod.

If you have a 12 volt test light, simply ground the test light to the frame, start the bike, and see if that questionable wire lights up when on low beam(the dual headlight mod).

Re the neutral light, part #7, the neutral safety switch is located on the rear of the engine with one wire to it. It's more on the right side and simply completes the ground when in neutral;

2007 Yamaha FZ6 (FZS6W) Electrical 1 | Babbitts Online

It completes the ground when the transmission is in neutral. They do go bad occassionally. I would clean the contacts where the switch plugs first, make sure the connector is tight.

Thank you for your answer!

I just checked some old pictures of my bike and there are both headlights on.
So the extra wire should be for the dual mod.

hopefully I will get the neutral switch working again :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted in post #5, IF its installed correctly, for the right side bulb, ONLY ONE FILIMENT is ON at a time.

If the right bulb has both the LB and HB filiment on at the same time, not good.

The BD43 mod actually plugs into the factory harness. **When the HB is turned on, the RIGHT SIDE LOW BEAM turns off-

If not, it'll be going thru bulbs, excess heat inside the headlight and approx 2x the electrical draw.

I don't have the directions for the BD43 kit/ connector it would plug into but he used a factory style pin that plugged into the bike with NO mods. On the right bulb, only one filiment was on at a time..

Very, very professional kit BTW..

**NOTE, this is the way the US bikes are set up. I'm assuming the light set up is the same for other countries. A two wire headlight connector would be the factory LOW BEAM HEADLIGHT

Last edited: