Where to find fairing screw kit

symtex

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 06 and looking to replace some fairing screws and I have been unsuccessful at finding a kit. (I did find an aluminum one on Amazon) Anyone have a source for a decently priced screw kit?

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought from pro-bolt in the past, and I would agree they are not cheap. I would also clarify what you are getting before buying because the pictures are not necessarily representative, which is what upset me. Good luck

I'd highly recommend Titanium, Stainless Steel, Aluminium Fasteners & Motorcycle Bolts | ProBolt for a kit; I've had a few spares from them before, not always the cheapest but the quality is excellent. The only other kits I've come across are those on eBay from China, which look dubious at best!

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
What's wrong with ordering OEM as you need them? They're not much, normally $1-3 a screw and your bike doesn't look like it's been rebuilt by a hack.

symtex

Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing wrong with OEM. Just wanted to find an online source that others may have used.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
What's wrong with ordering OEM as you need them? They're not much, normally $1-3 a screw and your bike doesn't look like it's been rebuilt by a hack.
The OEM allen-head bolts are junk. Made of cheap metal that is NOT durable! They round off after a couple of uses and can't be taken off without vice-grips etc. I replaced mine after this happened on the parts I commonly remove such as the pods under the seat with decent stainless steel ones. I spray-painted them black where they were in view.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
The OEM allen-head bolts are junk. Made of cheap metal that is NOT durable! They round off after a couple of uses and can't be taken off without vice-grips etc. I replaced mine after this happened on the parts I commonly remove such as the pods under the seat with decent stainless steel ones. I spray-painted them black where they were in view.

If you're rounding them off, I don't think it's the bolts' that are the issue, they shouldn't be torqued too much in the first place. I've had my front end apart dozens of times over the years and have never rounded a bolt.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're rounding them off, I don't think it's the bolts' that are the issue, they shouldn't be torqued too much in the first place. I've had my front end apart dozens of times over the years and have never rounded a bolt.

^^ +1
Perhaps time for some new tools! That said, It does seem of the fasteners are just a tad oversized and with a worn tool I can see it getting the better of some fasteners....

boats.net has a good parts fiche.
McMaster-Carr is another site once you know what size (not OEM, but lots of SS fasteners...

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
It's the stock allen-head bolts that are the problem. Not my tools. They weren't even that torqued on mostly. I had problems with them using allen keys and hex bits. Loads rounded out and I had to use vice-grips or cut a slit with my dremel and use a flat-head screwdriver to get them off. After I replaced them with stainless steel I haven't had any problems and I must have taken some of them off 30-50 times since!

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
been needing a replacement or two, myself. until then i used a couple of zip ties on my front faring, lower bolt holes. work like a charm, very secure, and the black / red ties look fine with the bike tbh. blends right in for a quick fix

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
been needing a replacement or two, myself. until then i used a couple of zip ties on my front faring, lower bolt holes. work like a charm, very secure, and the black / red ties look fine with the bike tbh. blends right in for a quick fix
LOL. Very redneck! Blah

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
in that case rednecks must be some ingenious folks because it really does work well. "stands out" less than some silver colored bolt cap, too

too bad i don't have any rednecks nearby i'd ride over to the mobile home park (upgrade from the years gone by trailer park) and get some 'props and drink some Pabst!

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
it really doesn't look even that bad, though. its just a super closeup and i didn't bother to put the "lock" side of the tie behind the faring. but perhaps i will cut it and do so, and maybe change to a red zip tie, too? and idk why the "hole" looks icky, but its not, really. if you can imagine taking a "step back" and looking at the bike on a whole, that little bit of black with all that inner faring, black frame, components, engine, and hoses? heck, think i'll get me some black bolts, anyway!! or paint 'em before i screw 'em in :)

for my level of skill and experience this is heavy duty customization!

20140907_164723.jpg

Last edited: