Where's the dot?

jczlsr

Reaction score
Visit site
Just received a set of Michelin PR2 and plan on mounting them myself. When checking for the tire dot that marks the light side of the tire to line up with the valve stem, there was none. I checked the Michelin specs for the tire and found out they do not place a dot marking on the tire for this purpose. All the Bridgestone tires I've had in the past have had the dot. So is this marking for the light side of the tire really that important? I plan on using tire balancing beads and just hope they are able to make the balance correction.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know anything about the dot, but if you haven't yet bought the "balancing beads", save your money; they don't work.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know anything about the dot, but if you haven't yet bought the "balancing beads", save your money; they don't work.

Also, in the fine print - they void most tire manufactures warranties!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As you've learned, not all manufacturers mark the lightest spot of the tire. Is it important? Not at all. It *may* mean that you'll end up with more weights on the wheel to get it balanced, but not always.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
And if you feel you need to put too much weight on it to balanace it, you can always rotate the tire some and see if that helps.

jczlsr

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the beads have already been bought. At the time I ordered them, I just thought this would be an easier way to balance the tires. I've read both good and bad comments about the beads so I plan on giving them a try to see for myself.

Right now, there are no wheel weights on the rims. I bought the FZ6 new and they were never there. Seemed to drive smooth enough and never had any wheel vibration so I never was too concerned. The back tire just wore smooth and the front just cupped.