which budget chain?

xyy81t

Reaction score
Visit site
I need to replace my chain as mine has stretched too much. my budget is £40ish which of the following would be better or are they pretty much the same?

DID chain

RK chain

which would you buy? or suggest alternatives in the same price range - only used for commute and weekend blasts but i do like to accelerate as fast as the bike will go on occasion :D

TA

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You do know at least the DID chain is NOT an O-ring chain correct? The RK doesn't say..

There will be more maintainance without the O-rings.

If I had to choose of those two, my personal preference is DID...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You should be fine with that chain. It is a RIVIT master link (usual) so you'll either need a tool or borrow one.

Also that chain comes with 120 links so you'll need to remove links to make it 118 IIRK for the FZ6. :) If you need to by a chain/Rivet tool Cycle Gear usually has the tool on sale for $39.99 STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY - Chain Breaker and Rivet Tool Kit - Multi-Tools - Tools - Accessories - Cycle Gear

Also there are lots of videos on Youtube. Some better than others, on chain breaking and riveting. As far as those clip type links, I don't recommend them. I like to rivet the main link. Use caution when installing the link that you don't compress the link plate so hard that you crush and bind the "O" rings causing damage to the "O" rings and stiffening the link. I use molybdenum grease for that final link. Same with the rivet process.... Common sense and patience.....It doesn't take too much to expand that rivet post. :)

I run RK on the SV

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also that chain comes with 120 links so you'll need to remove links to make it 118 IIRK for the FZ6. :) If you need to by a chain/Rivet tool Cycle Gear usually has the tool on sale for $39.99 STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY - Chain Breaker and Rivet Tool Kit - Multi-Tools - Tools - Accessories - Cycle Gear

Also there are lots of videos on Youtube. Some better than others, on chain breaking and riveting. As far as those clip type links, I don't recommend them. I like to rivet the main link. Use caution when installing the link that you don't compress the link plate so hard that you crush and bind the "O" rings causing damage to the "O" rings and stiffening the link. I use molybdenum grease for that final link. Same with the rivet process.... Common sense and patience.....It doesn't take too much to expand that rivet post. :)

I run RK on the SV

Not that it'll happen here ($ being a major object), but the DID tool ($80-$100.00) I bought; ( Access Denied ) you CANNOT overtighten the master link.

It was the first chain tool I ever used and snuck up on it as I installed making sure NOT to go too tight. Turned out I could tighten it down FULLY and it was dead smack in the middle of spec's (fool proof)..

I just used a cut off wheel (air powered) to remove the old chain and shorten the new one by grinding the head off a link.

Just an FYI for the tool fanatic... :thumbup:

Last edited:

xyy81t

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you, I have ordered the RK chain for the R1 and already have a breaker/riveter tool on the way so I should be good to go when they arrive :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you, I have ordered the RK chain for the R1 and already have a breaker/riveter tool on the way so I should be good to go when they arrive :)

Just pay close attention and take your time when riviting. It should come with a little packet of grease for the master ling o-rings to0.

You DON'T want to over tighten it (follow the instructions) or you get to grind it off and get a "DO OVER!" :thumbup:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just pay close attention and take your time when riviting. It should come with a little packet of grease for the master ling o-rings to0.

You DON'T want to over tighten it (follow the instructions) or you get to grind it off and get a "DO OVER!" :thumbup:

Haha, true story! The first matter link I pressed to tight AND forgot to grease the o-rings......it didn't last long and I was back to square one with a new link. Second time around I took my time and did it right. You'd be surprised at how little of a mushroom on the rivets it takes to hold the link plate on. I used the Stockton tool, couldn't pass it up when it was on sale for 20 bucks.

Last edited:

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree re the false economy opinion. I also though about an upgrade chain from DID. in the end the OEM chain was actually cheapest and made incidentally by DID for Yam.
I'm sure other voices here will also mention that if your chain has stretched it will have worn the sprockets. It is not good practice to put new chain on old sprockets as they will rapidly wear the new chain out.

Better to save the pennies and get the full kit.

xyy81t

Reaction score
Visit site
The chain arrived today, I didn't realise they were so heavy and stiff! :eek: it came with two rivet links so i'll have a back up if I screw up the first attempt, just waiting on the tool now :)