Question Whining noise after changing chain and sprockets - normal?

niallmul

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi. I did a service on my FZ6 S2 in December, changed oil and filters and replaced chain and sprockets. Since then I've noticed a humming/whining noise once I reach ~50kph, which increases in frequency as speed increases until I can no longer hear it over wind and engine noise after about 100kph.

During the time since then I tightened the chain and it got louder, so immediately backed it off again and it reduced the noise but persistently still there. It remains when the clutch is in or out - no difference there.

My first thought was wheel bearings but when I took off the rear wheel they are all turning smoothly with no issues.

However this week I took off the sprocket cover, and looking at the front sprocket I noticed these grooves around the rubber part where the chain is biting into it. I can't remember for the life of me whether these grooves were in it originally, or whether this could be producing the noise. Is this normal wear on a front sprocket? Or is it normal to have the edges of the chain making contact with the sprocket like this? Maybe I'm just being too paranoid altogether and it's a normal noise!

It's a JT sprocket and D.I.D chain. Not sure whether it was OEM sprocket previously, I've since thrown it away. But it definitely wasn't a DID chain previously. Would appreciate any tips on the state of the front sprocket, just to put my mind at ease. And I can post a video of the whining noise later.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20240219_185901.jpg
    IMG_20240219_185901.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Yamaha stock sprocket has that plastic lip.

Yours seems to have some slight wear
but isn't making the whine your hearing.

The chain MUST be adjusted (which seems loose) at 2" total up and down, at
it's tightest spot. Measured at the lower swingarm guard (On the center stand)

I've found 1.75" WILL WHINE.. Much looser than 2" you'll get some "lag".

Clean sprockets and a well lubed chain also helps.

Loosen it up..

niallmul

Reaction score
Visit site
Strange that it has wear like this since it has only done ~1000km since the change.

Hmmm I thought I had loosened it as far as 2" (50mm) but maybe I have been measuring from the wrong point.

I've found 1.75" WILL WHINE.. Much looser than 2" you'll get some "lag".

Interesting that this is the case, since 1.75" is still within the guidelines of the shop manual for chain slack. Was just not used to having it previously that I was quite concerned I had done something wrong while replacing it! I'll loosen it up this evening and let you know if it persists. Cheers!

niallmul

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've loosened off the chain to 2" as suggested and still whining as I get up to speed. Back to square one!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't respond to this thread earlier because I was sure that Scott nailed the answer with the chain slack suggestion.

I note that you are using a JT JTF580-16RB drive sprocket. That sprocket is a rubber cushioned sprocket and from the photo it would appear that the chain is riding on the rubber isolator. I believe that is the source of the noise. If it is - hopefully it all wears in before it all wears out :)

Sprocket.jpg

niallmul

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, that's what I was getting at with the original post, maybe I just worded it poorly.

I think you might be right, but would I be wrong in assuming then that this shouldn't have a negative effect on the chain/sprocket and I'm just being paranoid that it's doing damage?