Why wait for the bike to boot up?

haros

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always been told to wait a few seconds for the revs to reset after you turn the key before starting a bike. Always wondered what this actually does as I've never experienced any issues on the odd occasion I forget and immediately start it... Anyone know?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One reason is during that period there is a system self check and fuel system prime to make sure the fuel line pressure is up. Your ECU may poll the system sensors to see what the engine temperature and the altitude you're at that makes a difference in the initial fuel injector solution from the ECU. Why not allow the ECU poll and system self check along with proper fuel system pressure for start up?
If it's an emergency crank and go! Otherwise....:)

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One reason is during that period there is a system self check and fuel system prime to make sure the fuel line pressure is up. Your ECU may poll the system sensors to see what the engine temperature and the altitude you're at that makes a difference in the initial fuel injector solution from the ECU. Why not allow the ECU poll and system self check along with proper fuel system pressure for start up?
If it's an emergency crank and go! Otherwise....:)

Sent from Moto's Motorola

For kicks; do you allow your cage(s) this luxury? Haha!

I've done both plenty of times and it doesn't "appear" to change a thing but we can't see at system level so everything stated above may have some truth and may in fact be in play!

I will say that because it allows it to start it has ran through the "safety check poll" of the sensors and very likey all of the others too! Who knows what processor they used or how long it takes it to complete its diagnostics checklist but venture to guess the S2 tach needle takes longer to retun home than diag test loop takes... JM2C...

That said after sitting in the sun for months w/out being ran (example), i bet the fuel system does need to prime to obtain a quick start!

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the manual suggests it just to prime the fuel system.
Got in the habit and now its just "what I do" like right boot first and keys in a designated pocket
as far as the car- key in, turn,start 'n' go- I'm hearing you Randy, no consistency there!

bpchura

Reaction score
Visit site
I personally have tired to crank it right when the key is turned. It took an extra second or two just because the fuel pump wasn't able to prime completely. Why not just wait the extra three seconds is what I figure.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For kicks; do you allow your cage(s) this luxury? Haha!

I've done both plenty of times and it doesn't "appear" to change a thing but we can't see at system level so everything stated above may have some truth and may in fact be in play!

I will say that because it allows it to start it has ran through the "safety check poll" of the sensors and very likey all of the others too! Who knows what processor they used or how long it takes it to complete its diagnostics checklist but venture to guess the S2 tach needle takes longer to retun home than diag test loop takes... JM2C...

That said after sitting in the sun for months w/out being ran (example), i bet the fuel system does need to prime to obtain a quick start!

Actually I do allow my cages a few second. I do not just crank....Unless I have to boogie out very quickly which is rare.

YamahaKid98

Reaction score
Visit site
Does waiting an extra 3 seconds ruin your day? It's like waiting for anything to boot up. Takes just a few seconds to ensure all is correct and your off.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just saying in my quest to understand how the bikes electronics work I've tested at a consumer level to see where it draws the line (it doesn't). If warm and riding that day it doesn't hesitate and fires off while holding start button in something less than two seconds. If sitting for weeks i let the pump prime.