Why/when get a big bike?

thethendi

Reaction score
Visit site
Like, at what point does someone decide that they're ready for a big bike? Do a lot of people who have bikes like Busas or ZX-14s trade up from 600s? Or are they longtime 1000 riders who just want more power? (Although I couldn't see why you would need more power than what's in some kind of 1000 supersport....)

Not that I would ever get one of those...they're fugly imo.

W

wrightme43

I dont know. All the busa riders I know (3) dont lean the bikes much, ride without gear, and have huge egos.

Or the old aerostich motto.
Big Bike Little D*ck

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Most people just get what they want, they don't follow logical rules or anything like that.

99% of people can't outride a 600cc sportbike, let alone a 1000cc, ESPECIALLY on the streets. The place for that is the track, and even there it takes much skill and practice(read: years) before your bike starts getting even close limiting you.

It may be easier to ride on the street with an engine with more torque, and that may factor into some 1000cc riders, but the people that get bigger bikes, get the mostly because they personally just want them.

That's the way I take it at least

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
Hayabusas and ZX-14s are made to go in a straight line really fast.
Made to be aerodynamic, not pretty.:(

600cc bikes are made to go, stop and turn well.

You only want a big bike if you want to go 180-200 MPH.

Last edited:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just don't see myself on a big bike. If I wanted comfort, I'd drive my truck. If I want to hug the turns, I'll take the bike. (and sometimes the truck :D)

wayne 3

Reaction score
Visit site
my buddy i ride with all the time has a busa. he never wears a helmet and i have seen him ride many times in sandals and shorts. the weird thing is hes not a ****y jerk or anything. just doesnt care i guess. i always atleast wear a helmet and gloves

rockmurf

Reaction score
Visit site
People ride what they want. There is no "need" in the purchase of a bike. It is all "want". It then gets broken down to rationalize the purchase. I used to buy and sell bikes every 6 months or so until I got my fjr1300 2006 and then a couple months later an fz6 2004 and I have them still. They fill all the llittle "needs" we imagine to buy another bike. The fjr for power, comfort, long range, and storage ability, the fz6 is a more limited range fun, throw around bike. So when I don't want to lug the fjr out I take the fz6 and have a blast and still get 50 mpg. Don't spend alot of time figuring it out just ride.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont know. All the busa riders I know (3) dont lean the bikes much, ride without gear, and have huge egos.

Or the old aerostich motto.
Big Bike Little D*ck

That pretty much sums it up.....:squid: I've been riding on and off for 10years and never had a need for anything much more than a 600 and as the years go on the 600's get faster and faster as well. I have two buddies one with Busa another with ZX-14 and they both pretty much fit wrightme's description to a T. If I was going to do a lot of touring and wanted a sport bike I might consider a Busa but there are better options for that as well. I have ridden both bikes and they are just way overkill, I mean I am as big an adrenaline junky as anyone but both those bikes have "To Much Power" for the street and ride like tanks in corners. When I meet up with them and we ride anything other than the highway it is easy to leave them in the dust even on the FZ. I might upgrade to a 1000 at some point but nothing bigger for me. To each his own but that's my 2 cents.

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
I consider the FZ6 a starter bike for me. The initial cost & insurance were lower, and it has been great to start the learning curve.

Why would I consider an upgrade? I love the nimble sport aspect, but would like more cargo capability & long distance comfort, particularly when 2 up (not that any of this is unacheivable on the FZ6!). Would I upgrade to a busa or the like (even an FZ1)? No way. The only thing that piques my upgrade interest would be an FJR.

W

wrightme43

Seconding the FJR or ST1300 for sure.
Also of course the VFR, and the Duc 848.

S

sportrider

I don't know about the current bikes, but in the old days a bigger displacement motor generally lasted longer then the smaller bore models. I know that as a daily commuter my tach on the R1 is at 5-5500 rpm most of the time, on my FZ6 to achieve the same speed the tach was closer to 8000rpm.
when I traded in my FZ6 I had considered going the FZ1 route, they had a nice raven with the gold forks that caught my eye, but in the end I chose the R1 partially for the looks but I knew there was no way I could "out grow" the bike. in my honest opinion no one (including myself) actually needs the power of a liter bike, I have actually learned more restrain riding it then I used to show on my FZ6.
certain things were more fun on the FZ like my "top speed" runs. on the R1 there is no question of its capabilities and I have only opened it up a few times. on the FZ, I was always chasing that one more MPH. immature, probably, fun, absolutely. on the R1 the challenge is not there, it does it too easily and quickly. but there are advantages to displacement that can't be made up for. I could feel a loss of performance at the higher elevations on my FZ6, not that the bike was hurting, it just didn't have the "pull" at 8500-9000 ft. that it did at my -235ft. home alt. the R1 doesn't care, if it is down on power at the higher elevations I don't notice it because it has enough power to spare.
bottom line is I think it comes down to what fits your needs and works the best for you. if I didn't ride the twisties and only rode in town my sportster would have been perfect. really the Ninja 250 is about a perfect bike for most riders (ego aside) I don't know to many guys that come close to using the power of a 600 let alone a 1000cc bike in daily use.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Why get a bigger engine?

Power!!!

attachment.php

Value!!!

attachment.php

Smaller engines have more handling!!

attachment.php

The pro's match the con's!!

attachment.php

You must decide what's best for YOU!!!!

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL... is it me or does the dragonball references make that easier to understand? Anyway... I went from a v-twin liter sport bike (vtr1000) to a fz6. I like the fz6. I also really like my buddies r6.

For me, the only time I'd go with a larger displacement is to ride 2 up. Otherwise, kinda pointless, more expensive, and "harder" to handle through the canyons.

Just my two hundredths of a dollar.

KG

[COLOR=\"DarkGreen\"]Why get a bigger engine?

Power!!!

attachment.php

Value!!!

attachment.php

Smaller engines have more handling!!

attachment.php

The pro's match the con's!!

attachment.php

You must decide what's best for YOU!!!![/COLOR]

B

bluenova

my buddy i ride with all the time has a busa. he never wears a helmet and i have seen him ride many times in sandals and shorts. the weird thing is hes not a ****y jerk or anything. just doesnt care i guess. i always atleast wear a helmet and gloves

What's the point in wearing just helmet and gloves? Either you care about keeping your skin on your body while sliding down the road and wear full gear or you don't. I have nothing against freedom of choice and people choosing not to wear safety gear if they are not bothered about the consequences, I just don't get why some people wear partial protection :confused: Are you hoping when you come off that only your head and hands will contact the ground?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been riding for twenty something years, and i have only ever owned 2 bikes bigger than 600cc. A Yamaha XV1100 which i toured Europe 2 up on, and a Yamaha VMax, way back in the day, when i lived in London, and just had to have one!

I like the lighter weight, and better handling offered by a middle weight, only ever found wanting in the presence of bigger, heavier, more costly to insure & register machines on the long straights, more than a match for a bigger bike on most occasions in the tight stuff.

I presently own a Ducati 500 Pantah (sweet handler, deceptively quick), and the FZ6 (no need to explain, but with upgraded suspension, even better!).

Have considered getting a big touring bike for Long rides Interstate...but would not use it enough...too busy working!

My 2 cents. :Flash:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I,m with Wolf on this one,I had a kwaka 1000 with trailer and did a lot of interstate stuff and the bike was perfect, but after the kids came along and I mostly use the bike to commute,well overkill springs to mind,just not worth the extra cost,to me anyways.

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont see a need for a bigger bike on the street. Maybe on big tracks with long straights or if you are drag racing. I think the only bigger bike i would get would be the FJR for touring

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
The same could be said for cars

why drive a dodge viper if a econobox will get you where you want to go?

How many people do you know who are driving beyond their cars limits?

For 99% of the people it comes down to either its what you always wanted or a status symbol...