Will an 06 frame fit an 07 bike?

spunant

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,I've got an 07 FZ6 with a cracked frame (not repairable),just wanted to know if an 06 frame is the same as an 07,is it a direct replacement or is there a difference? .....Its for a track bike.
Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

spunant

Reaction score
Visit site
They should be identical structurally. Not sure if they're both the same color....
Thanks ,
I think the 06 is silver and my 07 is black,but not really worried about the colour ,just as long as all my 07 stuff will bolt straight onto the 06 frame.
Did'nt want to buy this frame and find its different .

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just be carefull this new frame isnt twisted ,otherwise the dropped frame could be potentially as dangerous as the cracked one

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks ,
I think the 06 is silver and my 07 is black,but not really worried about the colour ,just as long as all my 07 stuff will bolt straight onto the 06 frame.
Did'nt want to buy this frame and find its different .

They're both black.

The '06 swingarm has a slightly different shape though (box like) compared to the better looking '07, but both are interchangeable.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing they are not. Just because there has been just so many changes between the the '06 and '07's. They are almost two different bikes. Lots of cosmetic changes and engine placement is different. For example, not sure if this is because of the frame, but the placement and distance of the radiator from the engine is different betweeen the two models. This alone has caused a lot of radiator fans to fail because the change in distance has allowed small rocks and pebbles to get thrown up from the front tire and get lodged inside the fan. A problem that the '06 and previous models have not had to deal with, vs the later models.

But again it's just a guess. I could be wrong.

I would double check before going thru the actual purchase.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
As stated above Kenny, they are interchangeable. It's a direct swap but uses a different axle and chain adjustment system, that's all.

You can still double check... but multiple members have done this mod already and I usually don't lie :D

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing they are not.

But again it's just a guess. I could be wrong.

I would double check before going thru the actual purchase.

You really think Yamaha would change the frame???? I highly doubt it.

Also, you state that they changed the engine placement? This is news to me and I don't think you're correct there either.

As stated above Kenny, they are interchangeable. It's a direct swap but uses a different axle and chain adjustment system, that's all.

You can still double check... but multiple members have done this mod already and I usually don't lie :D

You're talking about the swingarm and Kenny was talking about the frame.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You really think Yamaha would change the frame???? I highly doubt it.

Also, you state that they changed the engine placement? This is news to me and I don't think you're correct there either.

You're talking about the swingarm and Kenny was talking about the frame.

I was referring to the distance between the radiator and the engine. The '07 has a greater distance vs the earlier models, making the spark plug change much easier. I wasn't sure if this had anything to do with the frame being different or not, or effect on how the radiator mounts.

I said it was a guess, and I was admitting that I could be wrong.

But if others have swapped frames between the two years, then there is obviously no worries.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Vegas, you said that the "engine placement is different" which caught my attention....I don't think that statement is correct.

Does anyone know of anyone who has swapped frames between the two years? I don't. That's a big job and I don't remember hearing about it.

Again, Wavex was talking about swingarms, not frames....

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't imagine that Yamaha would have re-tooled to make frame changes... no reason for it and too expensive... I am too lazy to check OEM PNs between the years, but that's one way to check...

spunant

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't imagine that Yamaha would have re-tooled to make frame changes... no reason for it and too expensive... I am too lazy to check OEM PNs between the years, but that's one way to check...

I checked and yes the part numbers are different, I've looked at the 06 bike and it has a silver frame,my 07 is black,maybe thats the only difference ?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I checked and yes the part numbers are different, I've looked at the 06 bike and it has a silver frame,my 07 is black,maybe thats the only difference ?

I just looked up all the different CA models of FZ6 I could find on bikebandit.com

04 2522006-001 $1225
05 7678883-001 $1225
06 no listing
07 6173303-001 $1018
08 6173303-001 $1018

I would have expected the PN to be the same, betwen '04 and '05..... and '06 if there were a listing for it (no FZ6 versions at all in their catalog--- I suspect '06 consumed remaining '05 stock)

'07 and '08 having the same (and another completely different #).... that is more consistent with what I would expect to see. I was surprised to see the price of the frame drop by 17%.... that makes me think the new PN is the reusult of Yamaha 'second sourcing' the frame for a cost reduction.

I have not heard of enough frame damage reports to form an opinion; from what I have read on this forum, there seems to be more trouble '07 and later than previous........

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site

In the US, the frames were GREY from 04 to 05 and then became BLACK from 06 until today.

I guess PNs are not a good indication then... especially if you guys had a grey frame in 06 in Aussie...

I'd still bet that the frames are interchangeable between all years from 04 through 09.

spunant

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to have a look at the bike today,I guess that if I can get it for the right price,then I should be able to build one good bike from these two,it's only for the track so I'm not too worried what it looks like.