will these mods get me over 100hp?

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
so my first bike (a 2009 ninja 650r) i mostly modded for looks, i did add a slip-on but it was for visual appeal more than performance.

NOW i got a 2007 FZ6 and currently it sits around 98hp

i have added a K&N air filter
Akrapovic Slip-on exhaust
PC III

with a custom tune will these little performance mods get me over triple digits in Horse power?

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you know that you are already at 98hp? I have read about people who have done more than that to their bikes on this forum and not read 98hp when they got theirs on a dyno.

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
how will a track school increase my bike's bhp?

also they people that don't have 98hp stock, may have the European version of the FZ6

what are some other peroformance mods i could potentially do?
15t sprocket up front...i can't think of anything else?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
You could go with a r6 stock cam or r6 custom grind and im sure that would take it to 3 digit rating

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
It has 98 at the crank....you won't get 100hp at the wheel with those mods.

Bingo! In stock form, an FZ6 typically puts out horsepower in the mid to upper 80's at the rear wheel. There are frictional losses through the transmission, chain and wheel that cause a difference in power between the crank and wheel.

Unless you add forced induction (turbo or supercharger), nitrous or seriously increase the compression ratio, an FZ6 will never exceed 100 hp at the rear wheel.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Bingo! In stock form, an FZ6 typically puts out horsepower in the mid to upper 80's at the rear wheel. There are frictional losses through the transmission, chain and wheel that cause a difference in power between the crank and wheel.

Unless you add forced induction (turbo or supercharger), nitrous or seriously increase the compression ratio, an FZ6 will never exceed 100 hp at the rear wheel.

You don't think doing all of the typical mods exhaust intake air box toped off with a r6 custom grind and good dyno tune would get to 3 digits

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a chart from mine. The actually rear wheel hp gains are not accurate from the OEM setup because I had a K&N air filter and Two Brothers Racing exhaust to start out with. The chart does show you an honest rear wheel horse power and torque. This is tuned with a healthy fuel to air ratio.

If the crank horse power was 98 and I gained about 3-1/2 rwhp then the motor was probably putting out at least 100 at the crank.

Last edited:

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
how will a track school increase my bike's bhp?

also they people that don't have 98hp stock, may have the European version of the FZ6

what are some other peroformance mods i could potentially do?
15t sprocket up front...i can't think of anything else?

The eruo S2 version from 2007 to 2009 does have less hp than the standard. I assumed that yo were talking about rear wheel hp. Wolfman has done alot to his bike. If I remember correctly his last dyno put him at 98ish hp at the rear wheel. If you were to rig up a forced induction through a K&N along with your slip on, cat eliminator, and pcIII you might clear triple at the rear wheel. Or
You could go with a r6 stock cam or r6 custom grind and im sure that would take it to 3 digit rating

If you do this as well I would assume that you would more than clear that mark.
The great thing about this site is that you can learn a lot. So if you take on the triple hp FZ challenge make sure you make a tread so we can all learn what to do and not do.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
It might be cheaper to just sell the 6 and buy a fz1. That would give you triple digits for sure.

You don't get it yet. If he or any of the rest of us just wanted a bike with more power, there are any number of bikes to be bought. The FZ1 is not a bad bike, but if it were in my garage over the winter the mod gene would kick in and it would transform. Some of us just set out to make our bikes the best most unique FZ6 around. Some go cosmetic, some electrical, some mechanical/performance. Just depends on how many winter it has been with you.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It might be cheaper to just sell the 6 and buy a fz1. That would give you triple digits for sure.

Or take that 3grand price difference between the two and spend that money to go buck wild on ur bike

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
You don't get it yet. If he or any of the rest of us just wanted a bike with more power, there are any number of bikes to be bought.

I've change my seat, windscreen, bars, fork springs and my shock will be going to racetech this winter. All because I believe that is the bikes short comings. But to spend what could be thousands just to get 3 hp (with no guarantee) out of a already great engine just doesn't seem worth it to me. If hp is your thing a liter bike is where it's at.

Someone mentioned on the forum that Wolfman spent 15k on his bike and still didn't get triple digits.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
With a bone stock fz6 I guarantee I could get over 100hp with $3500 or less, make my own exhaust, air box mod, k&n, r6 custom grind cam or maybe buy a whole r6 head off ebay, and a pcIII with my mechanic doing the tuning its a done deal....but I ain't got no money so all I can do is dream

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone mentioned on the forum that Wolfman spent 15k on his bike and still didn't get triple digits.

Depends on how you do the math on his bike. In this discussion we need only count the cost of items impacting performance of the engine. Who cares anyway I call his bike The FrankenFazer and it is sweet.
Realistic cost for the patient individual.
Power commander (used) 200-250
slip on exhaust (forum special) 400-600
K&N air filter (new) 50-60

so for the three main things people rag on other people for doing and speeding to much money on you could spend as little as 650 to 900 usd. Do it right and get a custom tune add another couple hundred. End result maybe about 5-7 more hp in a bike that sounds better and has a custom map so it runs near perfect. (not to lean or rich)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't get it yet. If he or any of the rest of us just wanted a bike with more power, there are any number of bikes to be bought. The FZ1 is not a good bike, but if it were in my garage over the winter the mod gene would kick in and it would transform. Some of us just set out to make our bikes the best most unique FZ6 around. Some go cosmetic, some electrical, some mechanical/performance. Just depends on how many winter it has been with you.

FZ1 is not a good bike???? What the heck do you mean by that?

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 is not a good bike???? What the heck do you mean by that?

Sorry. Let me fix that, and beg your forgiveness. I was intended to read "the FZ1 is not a bad bike, but...". , ADD typing brain ends up a sentence ahead of the fingers. Thought fz1 = good, then well you saw what happened.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry. Let me fix that, and beg your forgiveness. I was intended to read "the FZ1 is not a bad bike, but...". , ADD typing brain ends up a sentence ahead of the fingers. Thought fz1 = good, then well you saw what happened.

Forgiveness is granted. ;)

I do the same thing all the time, fingers are so slow.